PDA

View Full Version : G1071 Oscillating Spindle Sander

richard poitras
11-08-2009, 5:09 PM
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g1071.jpg

Just wondering is any one has this spindle sander and if so what are your thoughts? And if you would buy it again of recommend it or get something else? It is on sale right now at $669.00 delivered.

Arnold E Schnitzer
11-08-2009, 5:31 PM
I have one that's about ten years old. It's okay, nothing more. Dust collection is mediocre, there's a lot of vibration and noise, and changing the spindles is a PITA. On the plus side, it's strong and heavily built. I got mine used, but I would probably not buy one again.

richard poitras
11-08-2009, 5:55 PM
Arnold, what makes it so hard (PITA) to change the spindles? I currently have a Delta Boss and have been thinking about up grading.

Sherzod Niazov
11-08-2009, 6:19 PM
I bought mine new about 2 years ago. It's a very solid piece of equipment, heavy, quiet and powerful. It can take off a lot of wood fast. For improved dust collection I clamp "Big Gulp" dust hood behind the spindle, no dust issues. Overall I am very pleased with it.

Mike Heidrick
11-08-2009, 6:35 PM
I bought one used and it is simple to change spindles and very solid and not much vibration at all. I probably speant that after including my cost to go get it. The one I bought had about 10 extra zero clearence inserts made as the previous owner was a metal worker.

I recently noticed a leak of the hyd fluid. Man that stuff smells.

I think that $669 is a great price!

Ron Bontz
11-08-2009, 7:08 PM
I have the shop fox version and it works just fine. The dust collection as mentioned could be better. All they really needed to do was increase the height of the existing dust collecting hood. Not sure why they didn't.

Carroll Courtney
11-08-2009, 7:14 PM
I have that sander and its about 5yrs old still works great.No,its not top of the line but neither is the price.Have no regrats buying it and if I had to do over,I would buy it again.Changing spindles is alittle of a pain and the wrenches that came with it "stinks",you would think that for 6-700bucks the wrenches would be better.It will take some wood off---Pics,better seesome pics---Carroll

Mike Heidrick
11-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Great price on a GREAT machine. You will love it. spindeles are easy to go on on mine and no vibration to speak of.

Steve Rowe
11-08-2009, 11:58 PM
I have one that's about ten years old. It's okay, nothing more. Dust collection is mediocre, there's a lot of vibration and noise, and changing the spindles is a PITA. On the plus side, it's strong and heavily built. I got mine used, but I would probably not buy one again.

Ditto. Mine was purchased March 1998 and has same problems noted. The coupling fell apart after 30 seconds of run time. I will also add that the inserts are lousy. Who puts 1/8" thick inserts in a recess that is about 1/2" deep with about 1/2" leveling screws? Guaranteed to leave marks on your workpiece. I would definitely not buy this one again.

Arnold E Schnitzer
11-09-2009, 9:29 AM
Arnold, what makes it so hard (PITA) to change the spindles? I currently have a Delta Boss and have been thinking about up grading. It requires two wrenches applied in a confined space. And the shaft has a tendency to lock up, so I apply anti-seize compound. I just don't think the spindle-change system was well-thought-out.

Dino Drosas
11-09-2009, 9:54 AM
I too have had this sander for over 10 years and it has served me well. never one problem. Dust collection is great by just putting masking tape over the front opening under the table at the spindle change access. Throw away the wrenches that came with it and buy a couple of cheap open end ones. Nothing else out there in this size for the money.

richard poitras
11-09-2009, 7:07 PM
Well it looks like we have a 5 to 2 ratio on liking and disliking???

Clay Crocker
11-09-2009, 7:38 PM
I went from the BOSS to that Griz machine two years ago; it is a definite step up. For the money, I think this machine is a good value.

Clay

Scott T Smith
11-10-2009, 2:42 AM
I've had two of them. The first one was BBQ'd in a shop fire last year, and I replaced it with the same thing. I would label it as a "good machine", not a "great" one. However, I would label it as a "great" value.

Same comments as the other posters re improving the dust collection, and easier access to the spindle nuts - it's a little tight fitting two hands and two wrenches in that narrow opening.

Steve Kohn
11-10-2009, 8:15 PM
I've had two of them. The first one was BBQ'd in a shop fire last year, and I replaced it with the same thing. I would label it as a "good machine", not a "great" one. However, I would label it as a "great" value.

Same comments as the other posters re improving the dust collection, and easier access to the spindle nuts - it's a little tight fitting two hands and two wrenches in that narrow opening.

