PDA

View Full Version : Got the BUG, now i need your advice...

Tom Avery
11-06-2009, 3:21 PM
Greetings! fellow creek people. New guy in town, and i gotta say, this looks like a really cool forum. I'm looking for some experienced input here, "the voice of reason", if you will, but first some quick background... Bought my wife a Kindle for her birthday, and decided to have it personalized (HUGE bonus points for that, by the way!!). Finally found a little local shop to help me out, only one in the area. I believe she had an Epilog Fibermark, and have been completely captivated ever since. I've got to have one of these !! I'm thinking more along the lines of CO2 because the versatility has my head spinning with ideas. So, i'm researching, and i'm getting more and more crazy about these machines. I'm thinking about opening my own business. Here's one of my many dilemas: I don't want to start with a small entry level machine. I want one of the big boys, you know, the fancy Epiloge Legend Elite, or the pass through Trotec, something Tim "the tool man" Taylor would be proud of. But i'm brand new to the industry. My only experience with a laser is the little light i use to tease my cat with. Don't get me wrong, i'm an engineering technician by trade. So I'm hands on, and into all things technical, but no experience with this trade. What do you think? Am i insane, with all the sparkles and wonder in my eyes? Or should i listen to my mother, and start small and walk to school uphill both ways, and all that stuff? BTW, i'm not a Rockafeller, or a Gates, but i am realistic about the fact that it takes money to earn money. What are some ways to determine if my area justifies "going big"?

Dan Hintz
11-06-2009, 4:45 PM
There's plenty of "start up" info here if you search back over the last few months (or years), so for now I'll leave you with "Hope you brought your checkbook". The machines you're talking about are not cheap, and with a decent power cartridge you're looking north of $40k.

David Takes
11-06-2009, 4:47 PM
As you work through the important process of creating your business plan this question should be answered for your market. There is not much that can be said here that can give you the proper guidance for your market and product mix. We can give some guidance once we have more details with the direction you want to go and specifics about your market area.

Scott Shepherd
11-06-2009, 7:25 PM
Welcome Tom! Many options out there. There are many smaller machines that are used and hitting the market. Seems like about 1 every week or so goes on the forum for sale here. You might dip your toe in first to see how the water is, and build up a relationship with someone nearby with a bigger machine that you can sub work to.

Universal has a deal right now if you buy a 75 watt machine, you get a free upgrade to 150 watts. Tim the tool man would be proud :) They also have the buy a 25, get a 50 watt too, but who wouldn't want 150W? :)

Lots of deals to be had right now. There's also a decent size show coming up in Atlantic City first part of December. All the big brands will be there and I'm sure their "show special" pricing will be in effect, which should carry over after the show a little. So shop around, I'm sure you can find something that makes you happy.

You also are not allowed to buy a large Trotec as a first laser. There are many of us that should have that before you :D

Ian Wilson (AUST)
11-06-2009, 7:38 PM
Hi Tom,

I knew nothing about engraving or designing, I bought an Epilog 35 watt + Corel x4 and 9 months down the track I am starting to get $$ coming in, repeat clientele & haven't really started to advertise yet. I have loved the journey so far, this forum is awesome, especially the Search Tool. If you can't find it by Search, then ask the question and you will find a wealth of knowledge of very generous people here.

I support myself with another job which is slowly getting faded out as the engraver takes over.

Good luck mate.

Ian

Tom Avery
11-06-2009, 8:25 PM
... So much research to do, Dan, but i will go back and search for more start up info. As far as the checkbook is concerned, all i can say is thank goodness for good ole american credit. I realize i'm not the first new guy to pose these questions. I apologize for wasting this digital space on things that have been answered again, and again. I need to spend more time on the site to learn all the valuable resources provided here.

You're right David, failure to plan, is a plan for failure. A bullet proof business plan will ensure my inevitable windfall. There's much work to be done.

Thank you, first responders. I'm sure to have more questions as things develop.