PDA

View Full Version : which one

Wally Wenzel
11-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I plan to order a bowl gouge from Thompson, which one is the best all around the V or the U it will be a 1/2". I have sorby now that is used up, but I really liked it, had my version of a swept back grind. I bought a ben best and is ok but will not hold a edge, spent most of my time at the grinder. Thanks for the help, Wally

Steve Schlumpf
11-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Wally - the U or V are supposed to excel at different tasks - so it really depends on what you plan on using it for. I have the 5/8" V and the V helps prevent chips from clogging up the gouge when roughing. The U is supposed to excel at interior bowl cuts but I have never used one. I would buy the V again as I am very happy with it.

Reed Gray
11-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I have a couple of each. I think I prefer the V shape. Doug's V is more of a U to me, not nearly as steep as the Glaser V which I did not like. His U is more of a C shape to me. I end up using the V shape most of the time. The U does work a bit better on the inside of the bowl. When using it, I tend to have the flutes rolled more to the side, as much as 90 degrees, while the V is more in the 20 to 45 degree range. They do hold a working edge (as in roughing work) much longer than the HSS steel, but won't take quite as fine of an edge. The difference there is minimal though. I still prefer to use a freshly sharpened gouge for the finish cuts, no matter which gouge I am using.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I have the 1/2" U and V. I use the V most of the time but do use the U shaped one for final cuts on the inside. Does a excellent job.

Jeff Nicol
11-07-2009, 1:46 PM
I have the 5/8 U and the 1/2 v. I ground the U back to have more of a longated wing and I like it much better that way. I pretty much have to sharpen it by hand as I can't quite get the jig to do it the way it works best for me. I use the U for mostly roughing and shearing/scraping. The V is great and works well for everything. The steel is what makes them a great quality tool for the price!

Jeff

Dan Forman
11-07-2009, 4:31 PM
I use my 5/8" V a lot more than the 1/2" gouge. It's more stable farther off the tool rest, and works just as well for small bowls as for large. As for shape, I prefer the V for roughing, and I have a Sorby 5/8" U for the inside, bottom of the bowl, with the wings much less swept back and a pretty steep bevel on the nose. This does a much smoother job than the V on the bottom 2/3 of the bowl. Only reason for the Sorby over Thompson is that it was in the store and I didn't want to wait for shipping and making a handle.

Dan

Richard Madison
11-07-2009, 5:06 PM
The 1/2" V is definitely the most versatile and the one to get first. You can add others later.

Ken Glass
11-07-2009, 9:29 PM
Wally,
I agree with all that has been said. I seem to use my V-1/2" and 5/8" gouge more than the 1/2"u-gouge, even inside a bowl for roughing.