PDA

View Full Version : Does this dovetail have a name?

Zach England
11-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I saw these dovetails looking at the Lie Nielsen site. Does it have a name? It looks stunningly difficult to do.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/no2idt.jpg

gary Zimmel
11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
It's called a hounds tooth Zach..

Not the easiest to do....

Pat Zabrocki
11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
search the forum for houndstooth. Mark Singer had a really nice post about them some time ago.
cheers
pat

Zach England
11-08-2009, 12:45 PM
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

lowell holmes
11-08-2009, 1:15 PM
Rob Cosman shows how to do it in his advanced dovetail video.

Narayan Nayar
11-08-2009, 1:33 PM
Not that I could do a set myself without it looking like a hound's mouth minus several teeth, but isn't that a set normal through dovetails with two baselines?

gary Zimmel
11-08-2009, 2:31 PM
In essence yes Narayan.

Trick is remembering what to chop out and what to leave.:eek:
Ron C. also teaches how to do them in his course.

george wilson
11-08-2009, 3:28 PM
There is no mechanical reason to make that dovetail joint. Just for cuteness,I suppose. A normal one would be stronger,wouldn't it?

Salem Ganzhorn
11-08-2009, 5:03 PM
There is no mechanical reason to make that dovetail joint. Just for cuteness,I suppose. A normal one would be stronger,wouldn't it?

Is there a mechanical reason to make a dovetail at all? Box joints with modern glues are just as good right :)

By the way I am currently struggling with hand cutting dove tails :).

gary Zimmel
11-08-2009, 5:24 PM
I agree George, there is no mechanical reason to make that joint.
But you have to agree, they sure are purdy....

Most of the furniture I have built for our home have handcut dovetail drawers.
No one notices but it gives me a lot of satisfaction knowing they are there.

harry strasil
11-08-2009, 5:38 PM
At least the ones on the end are of a decent size. LOL

Zach England
11-08-2009, 6:32 PM
BTW I bought that plane...just want to brag.

jerry nazard
11-08-2009, 6:44 PM
BTW I bought that plane...just want to brag.

No. Do not brag. It is in poor taste.
Gloating, however, is always allowed.
I'd say you have a very nice gloat! :D

george wilson
11-08-2009, 6:50 PM
I don't mean that there is no reason for dovetails. Just not fancied up ones. Box joints will fail if the glue fails. Dovetails lock together in 1 direction,at least. I use dovetails myself,even in metal planes I make.

Dennis McGarry
11-08-2009, 7:27 PM
I don't mean that there is no reason for dovetails. Just not fancied up ones. Box joints will fail if the glue fails. Dovetails lock together in 1 direction,at least. I use dovetails myself,even in metal planes I make.

Reason? Form along with function is a +10

Keith Christopher
11-08-2009, 8:40 PM
I agree George, there is no mechanical reason to make that joint.
But you have to agree, they sure are purdy....

I say yes and no to this. This joint allows for additional glue surface area, because the strongest bonds will be along the long grain, but for drawers I would think it is more for looks than glue strength.

Mark Singer
11-12-2009, 8:41 AM
You can also make them half blind as attached. They are decorative and not that difficult. The mitered dovetails are quite a bit harder.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58299&d=1171898181

Brian Kincaid
11-12-2009, 9:08 AM
A little off topic from the OP, but it seems silly to me to use such tiny pins. I know there is perceived to be an 'aesthetic' quality to tiny pins. IMO this is purely because they can only be done by hand.

I guess to me I see tiny pins and I think they are only a marginal improvement over a butt-joint. Big through dovetails have no match for strength. I love using them on projects.

This is all my opinion based on my opinion.

I'm not a 'great' woodworker, and definitely would not call myself artistic. If I drop a board and snap off a pin then I think it was not really mechanically sound to begin with.

-Brian

Mark Singer
11-13-2009, 9:27 AM
The execution of joinery in woodworking is about strength , in part, but it is also really about the esthetics of joint design , execution , proportion and also tradition. The dovetail is a delicate looking joint and this is part of its interest and allure. It is light and strong. Pocket screws and todays adhesives can make drawers as strong, but does not express the quality or skill of the joinery. Large fasteners are clumsy yet strong.

Fine furniture is an expression of careful design and expression , all things in balance. Hounds tooth dovetails appear very delicate and because of their scale they are challenging . When mated with the opposing side the marriage creates a unity where the sum is greater and stronger than its individual parts.
They need each other....just as we do as woodworkers to help each other to understand. With this knowledge we are stronger. With this newly found strength we are ready to take on the next project....with finesse and skill.
Mill faced hammer is far away ... skill saw as well.

Larry Fox
11-13-2009, 9:57 AM
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58299&d=1171898181

Mark, that is a beautiful joint and drawer? Your work?

Philip Rodriquez
11-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Here is a great link for everyone. http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/Joints/Houndstooth-Dovetails.html

Mark Singer
11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Mark, that is a beautiful joint and drawer? Your work?

Yes , part of the sapeele bed I made . and Thanks!

http://wkfinetools.com/contrib/mSinger/art/sapeleBed/sapeleBed1.asp