PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Wenge?

Jake Cox
11-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi all, first time poster, and something of a newbie to woodworking too. I jumped in when my wife found a platform bed she wanted for a couple thousand dollars (!) and I thought I could build the same for much less. Turns out I was right with regards to materials, but not with regards to all of the tools and accessories I've picked up along the way! :) Now, months and a garage-full of craigslist tools later, I have the platform frame built, and am planning on finishing some wenge boards to attach as the final "visible" portion of the bed. I've looked through the posts on the forum, but haven't really found a how-to for finishing wenge. I also have the Flexner book on finishing, but it doesn't really seem to address specific woods like wenge. Any tips? Do I need to fill the pores and, if so, what would work best? Also, what kind of finish would be easiest for an amateur to apply and still look good? I don't want to dye the wood or change its color as its natural beauty is what drew me to it in the first place. However, it has to be a strong enough finish to withstand scratches (we have a dog who will be jumping on it). Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Phil Phelps
11-07-2009, 5:39 PM
Jake, Steve Jenkins is member here and has had a lot of experience with wenge. He should chime in. If not, ring his bell. I think he has had good success with pre cat lacquer.

Roger Newby
11-07-2009, 7:39 PM
we have a dog who will be jumping on it). Thoughts?
Gonna make some people mad, but off the dog:eek: or get him some training.
Furniture is for peoples, ground is for animuls:D

Roger Savatteri
11-07-2009, 9:14 PM

If your going to have a dog constantly jumping on your bed frame and scratching it, I would use Tung Oil rather then any precatalized lacquer.
At least with the Tung Oil you could go back occasionally and touch it up. Be sure to use the good stuff and not any of the blends that are out there.

see.... http://www.thejapanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=20.740.00035&dept_id=12884

Scott Holmes
11-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Tung oil is indeed the most hyped of the oil finishes. However, pure oil finishes are not very good finishes. They provide almost no protection from water and water vapor; they do not provide a film finish to prevent things from getting into the wood. They do not cure HARD as the marketing folks claim, they dry somewhat rubbery.

Unlike BLO, Tung oil also needs to be renewed periodically or it can crystalize and then it needs to be stripped.

If you want an in-the-wood finish then an oil/varnish blend will out perform any oil finish.