PDA

View Full Version : just curious. how many of us have oursig-others in the shop

larry merlau
09-28-2004, 12:55 PM
was reading an old post on here about women and hammers, and thought i would like to find out, just how many of us have our wives or signifacant others help us in the shop. i am sure that carol isnt the only lady who does woodworking and it must be easier to get new tools if they are using them as well. just think of the possibilties :D need 2 sanders or another plane the list goes on and on. let alone someone to help with the tough jobs and keep us in line with the project at hand. so speak up those of you who are proud of your ladies, and you ladies stand up for your rights and declare your right to vote :D thanks for the response and this was a message approved by me and my (mrs norm) :D

Doug Jones
09-28-2004, 1:05 PM
I'm very proud of my wife, but she will not go into the shop other than peaking her head in through the door to hollar "It's time to eat". She says the shop is too dusty. Go figure, a dusty shop.

Tyler Howell
09-28-2004, 1:09 PM
Hey Larry,

No Mrs. walking around but I have a buddy I've been trying to get tooled up. I'd prefer she work in her house and I in mine. There just isn't enough room and I like my space.
I'm not good enough to do, teach, and foreman a project all at once.:o

Donnie Raines
09-28-2004, 1:37 PM
My wife sits there and looks at me....thats about the extent of it. Sometimes she will point things out....like..."whats that big chunk missing?"...."should that gap be there?''...."how come when you make stuff for______it turns out better then when you make something for our house?''.........

She snaps the whip boys...she snaps that whip!!!!! :rolleyes:

keith zimmerman
09-28-2004, 1:38 PM
Back when I had a shop and a wife :) , she never entered my shop while I was working unless she had an important question. She always called me on the intercom. If I wasn't working, she only came in to discuss the next project for me. She always said she hated the noise and dust. Go figure.

Maybe that's part of the reason why I don't have that shop and she's not my wife anymore. :D

keithz

p.s. I really like my tiny 13 sq ft "shop"

Dennis Peacock
09-28-2004, 1:44 PM
I'm proud to say that my wife loves to help me in the shop and helps on MANY projects and even offers advice once in a while with something like: I was reading something about that in one of your ww'ing magazines, so why not try it THAT way? or something like....Gee, they didn't do it that way in the article I read in your new book! Now I know where my books get off to. Good thing she hasn't tapped into my ww'ing DVD's or vidoe's!!! :rolleyes: :D

My wife and I are great shop buddies and without her help.....I wouldn't be where I am today in my ww'ing skills! :)

Donnie Raines
09-28-2004, 1:53 PM
Dennis...Dennis...Dennis.......your wife must visit this site..and your just kissing up!!! :p :p

Sounds like a great lady!!!

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-28-2004, 1:58 PM
My wife helps me and keeps me on track with projects. for some reason she likes the router table and wants to reoute stuff. then gets testy when i hover beside her to make sure she has all 10 finders when she is done. But she support my habit and lets me buy tools if I can justify them. I think I will keep her. My daughter is the self appointed shop sweeper.

Roger

larry merlau
09-28-2004, 1:58 PM
My wife and I are great shop buddies and without her help.....I wouldn't be where I am today in my ww'ing skills! :)[/QUOTE]

two gold stars for the peacocks :D i to have some intervention from mine and do have a door bell hoked up for the dinner bell, just seem to miss the old cow bell that usually works when things are quiet. mine watches the ww shows with me sometime and even get her hands dirty too. and i do understand some of these guys not wanting distractions but the ladies can be taught to wait till a safe time to ask questions or voice opinons. atta boy dennis.

Michael Stafford
09-28-2004, 3:51 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again, my wife finds some of the most beautiful wood that I have ever used and have in my possession. However I have tried to interest her in scrolling, pen turning, framing, all to no avail. On a very rare occasion she will come out to the shop to assist at my request but otherwise, it is my private retreat. She does help me construct linings and ringbars for jewelry boxes. Also if I am building something that does not have a specific giftee or purchaser in mind she always has first dibs. Since my son moved away she uses his walk-in closet for her personal collection of my work. Right now she has more than 60 boxes, bowls and etc. that she rotates through the various display areas of our home. All of that said, her love of my work ( for Heaven's sake she lets me bring it in the house) is one of the reasons that I love woodworking. If she likes it I am happy!

Doug Jones
09-28-2004, 3:59 PM
do have a door bell hoked up for the dinner bell,
Now there is a thought, may have to incorperate that into my place.

