PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks in and decided to take a class

Bob Borzelleri
11-08-2009, 6:48 PM
I've had the Nova 1624 for nearly two weeks and have developed a somewhat reasonable relationship with a roughing gouge and a spindle gouge. There are several practice spindles sitting in the corner with all manner of grooves, beads, and other such assaults upon douglas fir, oak from the firewood pile, some birch and a couple of as yet unidentified "exotic" spindle blanks from the impulse bin at the Woodcraft checkout counter.

I've been sharpening up a storm and, in addition to honing the new tools, I have created a 45 degree fingernail profile on the 1/2" spindle gouge with winged sides to boot. Thanks to Mr. Tormek for that.

Now that I am beginning to realize that this is not only fun, but a pretty good opportunity to create fine looking wood things, I've decided to take a class.

So next January I'm hopping on a plane and heading to Las Vegas for 3 days with Jimmy Clewes. I had hoped to get in a December class but they apparently fill up pretty quickly. Between now and then, I'll keep reading Crowley and make every effort to not learn bad habits.

Steve Schlumpf
11-08-2009, 8:48 PM
Bob - Congrats! That is a very smart move to take a class when starting out! Have to admit being a little envious as Jimmy Clewes is one of the best! Have fun - learn lots and be sure to report back to us once the class is over!

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2009, 8:55 PM
Congrats on the class. I saw Jimmy demo and he is excellent. If you can take class that will take a lot of time off the learning curve.

Bob Borzelleri
11-09-2009, 5:13 PM
Thanks Steve and Bernie. I'm looking forward to the class. I'll do a report when I return.

...Bob

Jack Gaskins
01-02-2010, 7:24 PM
I've had the Nova 1624 for nearly two weeks and have developed a somewhat reasonable relationship with a roughing gouge and a spindle gouge. There are several practice spindles sitting in the corner with all manner of grooves, beads, and other such assaults upon douglas fir, oak from the firewood pile, some birch and a couple of as yet unidentified "exotic" spindle blanks from the impulse bin at the Woodcraft checkout counter.

I've been sharpening up a storm and, in addition to honing the new tools, I have created a 45 degree fingernail profile on the 1/2" spindle gouge with winged sides to boot. Thanks to Mr. Tormek for that.

Now that I am beginning to realize that this is not only fun, but a pretty good opportunity to create fine looking wood things, I've decided to take a class.

So next January I'm hopping on a plane and heading to Las Vegas for 3 days with Jimmy Clewes. I had hoped to get in a December class but they apparently fill up pretty quickly. Between now and then, I'll keep reading Crowley and make every effort to not learn bad habits.

Hello, just ran across this thread and wanted to know how you like the Nova 1624? I have enough money to order the new Delta 46-460VS lathe but as always was wondering if I should go a little bigger like with the Nova. I used to make pens on my Jet mini but had to sell it last May. Just need something to learn to make boxes, ornaments and stoppers. Not really interested in making bowls yet so I know the Delta would be a good size but just wondering if I should go BIG'er? Thanks.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-02-2010, 7:59 PM
Hate to say this Jack but nobody can really answer that for you. You can do more/bigger things on a bigger lathe so if you go that way you will have more diversity in your turnings. If you go smaller you will be more limited of course in your projects. So if you don't mind spending the extra $$$ a bigger lathe will allow you to do bigger and more varied projects. I know it's a hard descision as I just made this move myself and went with a smaller lathe.

David E Keller
01-02-2010, 8:04 PM
Congrats on the class. Please report back afterward. I've convinced my wife that the class with Clewes is a good idea for me(mostly by promising a lot of spa time for her in Vegas). I'd love to hear a first hand account from someone who's taken the course. We're probably looking at later in the spring.

Jack Gaskins
01-02-2010, 8:45 PM
Hate to say this Jack but nobody can really answer that for you. You can do more/bigger things on a bigger lathe so if you go that way you will have more diversity in your turnings. If you go smaller you will be more limited of course in your projects. So if you don't mind spending the extra $$$ a bigger lathe will allow you to do bigger and more varied projects. I know it's a hard descision as I just made this move myself and went with a smaller lathe.

Sure is a hard choice to make isn't it. I think the biggest thing is the variable speed. So many turners say how good it was going from none VS to a VS machine that they would never go back. If there was no such thing as variable speed on lathes then I guess I would go with the Nova. Crap,,,,,,,,,,,,,????

Gordon Seto
01-02-2010, 8:53 PM
I have taken a class from Jimmy. It was not at his place, but at our Club. I highly recommend it. He is an experienced teacher, very down to earth. I have seen quite a few professional demonstrations and taken classes from some of them. I think Jimmy's methods are very thoughtful and efficient. In order to get the most out of the class, I would suggest you watch his turning early DVD first. There are too many things to learn, it would be difficult to absorb everything taught without mixing some up. He has revised some procedures since he made the DVD.
You will get the most results from the multiple days class. You will have chance to practice on what you just learned before moving on. With the half day class, usually there is a pressure of taking a finished project home and information overload. By the time you are back to your own shop, you may not be too sure about the sequence of some steps.
You will learn a lot and enjoy it.

Richard Madison
01-02-2010, 8:53 PM
Jack, Jack, Jack,
If you delay the decision long enough, and save money furiously in the meantime, you can go directly to the PM3520B.

Jamie Straw
01-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Congrats on getting signed up for a class, Bob. Take lots of ginseng and Vitamin B, perhaps increase your retention percentage? :D I took a 2-day class before I picked up a tool, and it was really intense, but great fun!