PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Fostner Bits???

John Terefenko
11-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Anyone out there use carbide fostner bits??? If so what brand have you found to be better quality??? How do they compare to HSS??? I am drilling alot of high density acrylic billiard balls and HSS bits are wearing out very fast. I was thinking of carbide. Any other suggestions?? Also tried the titanium coated ones and they are not fairing well either. Thanks for the replys.

Rick Fisher
11-06-2009, 11:06 PM
The 2010 Fine Woodworking tool guide did a review on Forstner bits.. The only carbide they included is the Freud.. The review says that they tested lots of bits.. the article included the best 8 bits.. Freud was the only Carbide to make the "cut".

From this, it could be assumed that they felt Freud was the best overall..

Guy Belleman
11-06-2009, 11:34 PM
at the Fine Woodworking test appears to be Woodtek.

The results are at: http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDFfree/99930380-forstner-bit-online-extra.pdf

Jim Eller
11-07-2009, 7:56 AM
I have a set of Freud's.

I don't think they cut as smooth as some of the HSS but if I really want to mash a bunch of holes.....

Jim

Rick Fisher
11-07-2009, 1:36 PM
Guy..

That is a totally not the same test.. lol..

I have the magazine..

Makes the entire test thing seem ... hmm..

Robert Chapman
11-07-2009, 4:41 PM
I have a set of Freuds that I have used in hardwoods for years. They stay sharp and cut cleanly. They are not cheap. The HSS bits that I have used in hardwood seem to quickly dull.

Ed Hazel
11-07-2009, 5:56 PM
I use the Freud 1/2 fostner bit they last much much longer and they cut a nice clean hole just like a HSS bit. I have not used any other I am very please with the Frued bits.

Scot Ferraro
11-07-2009, 7:55 PM
Woodcraft carries them and I used one to drill 32 mm holes for my Kitchen remodel -- worked great and the center spur is a little shorter than other Forstners I have tried (which was a bonus for me since my doors were a tad thin at the edge profile). I forget what the brand was, but the cut was very smooth and it worked great.

Scot