PDA

View Full Version : Laser cut acrylic jigsaw puzzels

Debbie Coller
11-06-2009, 4:07 PM
Have been laser cutting .125 acrylic into puzzel pieces. Have had good luck with that. Any good ways to get the photo attached to the acrylic and a good backing? Have tried a spray glue and then clear vinyl over the back. It there anything better?

Gary Hair
11-06-2009, 4:35 PM
Debbie,
A better solution would be to print directly on the acrylic with a UV printer. If you don't have that capability then the next best would be to print on photo paper and adhere it to the acrylic with optically clear adhesive. I have done some of that and it's not easy getting the photo stuck on without bubbles - direct printing would solve that.

Gary

Dan Hintz
11-06-2009, 4:46 PM
What Gary said...

Debbie Coller
11-06-2009, 5:47 PM
Thanks! Will try the photo paper. The spray fabric glue seems to work OK.
Don't know how it will hold up.

Dan Hintz
11-06-2009, 6:59 PM
Fabric glue was not designed for this type of application... if you're going to use a spray-on, get the correct type.

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2009, 7:30 PM
I'm making some this weekend, actually, 12"x18" for about $80 each. Great easy and profitable item if you can find the customers. I use large format inkjet prints (2 year outdoor ink) and it's printed onto a poly based adhesive backed 2 mil film, like sign vinyl without the PVC. I stick it on, with transfer tape, then cut through it all and it's nice and clean. be careful that your pieces have no sharp points to them or they can be dangerous. I try to stick to rounded shapes.

Larry Bratton
11-07-2009, 3:16 PM
You could apply polypropylene that has been printed with a wide format printer and has an adhesive back and then cut the puzzle out. The poly can be purchased from Lexjet. (lexjet.com)You will have to get someone to print it for you unless you have the capability.