PDA

View Full Version : David Rose's Tearout Problem

Carl Eyman
09-28-2004, 4:18 PM
I owe David thanks for his post of yesterday about tearout in stick/cope cutting. I am making a GF clock (seehttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10124). i was ready to start this AM cutting the rails and stiles for the door in the bonnet. That is, the dial door. If there is any place tearout cannot be tolerated, I imagine there is none more critical than that door. To make matters worse, the grain directions in that upper arched rail are accident prone. So I tried something. I laid out the blanks for all rails on the bench and lathered them with white glue. Then I clamped them together and laid on kraft wrapping paper. Now I had paper glued to both surfaces. When the glue was semi-dry (2 hours) I ran the cope cuts on the router table. There wasn't a hint of tearout, splitting, whatever. I peeled off what paper I could. I would have attacked with a damp rag for the rest if company hadn't intruded. Tomorrow i'll soak as necessary and eventually sand off the residue. Short of disappointing results in getting rid of the paper, I am delighted in the outcome.

Alan Turner
09-28-2004, 7:01 PM
Interesting idea, and glad there was no tearout. You might try a cabinet scraper, freshly sharpened, as this is what is customarily used on veneer tape.
Alan