PDA

View Full Version : What to buy - New to CNC

Howard Boehm
11-06-2009, 9:36 PM
I want to get a cnc machine to carve items on doors and cabinets. I am an advanced woodworker but only for a hobby. What is a good machine to start out with?

I feel this would enhance what I am now building. If you point me in some direction for a newbie.

Thanks

Michael Schwartz
11-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I would take a look at ShopBot, I just ordered a PRSstandard and expect it to arrive early december. Shopbot is known to make a proven product, with top notch support, and there machines are very affordable.

A number of people on the forum own, or have recently purchased machines from Camaster and like them. I will probably consider them again at some point if I end up in the market for a second machine. Other than a SB PrsAlpha with Tool Changer I will probably end up taking a good look at the Cobra X3 with 3 heads.

Other than that I really don't have anything to add. But my advice is don't just look at price and features. Unless you are a CNC Guru product support is obviously very important. What may appear to be a good deal, especially from overseas or an importer might turn out to be a mess if something goes wrong.

Guy Mathews
11-07-2009, 6:59 AM
I would take a look at ShopBot, I just ordered a PRSstandard and expect it to arrive early december. Shopbot is known to make a proven product, with top notch support, and there machines are very affordable.

A number of people on the forum own, or have recently purchased machines from Camaster and like them. I will probably consider them again at some point if I end up in the market for a second machine. Other than a SB PrsAlpha with Tool Changer I will probably end up taking a good look at the Cobra X3 with 3 heads.

Other than that I really don't have anything to add. But my advice is don't just look at price and features. Unless you are a CNC Guru product support is obviously very important. What may appear to be a good deal, especially from overseas or an importer might turn out to be a mess if something goes wrong.

From a guru's point of view, I have nothing to add. Mike covered it all. I have both a CAMaster ans A ShopBot both of which have served me well and will continue to do so for years to come.

james mcgrew
11-07-2009, 7:05 AM
i am impressed with the work on your page, i share similar interest, i have the camaster x3 machines, heavy industrial construction, accurate machining with online direct support and owners group, and just a doggone bunch of good fellows behind the machine. this is some of our work and has pieces we purchased prior to the machines, now we carve it all

jim mcgrew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYiUTpm_LE

Keith Outten
11-07-2009, 8:04 AM
Howard,

The majority of the discussion here centers around two manufacturers of CNC Routers. ShopBot being the most familiar name, they have been in business for a long time and have a huge following. I suggest that you visit their web site and look at the different models they offer to get an idea of the price range and feature list that you think will satisfy your needs and wants.

The second manufacturer you are now hearing a lot about these days is CAMaster. They have a solid machine that has some nice features and are price competitive, particularly if you consider the quality of their new machines. The CAMaster Cobra X3 machine is a hot setup with a spindle and two routers mounted, I don't know anyone who wouldn't be happy with this machine as a second purchase, if you could buy it right out of the gate you would be bucks ahead IMO. Since tool changers will almost double the price of a machine the X3 option on a CAMaster is the next best thing for some, in my opinion it would be a better option for me than a tool changer.

I own a ShopBot PRT Alpha (PC Router) I purchased when they first came out. It has been a flawless machine and still runs as good today as the day I installed it in my shop. I also operate a ShopBot PRT Alpha (Spindle Model) in the sign shop at Christopher Newport University. The two machines are almost identical except for the Router vs Spindle options. The only real complaint I have is I am tired of leaning over the stupid rails to load material, I load from the ends as much as possible but space makes it impossible to load the CNU machine from anywhere but the right end of the machine opposite the origin. Almost all setup and router bit changes have to be done from the zero origin area end of the table on a ShopBot. Unless you are very tall the rails prevent you from being able to do anything from the long sides. There is a long standing joke that you can always recognize a ShopBotter by the grease stains on their shirts just above the belt line, it's True. :) The gear rack runs along the long rails of the machine right above my belt...I have plenty of grease stained shirts to prove it :)

I am looking at the Cobra X3 machine myself these days. I am experiencing terrible machine envy problems lately when I see the new guys buying this machine :(

james mcgrew
11-07-2009, 8:58 AM
i do not go here often but that being said, i love the shopbot it was my first exposure to mid to small level cnc and i even have a carveright machine as well the shopbot machine its history and community are certainly top in the game!! some years ago my father needed a gear made for a projector (antique) and i found my way to a machinist who had if i remember correctly three shopbots, i was amazed at what he did for my dad.

i went to the shopbot facility in late october 07, first big problem the salesman had the flu and was at work (his excitement level was a bit low that day) i did meet others who i still have great relationships with today,

second the leaning into the table was a big no no to me as a cabinetmaker, while this is accepted by the shopbotters i came from the architectural woodworking industry and had seen many a big iron machine and its capability's, the issue of the table depth can be worked around with the taller "Z" and a build up of the working table though.

third they were developing the tool changer (a must have for me) and were not really enthused about it yet and it is still in infancy with them. also the tool changer is limited to the end of the machine basically closing in three sides.

fourth the bolt together table, i was not quite sure where i would go but i wanted more beef (inertia and vibration)

all in all to me there are no other major differences to me, i love my machine will a shopbot do the same? yes but i am sure i made the best decision for my business