PDA

View Full Version : Sammy blocks

FRITZ STOOP
11-07-2009, 9:01 PM
I may well be preaching to the choir, but has everyone heard of "Sammy Blocks"? Sam(my) Blasco of Minimax and wood nut extraordinaire, has devised these blocks of phenolic material which are machined with a lengthwise groove then clamped between the steel euro guides of your band saw to guide the smaller blades when cutting tight curves. They stabilize the blade, keeping things cool when the lateral pressure can heat things up and basically make using small blades on larger band saws a breeze.
I got some of the blocks after taking a seminar from Sam deep in the heart of (Smithville) Texas, but had not had an opportunity until recently when I had a little corbel end project that involved clear 6x material and some tight curves and fine details. Mistakes were going to be expensive and as I had not had good experiences with small (1/4") blades on my MM16 thus far (could not even keep them on the tyres for very long), so I gave the Sammy Blocks a shot.
I could not have been more surprised or pleased. Blade stayed put and the cuts ran smooth and accurate. Thanks, Sam!:)

Gary Herrmann
11-07-2009, 9:07 PM
Pics please!

Tom Veatch
11-07-2009, 9:28 PM
The description of the "Sammy Block" sounds like they function much like the "Stabilizer (http://www.carterproducts.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=14)" from Carter - except the Sammy is a fixed block and the Stabilizer is like a bearing with a circumferential groove machined in the outer race.

Wouldn't have a link to more info about the "Sammy Block" would you? Commercially available?

FRITZ STOOP
11-08-2009, 2:48 AM
I made a quick sketch(up) of the blocks. My saw is in my shop, 20 miles from here so a quick pic will have to wait until Monday.
Congodog