PDA

View Full Version : What kind of grinder/sharpener to get?

Stephen Saar
11-07-2009, 9:00 PM
So I need to purchase a grinder for sharpening tools. I already have an 8" bench grinder that runs at 3600 RPM, but that's just to fast to get good edges on tools I've noticed. At least I don't have the skill to get a decent edge on a tool, I almost always end up taking off too much material. So I'm looking at getting a slow speed grinder (something like this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18270&filter=grinder), but then I thought about it and I'm not sure if it makes more sense to just spend the extra money and get the Jet Wet grinder instead. It will cost a little more, but since I only want this grinder for sharpening the jet makes a little more sense. I will only really be sharpening turning tools, hand chisels, and plane blades, and I will end up honing the last 2 as the final step. So any advice from my fellow creekers?

Also I would really like to get the Tormek, but I can't really afford anything like that right now. Even the Jet would be pushing the budget a little.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Jeff Farris
11-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Stephen,

It may not be the grinder that needs to change as much as the way you're controlling the tool. You might want to consider the BGM-100 from Tormek, which allows you to use Tormek jigs with the grinder you already have. With it and a couple jigs, you'll have control over the presentation of the tool to the grinder. Then when the budget allows, you can get the Tormek that you want and get a superior surface finish while removing less material.

Doug Mason
11-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Grinding/sharpening is a skill--it can't be purchased. Learning any new skill can be frustrating--it was for me. You can spend $1,000's on sharpening equipment when all you need is a grinder/belt sander/stones/leather stroop. I'd keep what you have--or at most buy an 1800RPM grinder.

The ultimate goal in sharpening as a skill is to spend as little time doing it as possible; as such, this precludes the use of all these sharpening aids you see advertised.

Rick Fisher
11-08-2009, 3:28 AM
I have been learning to sharpen.. I finally purchased a Japanese waterstone from Lee Valley..

Seemed like a load of cash for a piece of rock..

Anyhow, its amazing.. All that effort learning to sharpen on a cheap stone and 1500 grit sandpaper paid off huge with this stone..

I can sharpen a bench chisel in about 2 minutes now.. (after soaking the stone) ..

Worth every penny.

John Buzzurro
11-08-2009, 7:39 AM
Woodcraft has a sale on their 8" slow-speed (1725 rpm) grinder ($89.99). I have it, and use it to sharpen my turning tools. Less expensive than the Delta on Rockler's site. Only thing you'd be giving up is the variable speed and the lamp.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004605/19002/8-Slow-Speed-Grinder.aspx

John RStegall
11-08-2009, 9:34 AM
Try this link:
http://inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/BeltSanderGrinderMkI.html

John

george wilson
11-08-2009, 9:41 AM
If you buy a slow speed wet stone Jet,keep this in mind: Many of them stop running. Mine did. I found out that the sheet metal push on wire connectors on the printed circuit board are liable to have cracked when shoved onto their respective posts. These connectors are as thin as a beer can,REALLY!!! I found the loose one,and soldered it back together. Then the grinder worked fine.

Dealers-2 of them,have told me that sometimes these grinders do not work right out of the box. My fix is easy and permanent IF you know this little tip. They ought to make a sticky out of this info!!!

Other than that,my Jet has been fine,though I haven't put it through much hard use yet,just out of happenstance.

Bill White
11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Don't overlook the Makita slow speed horizontal sharpener. I've had mine for years, and this puppy is a keeper. Sure, you can spend hundreds more, but you won't get that much more for the money.
Bill :D

Zach England
11-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Woodcraft has a tormek on sale for $300. Go to the site and look at the top banner. I've never used it and cannot comment.

I have never learned to sharpen properly so I have a worksharp. It's OK. I can get chisels and plane irons pretty dang sharp with the 8000 micromesh. It's kind of fiddly and the discs go fast. It's sort of a one trick pony, but decent for lazy folks like me.

Derrell W Sloan
11-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Grizzly has their slow speed grinders on sale. I don't know anything about them but its worth a look.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Wet-Grinder-Kit/T10010