PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal tool tip

Patrick Nailon
11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
A year ago I was wanting one of those remote start devices for my dust control system (which is my Rigid shop vac). Time and again, I'd have a cut all set up at the table saw, then forget to walk over to the vac and turn it on, thus creating a greater dust mess. Remote doohickeys were too expensive for just their purpose, then around November of last year the answer appeared in a local ad - remote control outdoor light switch! Some are well under $10, and some have THREE separate remote control devices all with the same control.

So here you are gals & guys - a simple, inexpensive solution to an age-old problem. Could also be used as a safety device for a table saw or other power equipment that you might need to shut down when unable to reach the switch.

Be sure to read the load capabilities carefully, but my remote has worked beautifully for over a year - bearing in mind I'm only turning a shop vac on and off with it.

:cool:

Carroll Courtney
11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Patrick,can you provide a pic or what the box that it comes in looks like?I have the same problem,run over turn it on(if I remember) run back.That sure would be a nice fix.Thanks Carroll

Patrick Nailon
11-08-2009, 3:16 PM
Patrick,can you provide a pic or what the box that it comes in looks like?I have the same problem,run over turn it on(if I remember) run back.That sure would be a nice fix.Thanks Carroll

There are many different types, just ask at your local box store, or Target, for a remote control for Christmas lights and they'll fix you up.

Bruce Wrenn
11-08-2009, 9:36 PM
Lowes item # 50736, on sale for $7.97. Wife went to get one today, but they couldn't be located, so she got next model up for same price.

glenn bradley
11-08-2009, 9:40 PM
Picked up 3 at Lowes last year right after Christmas when they blow this type of stuff out. One handles my shop made ambient air scrubber. I just hang the little key-fob sized remote from the light-switch pull-chain over my bench. Another controls one small vac and the third is still sitting around waiting for something to do. Very handy and quite inexpensive. Not designed to run your 15amp DC but, quite handy for smaller stuff. Mom and dad use one to turn a light on in his shop so dad knows when chow is ready ;-)

Wayne Hendrix
11-08-2009, 11:40 PM
If you use the remote to control a relay with a 120vac coil you can run much bigger dust collector equipment. The remote turns on the relay and the relay turns on the dust collector.

Lee Schierer
11-09-2009, 1:10 PM
Not much I can run with an 8 amp limit in my shop.