PDA

View Full Version : powermatic hudaille jointer

Barry wines
11-08-2009, 9:55 PM
Could someone tell me why I should drive 330 miles to pay 700$ for a used powermatic model 60 hudaille jointer other than they did a better job of seasoning their castings and it was made in America.Thanks

Bill Orbine
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Go for it if it makes you HAPPY:):):):) On the other hand, you don't sound happy about traveling over 300 miles. Especially if you have no idea of the condition of the machine other than the words of the seller.

Alex Shanku
11-08-2009, 11:04 PM
I would say ABSOLUTELY NOT at that price.

Joe Jensen
11-08-2009, 11:58 PM
I would say at that price ABSOLUTELY yes :D

Seriously, depends on condition. I would much prefer a nice used PM model 60 for $700 over any machine I could buy new at that price.

I alway giggle when I read posts from folks saying never pay more than "Screaming Deal" prices. Wonder if those folks sell for that as well.

One last thought. If you buy a nice used machine at fare market value, and you use it for a few years and sell, you will likely get all you paid or more back.

Buy a shiny new Chiwanese tool and sell for 30-50% less.

Bob Aquino
11-09-2009, 8:18 AM
Could someone tell me why I should drive 330 miles to pay 700$ for a used powermatic model 60 hudaille jointer other than they did a better job of seasoning their castings and it was made in America.Thanks

If you have to ask that question, then you probably won't appreciate the difference. Save yourself a drive.

Carroll Courtney
11-09-2009, 8:43 AM
I'm a bid fan of the old american made Powermatic machines and I have several.Built like a tank,heavy so low vibrations,will last you and who ever else a life time.But like any tool it has to be setup right.But for me 700 is on the high side even if it was made in the late 90's or early 2000.(gold series)If you are going to buy a jointer anyway and your tired of the hunt,from tool vendors such as Jet,new PM,Ridgit,etc I would diffently buy the Powermatic.But if yur not in a hurry then keep looking.----Carroll

Joe Jensen
11-09-2009, 1:21 PM
I sold my 1990 Gold PM60 for $800 a year in the Phoenix area.\

Just for my edification, what do you think a FAIR price for a PM60 is?

Seems like most on the web forums would rather spend more on a new import tool. Not sure if this is because new and shiny looks nicer, or if it's just less uncertain.

What is the fair price for an old PM60 in good condition?

What would you recommend over that machine for $700?

Alex Shanku
11-09-2009, 2:59 PM
I sold my 1990 Gold PM60 for $800 a year in the Phoenix area.\

Just for my edification, what do you think a FAIR price for a PM60 is?

Seems like most on the web forums would rather spend more on a new import tool. Not sure if this is because new and shiny looks nicer, or if it's just less uncertain.

What is the fair price for an old PM60 in good condition?

What would you recommend over that machine for $700?

Ive owned 2 PM60's, a PM50 and a 8" Delta circa mid 1950's. Never paid over $500 for any of them and never had to look that hard to find them, either.

Myk Rian
11-09-2009, 3:03 PM
165 miles one way isn't much. It's a day off to see the countryside.
The 165 mile trip back is much nicer when you're hauling cargo like that back.

Michael Schwartz
11-09-2009, 3:06 PM

I paid a little bit more than that for mine when I purchased it used. If its in good condition I would say go for it. Bearings are still so smooth to this day you can't hear the thing run over the dust collector. I know a few people who have looked at my machine have commented its probably better than a new one.

I believe the new equivalent of this machine is at least $1400.00, and it has plastic handles/knobs etc...

But with all that being said if the machine is not in good shape I would try to work the price down a bit. Cosmetic stuff aside ask yourself if its ready to setup and use right now in your shop for years to come.

Joe Jensen
11-09-2009, 8:15 PM
Ive owned 2 PM60's, a PM50 and a 8" Delta circa mid 1950's. Never paid over $500 for any of them and never had to look that hard to find them, either.

I'm guessing PMs are very common in TN? Have you been there where you found them easily? Here $800 today in a down economy is common for a good sound PM60. Before the recession, more like $1000. Every market is different.

Jeff Duncan
11-10-2009, 9:34 AM
I agree with Bob, if you have to ask, call Grizzly, leave the good stuff for someone who'll appreciate it:D
good luck,
JeffD

Chip Lindley
11-10-2009, 2:48 PM
A good chance, while this discussion is ongoing--the PM 60 may have already sold! If you snooze, you looze!

John Shuk
11-10-2009, 3:28 PM
On the other hand you might drive there and find that the guy has some other stuff on the cheap and the deal comes out better.

Barry wines
11-10-2009, 8:57 PM
Thanks to those who have provided me with some insights into what the PM60 has to offer which is smoothness and durability. As a participant in what was the great american industrial experiance I would relish using a machine like the pm houdaille jointer.However driving 330 miles one way on the word of someone who is selling something might be throwing 90$ worth of gasoline away. As for the price ,I am ok with it because most of the machinery resellers on ebay and other listings on craigs list want $1200 plus. Again Thanks Barry