PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic duck call

Aaron Wingert
11-08-2009, 6:56 PM
It isn't wood...Its a lot tougher to turn! This is my first all-acrylic duck call. Made it from 1-1/2" black acrylic rod, wet sanded from 320 to 2000, then shined it up with plastic polish. It shines like a diamond in a goat's...well, you know.

The band is aluminum, also wet sanded. I stopped it at 1200 just to keep it from becoming too glossy.

Pretty pleased with the sound of it, but I am still tweaking it a little.

I've got a countertop guy laminating me some Wilsonart solid surface material in a variety of colors, and I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out as a duck call material.

Comments and critiques welcome!

Brian Keahey
11-08-2009, 8:38 PM
Aaron, great job on the acrylic call. The more you make, the more tricks you'll learn to make it faster and easier. As far as the solid surface material, it makes a great sounding call. Just be careful with it. Some of the solid surface material can be a little finicky and brittle as a call material. A press fit between the insert and barrel can wear the surfaces and create a lose fit. Play around with a see what works best for you.

Brian.

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2009, 8:40 PM
Aaron that is a really nice looking call. That is one thing I haven't made yet.

Clint Baxter
11-08-2009, 8:47 PM
Nice looking for sure. Where do you get the black acrylic rod in that size?Don't remember seeing anything above pen blank size.

Steve Schlumpf
11-08-2009, 8:51 PM
Looks great Aaron! Some of that solid surface material is amazing and has some great 3-D effects! Should make for some beautiful - and unique - calls!

Aaron Wingert
11-08-2009, 9:40 PM
Thanks Brian. I'll have to do some experimenting with the solid surface material. Worst case, a couple o-rings will solve the issue of a loose fitting insert I suppose, but I hate to do it!

Thanks for the kind words Steve and Bernie. :)

Clint, acrylic rod is pretty much all manufactured by a company called Spartech Townsend. They make it so large you can't even imagine (or afford...mega-expensive)! Pretty much any diameter is available and it is sold in minimum 4' lengths. 4' of 1-1/2" black cost me over $60. Spartech Townsend doesn't retail so you have to buy from one of their distributors. I bought from a company called Delvies Plastics.

Brian Keahey
11-09-2009, 1:31 PM
Aaron, I agree. The "o"rings would solve that problem, but like you, I don't like it. Actually I will not use them at all unless it is requested. A little trick on polishing acrylic I learned from Alvin Taylor is using Brasso instead of a plastic polish. Once you sand down to 2000 grit, hit the call with Brasso on a paper towel and apply a little pressure. This will generate a little heat, and once you wipe off the residue, it will shine like glass. It can be a little messy but is much faster than the plastic polishes I've tried. The acrylics below were polished inside and out with Brasso.

Brian.

Aaron Wingert
11-09-2009, 4:07 PM
Good tip Brian. I've used Brasso for metal but never thought to try it on plastic. I'll give that a shot on the next one. :) Man you make some pretty calls my friend.