PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Decision

Tim Allaire
11-08-2009, 3:10 PM
Is a powermatic 54a that much better than a ridgid jointer? Other than length of tables arent they about the same? Price being a small factor, is it worth the extra $300 (Trying to avoid overly cost mill lumber-make small furniture and plan to use it extensively in years to come). Say ouch now or up grade later?

Tim

Gary Herrmann
11-08-2009, 5:55 PM
Granted, I've never used a Rigid jointer, but I'd say yes. Spend the money now, you won't be sorry. I had a 54a. Great jointer. I don't know if they all have indexed knives now, but get that feature if you can - it makes knife changes much faster. Only reason I sold it is I got a ridiculously good deal on a General 8".

RickT Harding
11-08-2009, 6:38 PM
I've got a ridgid and I wish I had something else. With the open base it's very top heavy. I really don't like using it for anything longer than 5' boards. Changing knives sucks, and of course....I really wish I had an 8" model.

If had to do it over again I'd be looking at the 8" grizzly models. Of course I got my ridgid used for $150 so I don't have a ton of $$ into this one.

Dave Lehnert
11-08-2009, 6:44 PM
I have a 6" JET and wish I had a larger jointer. But since my planer is 12", 8" jointer does not make sense to me. If I make the jump it will be a 12".

Kyle Iwamoto
11-08-2009, 9:07 PM
I have the Ridgid jointer. I think it's a great jointer CONSIDERING THE PRICE. I don't own a PM, but I would say that the Ridgid would not be a fair comparison.

If you want a quality jointer, get the PM. If you want a cheap alternative, the Ridgid is a great buy.

glenn bradley
11-08-2009, 9:50 PM
I feel bad for anyone who asks about a 6" jointer because they can't escape the "don't get a 6" you'll just lose money when you upgrade" chant that 90 out of 100 of us respond with. That being said, if a 6" will meet your needs (and many folks find that to be the case) and it is an older PM it is probably worth the extra dough. The newer mustard (along with others) lost out to Grizzly green when I finished my decision process on jointers.

Tim Allaire
11-09-2009, 8:57 AM
I have some 8" capabilities (I have the mini jet jointer-limited use due to small outfeed though-which is why I am up grading). I guess if you really need something can always use a sled and your planer though. I mean for 90% of the material you are going to use I would assume 6in would be okay, right?

Tim

Michael Peet
11-09-2009, 9:49 AM
The newer mustard (along with others) lost out to Grizzly green when I finished my decision process on jointers.

I'm seriously considering getting the PM 60HH (8" jointer) with the 15% off sale later this month. The only reason I'm considering PM over Grizz is the fact that you can get the Byrd heads pre-installed. I don't want to tackle that myself.

Mike

Prashun Patel
11-09-2009, 9:55 AM
Price being a small factor, is it worth the extra $300?

I'm googling the PM54A at about $900. I got my Ridgid for $250.

Trying to avoid overly cost mill lumber-make small furniture and plan to use it extensively in years to come
If that's the case, then get an 8" jointer now. That being said, I think the Ridgid 6" is a great 'starter' jointer. It's not that much of an investment and will get you by for many years. There are many tricks to flattening wider boards especially if you have a planer. Once you REALLY learn what features are important to you - or how you really use your jointer, you can determine whether a larger one is your cup of tea. Further, the Ridgid is generally well regarded and you should be able to recoup at least $100 of your original purchase price if you sell within a few years...

Tim Allaire
11-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I got a deal for the PM $750 and the Ridgid for $430 (new). I really dont have a whole lot of experience and need to be spending the extra on Parallel clamps (I dont own any-all pipe clamps). I just was wondering if I truly am going to regret no spending the extra on a jointer that is so nice (to me) the first time.

Rod Sheridan
11-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I got a deal for the PM $750 and the Ridgid for $430 (new). I really dont have a whole lot of experience and need to be spending the extra on Parallel clamps (I dont own any-all pipe clamps). I just was wondering if I truly am going to regret no spending the extra on a jointer that is so nice (to me) the first time.

Yes you are, go for the PM, without question.

Regards, Rod.

Prashun Patel
11-09-2009, 10:29 AM
You can do much - like 50% better - on the Ridgid @ $430.

