PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins

Kenneth Whiting
11-06-2009, 8:20 PM
Well I got started today. I managed to play with 4 pieces of wood.

I started with a 2x3, just trying to figure out what each tool can do. Then when it got a little flimsy I cut a 1x1x20 piece off of a ceder scrap I have. It got too thin and started to bow as well. I guess I was tightening the tail stock too much.

I wanted some thing that could hold up a little better so I grabbed a pressure treated 4x4. It was too long so I cut a small piece off the end and had a little fun with the parting tool, then the 1/4" gouge. I was having problems with catches that would stop the wood dead. I figured I should start figuring out a decent sharpening method with my disk sander since I haven't bought a grinder yet. That is when I realized how dull they were to begin with. Wow, what a difference. The parting tool was still giving me bad catches. It wasn't the tool, I over compensated for tightening it too much by not tightening it enough.

Then I put the longer piece in and started a bonker. If thats what one of these pieces is going to be called, I might as well try to do it right. It was going "well." I had it mostly round and straightish. I was even putting a pummel on it that I thought was going to look kinda neat. I was using the scraper to smooth out the transition from the thicker part to the handle and thats when IT happened!!! When I got the lathe turned off and picked up the pieces I saw what IT was. I put the point of the scraper into the wood and a knot in the handle gave out, shooting the whole thing up at me in two pieces.

All together it was a great time and I learned a LOT. This is sooooo cool. If you made it this far, thanks. I would have given up on this rambling fool a while ago. Here is the part you have been waiting for, the pics. It was getting dark so these aren't the greatest, I'll try to take some better ones tomorrow, if someone can pull me away from the lathe:D

John Keeton
11-06-2009, 9:08 PM
Hey Bo, it is kinda' addicting, isn't it?!?! Looks like you are having a ball at this stuff! When I went from pine to hardwood (walnut) the enjoyment factor really went up. There is a treasure of fun in the firewood stack.

As I mentioned before, the bowls and HFs don't draw my interest much, but I have been looking at some other spindle type turnings that make me want to do some more - maybe Christmas ornaments?? Gotta get this table project done first, before I can get back to the lathe.

Great shapes going on there!!

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2009, 9:16 PM
Kenneth - glad you are having fun! My only suggestion at this point - other than to keep turning - is to use some wood other than pressure treated. When you are turning you are most likely breathing in some of that dust - probably not the best thing to be doing!

Have fun!

Steve Mawson
11-06-2009, 9:37 PM
Looks like you are having fun. Agree with Steve the treated lumber. Lots of stuff in there that is not good to breath. Know you are having fun and it is addictive. Some times when I walk past the lathe I just have to turn something. Need 12 knobs for cabinet doors now.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-06-2009, 9:58 PM
Congrats Bo! You have found the true meaning of the Vortex! A few more lessons like this and you'll discover finishing on the lathe and then LOOK OUT! When you get the basics down and find you can start a project and be completed 20 minutes to 2 hours later....finished........done....you will really get excited! Flatwork will never look the same again!

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Congrats Bo looks like you have been having fun. Keep up the practice but would find some different wood to use.

Tom Giacomo
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Fun is what's it all about, glad your having some. Welcome to the vortex.

Kenneth Whiting
11-07-2009, 2:02 AM
Thanks guys for the encouragement and pressure treated wood advice. Towards the end I was wondering what the effects might be. I know better than to throw it in the fire pit, but I didn't snap in time to keep it off the lathe.

alex carey
11-07-2009, 3:42 AM
The vortex certainly is strong and it sounds like your in it for good. Welcome.

Denis Puland
11-07-2009, 6:56 AM
Hi
I can still remember being real proud that first pile of shavings, a real thrill.

I see from your pictures that have your tool rest mounted on the banjo extension. Most lathes allow you to mount your tool rest directly on the banjo. It gives you a much more stable rest with less vibration.

Keep on a turning and have lots of fun.

Denis

Tim Browne
11-07-2009, 8:46 AM
The vortex is both fun and rewarding. I'm a noob too so I understand the enthusiasm. I have a question brought on by your photo's. I noticed the light level is low in the pictures. Is the lathe area well lit? Good lighting not only improves safety, it makes turning easier for those of us with less experience. I had good shop lights providing general illumination but decided to add a light to shine directly on the wood as I turned it. What a difference! Plus, as I mentioned earlier, it improves saftey and that's #1.

Kenneth Whiting
11-07-2009, 11:02 AM
It's very well lit during the day;) I stopped turning about dusk. By the time I got things straightened up and got the camera back out it was getting darker.

Ralph Lindberg
11-07-2009, 12:49 PM
You are not the only one that can find quotes that apply to the vortex

Off to read a few more:D