PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM200 problem

David Dalzell
11-08-2009, 4:56 PM
:(I have had a PM2000 since April this year. So far I have been extremely pleased with this tablesaw. But today I ran into a serious problem. This is my first tablesaw and my lack of experience may have caused the problem, but I am not sure, so I am asking the forum for advice. I was installing a dado set (27/32") to cut box joints. Also this was my first use of a dado set (Freud). After putting the dado set (27/32) plus the arbor collar on the arbor I noticed that there were not very many threads left on the arbor for the arbor nut. Maybe 1 1/2 turns by hand. I assumed this was nornal. Anyway when I started to tighten the nut on the arbor both the nut and the arbor stripped about 1 turn on each.
Is it normal to have so little thread space left when using a 27/32" dado set?
Should the arbor collar be used with a dado set or left off and use the arbor nut only in order to get more arbor threads available?
Can I order a new arbor and replace it myself or is this a factory only type operation?
I will call Powermatic technical services on Monday to see what they/I can do but ????

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

glenn bradley
11-08-2009, 5:08 PM
I leave the arbor collar off when I use my dado set. As to how wide a stack you can use, if there is enough arbor thread left to FULLY engage the nut, you're good. In my saw's case, the nut requires just under 1/4" of threaded shaft be available to me. Any less than full thread contact with the nut and you should go with a thinner stack and make multiple passes.

Chuck Isaacson
11-08-2009, 7:05 PM
I leave the arbor collar off when I use my dado set. As to how wide a stack you can use, if there is enough arbor thread left to FULLY engage the nut, you're good. In my saw's case, the nut requires just under 1/4" of threaded shaft be available to me. Any less than full thread contact with the nut and you should go with a thinner stack and make multiple passes.

When you say "full thread contact," do you mean thread protrusion? As in threads sticking out of the back of the nut? Just curious.

CHuck

george wilson
11-08-2009, 7:07 PM
Also sounds like pretty soft metal to strip like that,unless you were tightening way too hard.

Chip Lindley
11-08-2009, 7:52 PM
Usta Be that TS spindle threads were hardened and ground! (even my ol' '70s Crapsman!) Hard to strip those! But these days, who knows?? The PM2000 is an expensive top-of-the-line saw. NEW in April, it is certainly still under warranty. PM should stand by it!

Gary McNair
11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I've had a similar problem w/ my '89 Delta Contractors saw. I am only able to get a 5/8" +/- dado stack on the arbor. I use the collar also. At 1 1/2HP, I've lived with this but will upgrade soon to a 3hp cabinet saw - mfg not yet determined. The arbor length will be a factor in my final decision. I believe the new Delta Unisaw states their arbor length is longer than normal.
I think many of us would be curious of the outcome - discussion w/ Powermatic.
Keep us posted.

Jim Eller
11-09-2009, 1:04 PM
I had the same issue with my PM66.

Maybe this will help too. I asked the question on a different forum. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=4520611&Forum=f2&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=4519509&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=7990&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post4520611

David Dalzell
11-09-2009, 1:11 PM
:D I contacted Powermatic this morning and was very pleased with the response from Technical Support. They will send a new arbor plus arbor nut ASAP. NO CHARGE. They called it a "Good will" fix. The technical support guy also said that when using a dado set leave off the arbor collar if there is not enough thread space left. Live and learn. Just as an aside I learned that JET owns Powermatic. Any way thanks to everyone.

Mike Heidrick
11-09-2009, 1:30 PM
WMH owns Jet and Powermatic.

Lewis Cobb
11-09-2009, 1:40 PM
:D I contacted Powermatic this morning and was very pleased with the response from Technical Support. They will send a new arbor plus arbor nut ASAP. NO CHARGE. They called it a "Good will" fix. The technical support guy also said that when using a dado set leave off the arbor collar if there is not enough thread space left. Live and learn. Just as an aside I learned that JET owns Powermatic. Any way thanks to everyone.

Hi David - I'm a little late to the party here, but your experience with Powermatic's tech service is the same as mine - I've had a few issues with my new PM2000 and they have been great and stuck with me until the problems were sorted out, sending out replacement parts etc. and I'm located up here in Canada. Stuff magically appears at my door, no customs paperwork or hassles of any kind.

The only problem I have had with PM's tech support is MY problem not theirs - as tech support is located in Tennessee, the southern accent of the fellow that I talk to is a struggle for me to follow. I have to really concentrate so I am not looking like a fool constantly saying "sorry, what did you say?" :D

I have not used a dado stack on my saw yet so will remember to leave the collar off if need be. Thanks for the follow up and info on this.

Karl Brogger
11-09-2009, 5:26 PM
:confused:

Its a blade stabilizer, nothing more. You don't need it with a dado set.