PDA

View Full Version : White oak rough out and pith

Alan Tolchinsky
11-08-2009, 1:35 PM
Hi All, I'm roughing out some bowls for a change; haven't done it for awhile. I wanted to know how much of the pith to remove. Do you remove just the very center part the pith or a larger amount? How do you know how much to remove? I understand that white oak cracks easily and I'm trying to avoid this if possible. I'm just wrapping them in newspaper along with shavings in a brown paper bag. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

Bill Bolen
11-08-2009, 4:18 PM
Alan it has been my experience that WO will warp quite a bit. I turn about 1/2" below the center of the pith (minimum), seal the end grain inside and out put it in a brown paper bag and forget about it for 8 months or so. I have not had any losses since I went this route. In the past I just bagged it with shavings and put it away but lost about half of the rough outs that way because of huge cracks...Bill..

Ron Bontz
11-08-2009, 6:53 PM
Bill, What did you seal the end grain with? I have about 6 of them I have roughed out the last couple of weeks.

Fred Belknap
11-08-2009, 7:57 PM
I have pretty good luck with boiling white oak, they warp pretty bad but don't crack. I turn them kinda thick so can be rounded up when they dry. I just let them set on the shelf for two or three weeks.

charlie knighton
11-08-2009, 7:59 PM
earlier this week i put some in cardboard barrels, i have never turned white oak, the white oak has less sapwood than the red oak i have been turning

Bill Bolen
11-08-2009, 9:27 PM
I just use anchor seal and bag...Bill..

Alan Tolchinsky
11-08-2009, 9:49 PM
Thanks Bill, I'm getting some Anchor seal tomorrow and will be sealing and re bagging.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-08-2009, 9:52 PM
I have pretty good luck with boiling white oak, they warp pretty bad but don't crack. I turn them kinda thick so can be rounded up when they dry. I just let them set on the shelf for two or three weeks.

Thanks Fred, I always wanted to try the "boiling method" and may give it a try. I read it somewhere that you boil for 1 hr. after boiling begins. What's your technique?

Fred Belknap
11-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Alan: I boil for an hour after it comes to a boil. I have a friend he says he boils for 30 minuets. I put some dishwashing det. like Dawn in it to. Don't let them cool down in the water, take them out with a set of tongs. Hotdog turners. I use a canner, try to do it when the wife is away :).