PDA

View Full Version : Frames and stuff...

Bob Savage
11-06-2009, 4:37 PM
So I thought I'd play with one of the free 3D vector graphics I downloaded from what I believe is the Vectric site, and have a question.

Should the flowers/leaves follow the contour of the frame? I like how it looks, but am just curious if there's a "standard" way of doing these.

By the way, two rail sweeps are cool!

Also, I do realize that this frame requires some tweaks to look correct (the inside indent is too deep, etc.), and that I'd have create a file to pocket the back in order to lay the picture. This was really just a practice in how to get 2 rail sweeps to work with a rectangle so that the corners weren't tweaked, and to play with a 3D vector. I also went bonkers on the profiling toolpaths... need to fix those too.

Chip Peterson
11-09-2009, 9:11 AM
Bob,

I was at the Pittsburgh User group meeting this past weekend. There was a tutorial about applying a 3D ivy onto a piece of molding very similar to your flower/frame. In that tutorial, James B. describes how to design without the contours of the frame showing through your flowers.

I know this doesn't provide any immediate help, but get the CD from Vectric that supports the meeting. It is explained in there.

Nice work!

james mcgrew
11-09-2009, 9:51 AM
bob you are using the sample files, in the release disk there are corners and a bunch more files, do not buy any till you get your disk, even though james is good about honoring duplication. you can see files here and email me and i will send you some that are not copyrighted. and i will send pdf of what is on disk

www.vectorart3d.com (http://www.vectorart3d.com)

jim

Bob Savage
11-09-2009, 5:24 PM
Thanks for the tip, Chip.

bob you are using the sample files, in the release disk there are corners and a bunch more files, do not buy any till you get your disk, even though james is good about honoring duplication. you can see files here and email me and i will send you some that are not copyrighted. and i will send pdf of what is on disk

www.vectorart3d.com (http://www.vectorart3d.com)

jim

Hi Jim!

I should be receiving the Aspire disc sometime soon (Joey ordered it), so I'll take a looksee once it arrives. If you've got any cool free/uncopyrighted stuff, I'd be glad to take 'em! I'll shoot you an e-mail.