PDA

View Full Version : Circles - Sanding the edge

Jim Eller
11-08-2009, 3:25 PM
After cutting circles with a bandsaw circle jig, how do you sand the edges to keep the thing round and eliminate any flat spots?

I currently use my Ridgid belt/spindle sander with the belt but I find it difficult to keep even pressure and even movement. Of course, I can't keep the thing moving and have to re-grip which also can create problems.

There must be a jig for this process.

Help!

Thanks,
Jim

Rich Neighbarger
11-08-2009, 4:27 PM
Yes, same setup as your bandsaw circle cutting jig except on a disc sander.

Tom Veatch
11-08-2009, 4:28 PM
I use a jig/fixture on my disc sander that's similar to the bandsaw circle jig - a pivot point on a runner in the t-slot of the sander's table.

Joe Scharle
11-08-2009, 4:38 PM
I use a jig/fixture on my disc sander that's similar to the bandsaw circle jig - a pivot point on a runner in the t-slot of the sander's table.

+1
Disk sander is always sanding in the same direction as the end grain in this case, and a little hand sanding on the long grain is what works for me.

Karl Card
11-08-2009, 4:52 PM
i am not fortunate enough to have some nice sanders yet but depending ont he size of the cirlce and what I am using it for i put it on the lathe. very fast and effecient.

Bob Vallaster
11-08-2009, 4:54 PM
If this is not a high-volume job, a portion of the off-cut has the same arc (within ~1/16")...
Line the arc with a layer or two of sandpaper and give it a lick.

BobV

glenn bradley
11-08-2009, 5:32 PM
I'm with Rich, Tom and Joe.

Prashun Patel
11-08-2009, 7:46 PM
Not that I've tried it, but you can use a sanding disk on a table saw if you don't have a disk sander. The jig would be the same as the bandsaw jig.

Jim Eller
11-08-2009, 8:02 PM
Karl,

I'm not fortunate enough to have a lathe:D

Jim

i am not fortunate enough to have some nice sanders yet but depending ont he size of the cirlce and what I am using it for i put it on the lathe. very fast and effecient.