PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Guilty

Larry Nall
11-07-2009, 3:14 PM
Today I've been building cabinets for the new shop and put together the face frames using pocket screws. The old saying 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't' comes to mind. Pocket screws may be the exception. They're ridiculously easy.

Bill Arnold
11-07-2009, 3:45 PM
I haven't taken the plunge into a purchase of a pocket hole jig yet, but LOML keeps asking me when I'm going to do so. When I worked in commercial shops for a couple of years, we used pocket hole joinery occasionally so I'm very familiar with it. Some people use them in ways I would never use them, but I see their value on things like face frames. Nice to hear you're having a good time! ;)

Oh, and no reason to feel guilty! Some of the stuff we do should be easy to keep us doing it!!! :D

Dave Lehnert
11-07-2009, 5:10 PM
I feel the same way. It seems almost impossible for them to hold so strong.

Chuck Isaacson
11-07-2009, 8:42 PM
That is how I did all of mine and I love it. It makes things really easy. As long as you have square ends then it will be square. Good stuff. For anyone that doesn't have the Kreg jig yet, get it. I have the K3 and would not get anything else. Definitely worth it.

Chuck

Rick Thom
11-07-2009, 8:58 PM
Since the advent of the Kreg jig a few years ago and DowelMax and Domino more recently, I hear a lot less about biscuit joiners although they may still have their place too..

Chris Hackett
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I started using pocket hole screws recently and am pleased with their holding power. But has anyone noticed the fine thread screws tend to strip out fairly easily even in some hardwoods? I will only use the coarse thread screws from now on.

Chris.

Nick Lazz
11-07-2009, 11:12 PM
I started using pocket hole screws recently and am pleased with their holding power. But has anyone noticed the fine thread screws tend to strip out fairly easily even in some hardwoods? I will only use the coarse thread screws from now on.

Chris.

Chris,
All of the screws will strip, so you have to be careful. I think the pan head is to blame more so than the thread... when it bottoms out in the hole the head can't countersink. I realize this is good, as the screw would go through the material you are screwing into but it can be a little frustrating.

Next time you strip one out, chisel off a small piece of scrap, and cram it in the hole with some glue. Trim it flush and you can start over!

In hardwood I have had problems with splitting occasionally too. But I have used both fine and coarse thread in hardwood and they both seem to work. I do prefer the coarse thread though too.

Nick Lazz
11-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Since the advent of the Kreg jig a few years ago and DowelMax and Domino more recently, I hear a lot less about biscuit joiners although they may still have their place too..

I haven't used my biscuit joiner since I got my Kreg jig...I use pocket holes all the time.
I am looking into getting a domino though, but man they are expensive.

Rick Fisher
11-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I just built a sofa table. I attached the aprons to the legs with a Domino, and used two pocket screws as reinforcement.. One above the domino, one below..

Its a freaky strong joint..

Kinda feel bad about not putting M&T joints in.. I wanted to try this.. Gotta admit.. I am impressed ..

I typically use the Kreg jig to hold table tops to aprons. Very effective..

Bill Arnold
11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
... I am looking into getting a domino though, but man they are expensive.
The Domino is a way to do loose tenon joinery. I've done it for years using my router table (or a hand-held router) and making my own tenon stock. A Domino would make the process easier, no doubt, but I'll save my money for other tools. :)

Larry Fox
11-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Nothing to feel guilty about. You are building shop cabinets. I use them all the time for face frames, carcas construction etc. I also use a Domino and the combination is insanely strong.