PDA

View Full Version : A nice little tool to have... and it cheap...

Bill Huber
11-07-2009, 10:13 PM
I have had plastic ones and one I made with bolts glued to a board but they have all had their drawbacks.

I saw this one on Rocklers site while I was ordering so hings and other things so I add it to the cart. I just ordered the metric one at first but after I got that one I ordered the standard one also.

Really neat and they work for nuts, bolts and the best thing is treaded holes in something.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21999&filter=thread%20ditect

Photo from Rocklers site.

Bruce Page
11-08-2009, 3:32 PM
I haven't seen these before. Pretty slick
Thanks

Garth Keel
11-08-2009, 3:54 PM
and I agree it saves a lot of time and trouble. Well worth the cost.

harry strasil
11-08-2009, 5:41 PM
I would rather have the one on the end of the nut and bolt aisle at my Ace Hdwe. All on one narrow board. It reminds me of the one I made for my kids when they were little to master hand eye coordination with NC and NF bolts tack welded onto a scrap of sheet steel, one nut, flat washer and lock washer for each size up to 3/4 inch.

Bob Borzelleri
11-08-2009, 6:30 PM
Nice find. I just ordered one of each. Wonder if they have Whitworth?:rolleyes:

Dave Mura
11-08-2009, 7:21 PM
Cool stuff!

Bruce Wrenn
11-08-2009, 9:29 PM
I would rather have the one on the end of the nut and bolt aisle at my Ace Hdwe. All on one narrow board. It reminds me of the one I made for my kids when they were little to master hand eye coordination with NC and NF bolts tack welded onto a scrap of sheet steel, one nut, flat washer and lock washer for each size up to 3/4 inch.Harry, one day when in Lowes, Hillman guy was there servicing display. I asked about buying one of the thread size finders. He said "About $300 and some change, plus shipping." That is when I decided I really didn't need one.

Randal Stevenson
11-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I would rather have the one on the end of the nut and bolt aisle at my Ace Hdwe.

Mcmaster Carr item 20375A27 on page 2221, $44.10.

Don Bullock
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks Bill!!!

I never saw those on their website or catalog. In the past I've made a trip to Lowe's because they have the thread size finders set up in the hardware department that Bruce mentioned.:eek:

Wes Grass
11-09-2009, 12:12 AM
What, you can't just look at them and tell what thread they are? And tell metric from UN at a glance?

I guess being a machinist for 35 years has it's benefits ;-)

Vince Lok
11-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Hey, Rockler has those on sale PLUS free shipping this week (code V0707).... according to an email I just got.

Vince

Paul Ryan
11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
That looks like a really handy set expecially for the price. I have a $300 set of taps and dies that I use for the same thing.

Matt Winterowd
11-09-2009, 3:26 PM
Nice find, Bill! I just ordered a set!

Ryan Baker
11-09-2009, 7:52 PM
Wonder if they have Whitworth?:rolleyes:

Nice one! :) I wouldn't count on it though.

Rick Moyer
11-09-2009, 9:13 PM
Thanks Bill (and Vince). I've been using my tap and die sets, but these will be handier I believe. (or is it "more handy"?; whatever)

Phil Thien
11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I would rather have the one on the end of the nut and bolt aisle at my Ace Hdwe. All on one narrow board. It reminds me of the one I made for my kids when they were little to master hand eye coordination with NC and NF bolts tack welded onto a scrap of sheet steel, one nut, flat washer and lock washer for each size up to 3/4 inch.

The monolithic displays are nice if you have a screw or nut you're trying to match. But if you have a machine w/ a stud or threaded bolt hole and don't know the size or pitch, the individual pieces in the Rockler kit are a little more convenient.

Rick Moyer
11-14-2009, 5:42 PM
received mine yesterday, very nice! I was thinking maybe stretching them out along a board, to be able to easily see the one you may want to use first. Any thoughts on this, or how you are using these?

Scott Crumpton
11-14-2009, 6:53 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong. From the pictures, the balls appear to be molded onto the cable. It sure would be a lot more useful if they could be slid along the cable and possibly a longer cable substituted. I'm almost tempted to buy them. But...

What I usually do is find some screw or nut in the salvaged hardware pails that fits my problem. I then take it with me to the hardware store and match it with the exact length/style/whatever that I need. It's a rare day that I can't find something in those pails with the right threads. Sometimes I even find what I need.

Rick Moyer
11-15-2009, 7:50 AM
Scott, they do slide along the cable. I suppose you could put them all on a new length of cable if you chose.