PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old FineWoodworking / Wood magazines

Roger Jensen
11-08-2009, 2:14 PM
Hi All,

I have almost nine years of FineWoodworking and Wood magazines. Since I use FineWoodworking's online site for old content and I'm running out of space in general, I just want to get rid of them.

I'm not interested in selling them and boxing them up, but it seems like a waste to just recycle them. I doubt libraries would want this stuff.

Any ideas what to do with these things? I guess I could post them in the classified section for a free pickup if someone live in the SF Bay area.

Roger

ROY DICK
11-08-2009, 2:28 PM
Roger,
That is one heck of an offer, even though I am no where close, I just think that is a great gesture on your part.

Roy

Brian Effinger
11-08-2009, 3:09 PM
How about donating them to a local school that still has a shop class?

Martin Shupe
11-08-2009, 3:27 PM
Actually, libraries do want them to sell at old book sales.

Half price books will also buy them.

Or donate them to another woodworker who wants them.

keith ouellette
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM
I know you said you are not interested in selling them but you can get over a buck a piece for the FW plus shipping if they are in good shape. Especially if you have all the issues. There are 26 issues on ebay right now and the 7th bid is $33 and 3 in that series are missing.

Denny Rice
11-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I keep the ones I want to keep for future reference(s). The others I know I will never use, about once a year I donate them to our local hospital for them to put in waiting areas though out the hospital. Never know when a future Norm may pick up a woodworking magazine for the first time and get bitten by the bug.

Horton Brasses
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
How about donating them to a local school that still has a shop class?

I was going to make the same suggestion. There have to be at least a couple in the bay area. School shop programs are under constant attack for any number of reasons. Any resource they don't have to pay for is appreciated and well used.

Wayne Sparkman
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
As it is Veterans Day, what about donating them to the SF VA Hospital:

San Francisco VAMC
4150 Clement Street
San Francisco, CA 94121
Phone: (415) 221-4810
Toll-free: (877) 487-2838

Mike Sheppard
11-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Wayne has a good idea, my wife was a VA nurse and took my read outdoor mags and put them in the lounge. She said the vets would wear them out before the next batch got there.
Mike

Moshe Eshel
11-15-2009, 3:46 AM
I'd think any library would be glad to accept if they are in acceptable condition. Also almost any business with a waiting room (doctor, dentist, hairdresser) would be glad to have them.
You could easily sell them on eBay or locally (consider the cost of back-issues from FWW).

Also a neat idea is one I got from http://bookcrossing.com - check it out...

Peter R. Kuna III
11-15-2009, 2:07 PM
If you Google "San Francisco woodworking classes," you can find several
places in the Bay Area where I'm certain you could find someone grateful
to take them off your hands. Just a suggestion from a beginner.