Tim Allaire
11-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Where/when (ridgid)? PM will be sold soon at that price (may be able to get it at $700).

Kent A Bathurst
11-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes you are, go for the PM, without question.

Regards, Rod.

Agreed - don't buy any tool and then spend your time thinking about the one you didn't get. The $$ are important, but fade quickly with time.

That said - if you are pretty sure the 6" will accomodate your needs, then the PM. My personal situation - I started with a 6", and quickly realized that the supply of rough lumber was significanlty greater if I had an 8" jointer. I was ripping wood to get it across the jointer. Went to 8" PM 60A after 18 months (no room for 12"). The moral of the story - if you just want to get going, but expect to need an upgrade in a few years, then the Rigid today might make more sense as a place-holder. You'd "only" eat a couple hundred $$ on the sale of the used rigid.

Doug Shepard
11-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I've been using a PM54 (not 54A) for about 20 years now and it's been a solid machine. Cant help with info on the Ridgid. My 54 will finally be going on CL soon as my 12" Hammer jointer/planer showed up last Friday. It will be nice having 12" jointer width but I was able to get an awful lot done with the 6" Powermatic.

Tim Allaire
11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Knowing that I have other necessities in the shop (of course clamps, I have wanted parallel clamps for quite some time, and you just can never have enough). I think the Ridgid will be a good stepping stone (I have a 10% discount-making it half the price of the PM with tax). After the kids are grown I might upgrade, I am sure I will know what it is that I need by then. Thanks for all the input.

t

Rick Fisher
11-09-2009, 2:27 PM
People always chime in that 6" isnt wide enough and you should get an 8", because its really good advice..

I upgraded from a 6" Delta X, to a 1000lb, 12" Griggio PF-310 with a 4hp motor..

So I never owned an 8" Jointer.. What people dont realize is that an 8" Jointer isnt just 25% more machine..

Longer beds, bigger motor, wider.. bigger fence..

The Fence on my Griggio is 7" High x 54" long.. its bigger than the bed on my old Delta X.. Edge jointing really wide slabs is awesome..

I would look carefully at the choices available in the 8" Machines..

The Ridgid vs Powermatic is like Dr. Laura VS Mike Tyson.. They can both throw a punch, but they should not be in ring at the same time..

Myk Rian
11-09-2009, 2:34 PM
I just sold a Jet 6" because I got a Griz 8". The size of lumber I could mill was the important factor. If you can, get an 8". You won't regret it.

Tim Allaire
11-09-2009, 2:42 PM
Which I initially started my decision to buy a different jointer. I have the 8" Jet Bench jointer. I can use if for anything under 4'. I have thought about buying a roller stand (shopfox with 10 rollers) and work with it until I got it straight.

Otherwise I dont think I can run a 2hp motor in my shed. I have a 10a 100ft extension cord to my workshed. Need it to be 115v not 230 which was one of the reasons I was considering either the PM or Ridgid.

Wayne Jolly
11-09-2009, 3:02 PM
I have the Ridgid 6" jointer and it has been serving me well. I actually wanted a bigger jointer, but when I got the Ridgid new-in-box for only $150. . .what the heck. Besides, since my shop is my garage, I don't really have the space for a larger jointer anyway. I still have to put my jointer on a mobile base and roll it in and out as needed.

Now having said that, I will also have to say that there have been a few times that I wished I had a bigger one. And a few of those times I am not sure if an 8" would have been big enough either. I think my 6" handles about 90% of my needs, and an 8" would only add maybe another 5% or so. As for the remaining 5 ish %, I just have to find another way.

To know if the Ridgid will work for you, you just have to look at your budget, your space, how often you will use it, and what you intend to build. If you are going to be building small things then the 6" will most likely be fine. But bigger stuff often means bigger tools so . . .

xeddog

Tim Allaire
11-09-2009, 10:12 PM
I got a deal for 600 for a the longbed quick knife change Jet 6in jointer. I think it is a major step up from the Ridgid but still not the PM 54a. I think this might be my best option. Will I miss the ten inches? (Jet 56in and PM 66in)

glenn bradley
11-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm seriously considering getting the PM 60HH (8" jointer) with the 15% off sale later this month. The only reason I'm considering PM over Grizz is the fact that you can get the Byrd heads pre-installed. I don't want to tackle that myself.

