PDA

View Full Version : "The Legs" - Again! Now I am excited!

John Keeton
11-08-2009, 9:29 PM
Been gone for a few days visiting my daughter and grandkids, and have not had any shop time. Prior to leaving, I had completed the faceted portions of the legs.

Today, after a bunch of honeydo catchup, I decided to sand out the legs, apply a coat of BLO, and shellac.

This probably ain't much to you guys, but this is big time stuff for me!!:D My first semi-finished pieces!! Finishing on the lathe is sweeeeeet!

I sanded to 400, and 000 steel wool before BLO/shellac. The plan on this table is to prefinish all parts with at least to a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac. Then, after assembly, I will probably go with Waterlox.

BTW, the legs really are straight. Seems I got a bunch of distortion from the camera.

Dewey Torres
11-08-2009, 9:31 PM
John,
Nice legs and i am not flirting with you. Can you catch me up on what project this is? Sorry I have been offline for a while.

Dennis McGarry
11-08-2009, 9:31 PM
Those look great John! Amazing turning for a flat worker. :) :)

Nice job!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2009, 9:33 PM
John,

You sir, are a natural! Nice legs! Nicely done!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2009, 9:34 PM
Dewey,

John just took up turning and those legs are his first project.

Steve Schlumpf
11-08-2009, 9:43 PM
John - the legs finished up really nice! You should be proud of your accomplishments in turning so far! Well done!

Finishing - especially sanding - on the lathe is so much nicer than flatwork! Just remember to keep the sandpaper moving at all times!

Looking forward to seeing the completed project!

Dewey Torres
11-08-2009, 9:45 PM
Dewey,

John just took up turning and those legs are his first project.
How sweet is that? Way to go John! Welcome to the vortex!

Von Bickley
11-08-2009, 9:46 PM
John,

They look GREAT.......

Kenneth Whiting
11-08-2009, 9:48 PM
Wow John, great work. I don't think I could make one of those, much less 4 of them that look the same.

gary Zimmel
11-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Got love it when a plan comes together John....

Better watch it though, next thing you will be doing is turning bowls.:D
And then wanting another lathe.

Great job on those legs..

Brian Kent
11-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I think I can speak for all of in saying "You've got some mighty fine legs!"

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2009, 10:21 PM
John I am impressed. Those legs really look great. Very well done.

David Christopher
11-08-2009, 10:23 PM
looks great John, I think you have the hang of it now

Steve Mawson
11-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Well on your way, look great to me. You are probably have a great big feeling of accomplishment. Well deserved I might add.

One other thing, would you recommend Waterlox for a kitchen table-solid oak top?

John Keeton
11-09-2009, 8:09 AM
Thanks so much for the encouraging comments! You guys have been very accepting of this old flat worker encroaching periodically into your world.

As originally stated, my interest in lathe work was to produce the various spindle parts for my furniture projects. However, I would have to admit when I walk by my firewood pile on the way to the shop, and see a piece of curly spalted wood, as I did yesterday, it makes me pause. I even split out a piece - just to see what it looks like mind you!! While the bowls and HFs don't pique my interest, I sure like some of the salt/pepper shakers and peppermills you all do. Then, there are those Christmas ornaments, and.... hmmmmm, I may have to get more firewood!

Finishing - especially sanding - on the lathe is so much nicer than flatwork! Just remember to keep the sandpaper moving at all times!Thanks Steve, I learned that lesson early on! Also found that sanding the flats is much easier on the lathe, especially with my dust collection setup. Much cleaner.

Can you catch me up on what project this is? Sorry I have been offline for a while.Dewey, the legs are for a walnut/curly maple occasional table for the great room. This is the plan, such as it is! The shelf will be a little higher than shown, and the center section is curly maple, held by the walnut brackets.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130337&thumb=1&d=1255783733 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130337&d=1255783733) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130334&thumb=1&d=1255783169 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130334&d=1255783169)

I don't think I could make one of those, much less 4 of them that look the same.Not so, Bo!! With the progress you have made, this would be a breeze for you.

Steve, on the Waterlox, this will be my first use of the product, and I am far from a finishing expert. Actually, I am just now evolving from a wipe on poly user. I still like the stuff no matter what anyone says!! It never gave me any adhesion problems, and I never did get the "plastic look." My dining room table, which I built 25 years ago, was finished with wipe on poly, and it has done fine. In fact, nearly every piece I built up until a couple years ago, was done with Minwax wipe on poly. I felt some level of pride even, when FWW declared it the best of the finishes available.

But, in an effort to branch out, I am experimenting with other finishes. I would have to say that I love the look and feel of the BLO and shellac. I could be easily tempted to make shellac the final finish, buffed out with some wax. But, seems the Waterlox offers better protection.

I would suggest you search in the Finishing forum for some ideas on a table top. There are some interesting threads, and 4 or 5 of the creekers in that forum have a world of experience with various finishes. Me, I just muddle through with whatever seems to work.

ROY DICK
11-09-2009, 8:26 AM
John,
Holy cow!! You have combined two trades on the way to some future outstanding projects.
Congratulations on some very nice spindle turnings.

Roy

Jeff Nicol
11-09-2009, 8:30 AM
John, I am whistling out the cat call whistle for those beautiful long legs!! You have done yourself proud! I have promised the LOML a new dining room table and plan on some spindle work on it, so you have inspired me! On the finishing aspect, I think whatever you use as long as it is put on with care and love it will work! I refinished an old cherry swing leg winged table for a nice couple here in town and I used some spar varnish on it as she said it sits on there screen porch and may get some moisture and a small amount of sun light. But then major abuse comes from her 2 young boys (3&4 yrs old). But any way I put 3 coats on it thinned down with mineral spirits sanding with 600grit in between and then hand buffing it out on just the top, it turned out fantastic! So basically I made my own wipe on poly but with Spar urethane and it is killer! Nobody should be afraid to use wipe on poly as it goes on thin, soaks into the wood and builds to a finish any where you want it to be.

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Dewey, Good to see you back in the Vortex also!!

Tony De Masi
11-09-2009, 8:43 AM
John, very nice job on those legs. As you have found out it's not very easy to make a bunch of spindles exactly alike, but you did a great job on those. So now you are thinking about making Christmas gifts huh? I told you so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Brian Effinger
11-09-2009, 9:30 AM
Woo hooo! Nice gams! :D

Rob Cunningham
11-09-2009, 1:46 PM
Great job on the legs John. Can't wait to see the whole project completed.