PDA

View Full Version : VS router question

Paul Mathers
11-08-2009, 1:42 PM
I am building a router table and I have freud vs router I was wondering if I could put VS dial/switch on outside of cabinet so I dont have to open cabinet to change speeds. Thanks,Paul

Bill Arnold
11-08-2009, 2:30 PM
The speed controls I've checked on cannot be used on variable-speed routers. Depending on how your router is wired internally, you might be able to bypass the variable-speed control on it.

Gerry Werth
11-08-2009, 3:03 PM
I agree with Bill, everything I've read says speed controls cannot be used on VS routers.:(

Tom Veatch
11-08-2009, 4:39 PM
As already stated, the 3rd party speed controls are typically incompatible with the Soft Start/Variable Speed electronics in the router.

But, if maintaining the router's warranty isn't a factor, you're willing to risk it, and the router's internal electronics is self-contained and removable, you might be able to splice in some extension wires and relocate the electronics to the outside of the table. That's on the roundtoit list for my table mounted PC7518.

glenn bradley
11-08-2009, 5:33 PM
Tom's got your options. Not sure where the control is on your unit. I mounted my Milwaukee in the lift so that the VS control faces the door. I open the door and its right there.

P.s. +1 on no additional VS control on a softstart VS router circuit.

Paul Mathers
11-08-2009, 7:21 PM
my vs control is on the bottom of the router it wont be to bad just thought it would be easier outside table thanks for your advice