PDA

View Full Version : 1882 Miller Patent Plough Plane Kit

Derek Cohen
11-07-2009, 8:43 AM
I have finally got it together and completed the 1882 Miller Plough Plane Kit by Paul Hamler.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Paul%20Hamler%20Plough/Hamler1-1.jpg

The full details are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/1882MillerPatentPloughPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Keller NC
11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Very nice, Derek. Do you happen to know if these are still available? Like most part-time collectors, I'd love to have an original, but that would cost about $15,000 to $20,000, which is well above my available funds for tool collecting....

Eric Brown
11-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Looks great. Does it work as well as it looks?
Thank you for sharing.
Eric

Derek Cohen
11-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi David

No, the plane has not been available for a few years. You could have mine - I'll discount it to $10K :) I have not seen any for sale on eBay, nor heard of any being sold. I'm not interested in selling mine, but I have no idea about the price. Two years ago Paul was selling the finished plane (that the kit was based on) for $800. I would guess that the market value has appreciated, in the same way as the bronze LN Anniversary #4 I/2.

Eric, I'll tell you how well it works when I have tempered the blade. It feels very balanced and Ihave no doubt that it will work well. Incidentally, the blades for the Veritas Small Plow Plane are the same size. All I need to do to mine is use a Dremel to cut a groove down the back of the blades.

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Gendron
11-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Realy nice plane indeed! you did, to my eyes, a great work of finishing it!
Lucky you to have Rob Lee has a friend!!

David Keller NC
11-07-2009, 3:15 PM
Hi David

No, the plane has not been available for a few years. You could have mine - I'll discount it to $10K :) I have not seen any for sale on eBay, nor heard of any being sold. I'm not interested in selling mine, but I have no idea about the price. Two years ago Paul was selling the finished plane (that the kit was based on) for $800. I would guess that the market value has appreciated, in the same way as the bronze LN Anniversary #4 I/2.

They go for about $600 to at most $1000 (at a major auction like Brown). I suspect the reason is that the market is much shallower than it is for Lie-Nielsen products, and most collectors (inappropriately, in my opinion) won't even consider having a repro in their collection.

The original, btw, very infrequently shows up on e-bay. As you might imagine, that prompts a bidding frenzy. The last one that I saw with unbroken castings and in very nice shape settled at $18,000 at the end of the auction.