PDA

View Full Version : Bit - snap..

Rick Fisher
11-06-2009, 10:25 PM
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1140958.jpg

Never did find the other half.. No sound.. nothing.. Luckily no blood.. Just a sudden decrease in resistance..

Weird..

glenn bradley
11-06-2009, 11:05 PM
I had a smaller than average Whiteside keyhole bit snap. The business end stayed in the wood as I was routing . . . well . . a keyhole slot. I often use delicate bits and use a soft touch when I do so I emailed Whiteside and offered to send it to them if they would like to check it out for a flaw.

They replied that they would like to see the bit and they would send me a free replacement for my time and trouble. Time and trouble? I wrapped it in a paper towel and stuffed it in an envelope(?). Replacement bit showed up about a week later.

Russ Buddle
11-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I have broken a few over the years both in a handheld router, and on the CNC.

Michael Schwartz
11-07-2009, 12:14 AM
broken a few here and there. Usually not so bad provided the work contains the bit but of course the prospect is pretty scary and the potential is there.

Listen very closely to a bit, as you start to apply too much force you can hear the bit chattering. The pitch and sound should be pretty consistent from when you just start cutting.

Of course dull bits belong in the trash.

If a bit looks damaged, burnt, or otherwise abused don't trust it.

Also often overlooked check your collets from time to time. I have had a collet come apart once, and I ignored the fact that bits were slipping for some time, as well as other warning signs.

Larry Edgerton
11-07-2009, 6:13 AM
I had a 2" CMT flush trim bit snap right out of the box as soon as it hit the wood. Turns out the bearing was mounted off center quite a bit and as soon as it hit the Jatoba I was trimming it let go. No damage to me but the piece I was working on was ruined.

I check the bearing to cutter relationship to this day...........

Steve Clardy
11-07-2009, 4:35 PM
I used to beak a lot of 1/4 straight bits.
Didn't matter what brand, they broke.

After running so many drawers sides, the bit dulls, pushing pressure increases, then the bit eventually snaps.

Now when I feel like I'm having to shove the wood to hard, I change the bit.

I really hate the sound of a broken bit falling into the router, then the grinding noise......

Keith Christopher
11-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Been there done that when making a flush trim with a 2" bit (1/2" shank) through some mahogany (was trimming a 'channel through the mahogany so it was hidden between two pieces) when all of the sudden, the bit simply dropped to the floor...well most of the bit.

george wilson
11-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I had the whole chuck of a router come off when I was in high school shop. It dug up and ruined my work,but at least didn't fly out and rout me!

Rick Fisher
11-08-2009, 3:24 AM
I have to admit.. Breaking a bit was less exciting that having the bearing come off..

I (now) check the nut on every bearing bit.. Had a new Freud lose its bearing within the first 5 seconds of use.. It seemed to bounce off everything in the shop .. except me..

Picked up a bit last night.. ( cheap one) which had a stripped nut holding the bearing on.. I could simply pull it off with my fingers..

That could have been exciting too..