PDA

View Full Version : PM 209 knife setting question...

Wayne Wheeling
11-08-2009, 7:30 AM
Just got around to changing the knives on my Powermatic 209 20" planer. Purchased it about a year or so ago. The original knives were set well and the planer has done well all along. It came with an extra set of Powermatic 20" blades. The originals were getting dull, so I decided to change them
The planer came with a knife setting jig from Powermatic along with a set of Planer Pal Magnetic jigs. I decided to use the Planer Pals. To do so, you set them to the knives that are in the planer and put the new ones in at the same height. I noticed that this setting was higher than what they would be using the Powermatic jig. Which one is correct. Does it matter as long as they are all the same? If I lower the knives to match the Powermatic jig, will that throw off other settings?
Any suggestions or reccomendations appreciated....

Wayne Wheeling
11-09-2009, 7:27 AM
Well, I went back yesterday and reset the knives using the Powermatic jig that was sent with the jointer. As I mentioned, this setting was lower than what the knives were currently set. Seems to be fine... Some downward push on the board as it enters the planer (kinda cocks the board for a second), but no snipe. So., I'll run it like this for a while. Checked the bed rollers and they were at .003" above the table as suggested. Haven't tried to check any other settings. Went ahead and waxed the bed and extension tables again. Too many changes and I usually mess up everything.
Now waiting for 2 new sets of knives for my PJ882 8" Jointer. They dulled at the same time! And back to final milling of my workbench top....