PDA

View Full Version : Protective grease coating overload

Jeffrey Makiel
11-06-2009, 8:02 PM
I just received a tablesaw tenoning jig from Woodcraft. Goodness gracious, was it coated with a thick axle grease as well as a thin coat of oil. It also wreaked of a gasoline-like odor. It definitely was not cosmolene.

I had to disassemble the entire jig, scoop the grease off of each part, then double wash each part with fantastic and a parts cleaning brush.

In order to put it back together, I had to use the exploded view in the instruction manual. No where was there mention in the manual of having to do all this.

It took about 2 hours to clean, reassemble and adjust. If I knew this, I probably would have not ordered it.

-Jeff:)

Michael Heffernan
11-06-2009, 8:33 PM
Man that sucks. Doesn't sound right to me. I'd call Woodworker's and let them know the issue. Cosmolene is enough of a PITA. But you shouldn't have to disassemble a saw jig to get it ready for use.

John McClanahan
11-06-2009, 8:39 PM
Hmmmm, They have them on sale, plus free shipping. I almost ordered one.

John

glenn bradley
11-06-2009, 8:40 PM
The jig I got from Rockler years ago came with only a light oil on the unpainted surfaces. Your experience really sounds like overkill.

Jeffrey Makiel
11-06-2009, 8:56 PM
To be fair, it does seem to be a quality product upon being cleaned up. It was only $60 including shipping. On the positive side, there was no rust. :)

-Jeff :)

Mike Cruz
11-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Maybe all the grease was SUPPOSED to be there! :eek: ;)

Howard Acheson
11-07-2009, 3:01 PM
Items made in Asia are frequently heavily coated with cosmolene. The long sea shipping in containers leads to lots of rust. So, the heavy coating of a protecturant.

That said, if it was cosmoline the quickest and easiest way to clean it up is with kerosene. Kerosene quickly cuts the gunk and leaves a slightly oily residue that helps long term protection of the non-painted surfaces.

Bill Arnold
11-07-2009, 3:51 PM
I bought a tenoning jig from Grizzly last year. It was the same story with it - very heavy with cosmoline. I used naphtha to wash it down and it cleaned up without disassembling it. As Howard said, it's kinda normal with items that spend time in ocean-going shipping.