+1....I guess that make it 8 in favor of the machine.

joe milana
11-10-2009, 8:46 PM
Can someone list some examples of spindle sanders, competitively priced, and even high end models? I just can't find any others. (besides the jet, which is probably identical to the Grizzly)

PS. I tested the Grizzly at the Springfield store once.
it was heavy, smooth, and plenty powerful. I just didn't take the time to try changing spindles.

Mike Heidrick
11-10-2009, 9:08 PM
More of the same floor models
Shop Fox W1686
Gneral International 15-020M1
Steel City 55200
Tannewitz OVS-JM

Hand Held Porter Cable 121

Bench top:
Wilton 99179
General Int 15-220M1
Clayton Oscilating spindle sander model 140
Rockwell RK9011
Delta SA350K
Triton
Grizzly G0538
Ridgid
HF triton clone
HF chicago toolworks
Ryobi

Grizzly Combo G0529
Hybrid benchtop/open stand Grizzly G9922

Industrial
Boice Crane SD2300-17
Tannewitz OVS
Clayton model 125
Clayton model 100

richard poitras
11-10-2009, 9:48 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Heidrick;1256879]More of the same floor models
Shop Fox W1686
Steel City 55200
Tannewitz OVS-JM

Mike, in looking at your list of comparable sanders most of them look almost identical to the Grizzly in specs and looks but at a higher price of at least about $300.00 delivered. I do think that the Grizzly is defiantly the best bang for the buck! IMO…

Thanks for the list.

Richard

joe milana
11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
More of the same floor models
Shop Fox W1686
Steel City 55200
Tannewitz OVS-JM

Hand Held Porter Cable 121

Bench top:
Wilton 99179
General Int 15-220M1
Clayton Oscilating spindle sander model 140
Rockwell RK9011
Delta SA350K
Triton
Grizzly G0538
Ridgid
HF triton clone
HF chicago toolworks
Ryobi

Grizzly Combo G0529
Hybrid benchtop/open stand Grizzly G9922

Industrial
Boice Crane SD2300-17
Tannewitz OVS
Clayton model 125
Clayton model 100

Ask and ye shall receive...Thanks for the List Mike!
Lottery winners...get the Tannewits OVS.
The rest of us mere mortals...its just a spindle sander, get what you can justifiably afford, and make do.

Dave Hoselton
11-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Lottery winners...get the Max VS1…the highly regarded sander which originated the Tannewitz OVS.

In it's last days, Max of San Jose, Ca. sent the VS1 to chiwan to lower production costs. It became the Max OVS for a short while before being acquired by Tannewitz and is still produced offshore.

If you find a Max VS1 - or didn’t win the lottery and get a used OVS - it's probably missing some spindles, and those lock nuts become rounded from years of spindle changes. Parts are spendy from Tannewitz, but fortunately are comparatively reasonable from Grizzly.

Yep, a small world over there cause the G1071 mechanism is also the spittin image of the venerable VS1. Now that’s a bargain at $669.

Its doubtful spindles tolerances are as tight (the vibration some experience?), and the table inserts are different. Wish I had Mike’s luck and got some extras with my OVS. Lockheed originally used it for patterns and to finish restoration inserts need to be replaced.

James Boster
11-11-2009, 4:55 AM
Don't rule out State mfg. I have an older State B4 and love it. State is still in business and recently slowed production of the spindle sanders since the guy (George) who built them retired. However I have heard that they are going to resume production of the spindle sanders. Wouldn't hurt to call. Price is not going to be in the Grizzly range however.

J. Greg Jones
11-11-2009, 6:10 AM
Can someone list some examples of spindle sanders, competitively priced, and even high end models? I just can't find any others. (besides the jet, which is probably identical to the Grizzly).

I compared the Jet, the Grizzly, and the Shop Fox before buying my sander. There are some differences in the machines. I wanted to like the Jet as I have a Jet table saw, jointer, and lathe and am impressed with all three. What I found is that the Jet has the smallest table of the three, but the bigger issue is that the Jet has stamped trunions while the Shop Fox and Grizzly have cast trunions. The Shop Fox has a bigger table than the Grizzly, and the Shop Fox table tilts forward and back while the other two tilt forward only.

The Shop Fox has a two year warranty, the Grizzly has a one year warranty, and the Jet has a five year warranty. I bought the Shop Fox during an eBay sale and it was only about $50 more than the then current price for the Grizzly. That's about the most I would pay extra for the Shop Fox over the Grizzly. Spending considerably more for the Jet, which is arguably a lesser machine, just for the longer warranty just did not pencil out for me. Oh, and I've been very pleased with the Shop Fox and I expect the Grizzly is just as nice.