PDA

View Full Version : sharpening

Don Meyer
11-06-2009, 7:34 PM
I bought a sorby bedan and am wondering what the technique is for sharpening it? Is this a cutting tool or is it a glorified small scraper?Any help will be appreciated.

Lance kanaby
11-06-2009, 8:03 PM
Actually a Bedan is a modified skew. Do not sharpen this tool at the grinder, use only a diamond hone or you will ruin this tool. There are a few youtube videos that can be seen on its use and sharpenning.

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2009, 8:16 PM
It is a modified skew. I guess mine must be ruined because I do sharpen with a grinder using a fine wheel. I now sharpen and hone on the tormek. Great tool and have been using it for over 3 yrs now. You Tube has some great video's on using it.

Ryan Baker
11-06-2009, 8:44 PM
Mine must be ruined too, because I also sharpen mine on the grinder (as I sometimes do with skews too), and it cuts great. It is a cutting tool, not a scraping tool (though it can be used like a scraper, just as a skew can).

Ken Whitney
11-07-2009, 7:36 AM
It looks more like half a parting tool to me, although it does some skew-like cuts.

It does a nice peeling cut, and you can use the edge/corners to smooth, roll beads, etc.

Mine is ruined as well, since I sharpen on the grinder. I do hone the top and sides, though.

Ron Bontz
11-08-2009, 11:22 AM
OK. I searched you tube last night and found a couple of videos demonstrating the French Bedan but nothing specifically addressing the Sorby Bedan. The Sorby has a tapered shank. The French does not appear to. The French Bedan makes sense to me but now I am confused about the Sorby. More research needed.:confused:

Ron McKinley
11-08-2009, 5:36 PM
The Sorby bedan has a shaft and face similar to a keystone but Escoulen's is rectangular.
J. F. Escoulen sharpens the bevel on a grinder—freehand, without a tool rest. My Sorby instructions said sharpen only the top face with a stone and when using rub the bevel. Escoulen uses it "upside down" without rubbing the bevel but like a skew, cutting high on the wood. I watched him do amazing things with the bedan in ABQ last summer. So, I bought one from him but so far, mine does not do amazing things. And I thought I was just one tool away from being a Master Turner! .....Ron

Kyle Iwamoto
11-08-2009, 11:47 PM
I watched him do amazing things with the bedan in ABQ last summer. So, I bought one from him but so far, mine does not do amazing things. And I thought I was just one tool away from being a Master Turner! .....Ron

Isn't it amazing on how easy and smoothly they make the tools work? After watching the demo on the Sorby Spindle Master, I got one. I can't get it to do anyting either..... It occupies space in my drawer. Every once in awhile, I watch the video, and try again. I'm far from being even an apprentice turner.