Mike

I am so with you (even though I was told it is no big deal) I did not want to do the head myself. The Griz I chose had the spiral head installed (G0490X). I vacillated for a long time and got input from folks who ran Griz and Byrd heads both, in their shops, which helped.

I am definitely NOT trying top talk anyone into something or out of what they want to do. We each have our own lists of features that are important to us to help sort through the choices. There have been many, many posts from very happy PM jointer owners on here.

Tim Allaire
11-10-2009, 8:29 AM
Arent they the same machine (only weightwise a little different)

Tim Allaire
11-10-2009, 8:46 AM
I think I follow you. Pictures?

Myk Rian
11-10-2009, 9:12 AM
With a rabbeting jointer, it is very doable to joint stock wider than the tables, but you need a planer to finish the job.
Joint a rabbet into one face, place that face on a flat board, and send it through the planer. When the opposing face is flat, flip the board over and remove the rabbet.
A 6" jointer will do a 10" board comfortably.

John Shuk
11-10-2009, 9:36 AM
Can't say if a Powermatic is better or not but I love my Rigid for what I do.

Tom Adger
11-10-2009, 9:40 AM
I can't comment on the PM, since I have never used one. I have had the 6" Ridgid for a year, and really like it. Got it on Ebay for $215, and it had only been used 2-3 times. Tables and fence were flat.

There was an earlier comment about it being top heavy, and easily tipping. I bolted a couple of 2x4's across each end, and added wheels. It has never tipped, and is mobile.

Jim Eller
11-10-2009, 5:32 PM
I just sold my two old PM 54A for $600 with an extra set of blades.

It was a good jointer but I came across a brand new(never had a plug put on the cord) Grizzly with spiral head for the same price so I made the move. The extra 2" is nice but the spiral head is nicer. My planer has one too and I wouldn't got back.

Jim

Adam Slutsky
11-10-2009, 7:00 PM
I have used a Rigid jointer for about two years now. I bought it used for $150 not expecting much (and upgrading from a bench top model). I am just a hobbyist and have never used another large jointer. I have not yet changed/sharpened the knives. Overall I'm very pleased with it. It does a fine job and is easy to use and adjust. I would say it depends on your use and level of expectation. If, like me, you are a hobbyist and use it once in a while then I think it would be fine. If you are a pro and use it constantly, then I'd bet the PM would be worthwhile.

Roger Jensen
11-10-2009, 7:14 PM
I assume you mean you have a 10 gauge, not 10 amp wire, no?

Tim Allaire
11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Right sorry. 10 Gauge not 10 Amp. Thanks. Regardless I aint gonna work for 230v machine

Don Jarvie
11-11-2009, 3:22 PM
Tim,

Not to hijack the thread but if I read your posts correctly you have one 10g extension powering the shed or for the jointer?

Either way you may want to consider keeping what you have and upgrading the power to the shed. Add a few 120 and 240 circuits and dump the cords.

You can save money by doing the electrical work like running lines, etc yourself and having an electrican do the hookups.

I have a 50amp panel in my detached garage and couldn't be happier. No more cords from the house.

Greg Wittler
11-11-2009, 3:49 PM
I originally looked at the rigid, then a PM54 showed up on Cl for Cheep but it was a 3phase and needs a rotary converter, so that was the end of that, I then looked at the Grizz *' because I started seeing a lot of posts about the whole 6" or 8" dilemma. I too was wanting one with the Byrd Cutter and figured with the cost of the regular Grizz 8" Parrallelgram is $850 and the Byrd Cutter Is only $325.00 more (through Grizzly) and the regular cutter I would have on hand if I ever needed a spare. The Byrd on the Powermatic is a $500.00 upgrade.

Tim Allaire
11-11-2009, 8:07 PM
going to make my final decision tomorrow. boys down at the shop say they have anew PM $700 in box. So far I have only tracked down a felder (outta my league) and a delta table jointer on CL. I think im leaning toward the PM on account of the Quick Change knives and the shear weight issue (not to mention 66in vs 46in in table length)