Dick Parr
09-28-2004, 4:16 PM
I guess I'm lucky like Dennis. :D My wife helps when ever I need it, which is getting to be more and more. When I was complaining about not having enough room in the shop, she took me by the hand out to the shop and said sit :eek:. We both then looked around to see how it could be arranged differently. The next day she helped me start moving everything around until now I have more room then I know what to do with (well almost :p ). MOst of it was her idea. She is always there when I need an extra hand. She lets me buy the tools I need and only complains a little. ;) Yup, I guess I'm a lucky guy. :D :D

Jack Hogoboom
09-28-2004, 5:18 PM
My first wife might have been interested, but she packed it in before I stopped watching Norm and bought my first tool. My second wife only comes into the shop to complain about how messy it is and how it needs to be cleaned up. In fact, she says that about any part of the house that I inhabit. That's why I spend as much time in the shop as I possibly can. :)

Jack

Kent Cori
09-28-2004, 5:30 PM
I think my wife sees her role as senior management and artistic consultant. She picks many of the projects and the style or plan to apply as well as the materials of construction. I am lower-middle management and shop floor labor. I am responsible to make sure it looks like what she expects, is of acceptable quality to her, is produced in the allotted time frame, meets the budget and doesn't require more than one new tool. I am also the grunt laborer responsible for providing the blood, sweat and tears to get the job done. Senior management only stops by the shop occasionally to smile benignly and shake her head slightly, let the grunt know he is or isn't meeting current expectations and remark about the mess being made. :o :rolleyes: :p

Bill Grumbine
09-28-2004, 5:37 PM
Well my wife spends lots of time out in the shop. Sometimes she is helping me out, sometimes she is watching what is going on, and sometimes she is just keeping me company. One of the most valuable things she does is gasp! apply finish! :eek: Whe I am real busy getting ready for a show, or similar deadline, she is more than happy to take things out of the shop and varnish, paint, or whatever.

There are times though, when a man needs to be alone, and she recognizes that as well. Between her and the three daughters, the hormones can be flying thick and fast, and the house is no place for me to be. It is then that I announce in a firm voice that I am going to the shop, and will be back later.

Bill

Jim DeLaney
09-28-2004, 5:52 PM
I married a cabinetmaker's daughter... She's fully capable in the shop, and has helped out on many a project over tha past 38 years.

She does have her own hobbies, though, and prefers to spend her time on them, rather than in my shop. She's there to help whenever I ask her, though!

Actually, when it comes to the really small stuff, she's a lot better at it than I am - probably due to the fact that she builds prototypes in the engineering department at an electronincs manufacturing company. Four or five hours a day assembling hair-sized wires to dot-sized ICs under a microscope has made her pretty good at the details...

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-28-2004, 6:04 PM
I am a lucky guy too, in many respects, but pertaining to woodworking, my wife helps out in many ways. She never declines a tool purchase, because she knows how passionate I am about woodworking. After all, I was a woodworker when we met, and she respects that. She helps out in the shop when I need help, and sometimes she just watches me work. She also realizes, like Bill mentioned, when a guy needs to be alone in his little haven he calls his shop, and she allows me to do that as well. She has tried turning, but she is not into woodworking........she has her hobbies, and I have mine, and we are both fine with that. Actually, it was my wife who suggested that we build a dedicated shop and get me out of the basement. It was I who nixed the shop plan for this year, until I can save the money to do it the way it needs to be done, the FIRST time. So, instead, she insisted I purchase the Oneida Cyclone, which is overkill for now, but will be great for a dedicated shop. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. The LOML is the best you could ever hope for, and I am lucky to have her................actually, I have had her for 20 wonderful years TODAY. Yep, it's our anniversary............I gotta go............stuff to do! ;)

Carole Valentine
09-28-2004, 6:25 PM
Well I am without a sig-other a the moment, but I would not have wanted either of my ex hubbys to try and do anything with power tools! They both were accidents waiting to happen if they were doing anything other than sitting in their Lazy Boys! Next one, if there ever is another one, is going to be a shop buddy!

I think a lot of women would enjoy woodworking, but like myself, they grew up in an era when "girls didn't do that." Now that I am an "old lady", I have decided that was a bunch of bunk. Men like to cook; I like to cook...some men like to play with wood; why can't I play with wood? I do have a few neighbors that huff and roll their eyes when they see me in my shop. Lord only knows what they say about me, but then you know what? I really don't give a rip!:p

Ted Shrader
09-28-2004, 7:11 PM
All -

My wife enjoys coming out to the shop. She helps with sanding and finishing and generally keeps me company. She is now taking lathe classes - gloat in the making - and asking more questions about the other tools.

Oh, AND!! she thinks sweeping up sawdust is great fun. Gotta love her!

Ted

Mark Stutz
09-28-2004, 8:44 PM
I, too, am a lucky guy! :) Although my wife doesn't really have an interst in the process, she enjoys the end results, and is extremely supportive. She will always lend a hand when asked, and I frequently seek her opinion on design questions, and critiques of mock-ups, etc. Most of all though she understands how much my shoptime means to me as a way of relaxing and getting rid of stress. :)

Don Abele
09-28-2004, 9:19 PM
My wife enjoys coming out to the shop and asking if she can help. I am a loner in the shop and don't know what exactly to have her do. So she'll sit out there with me and watch (and keep me straight). Kinda like Tyler said...hard to be a worker and foreman at the same time. Anyway, she's extremely knowledgeable, she watches all the ww'ing shows with me and reads all the mags I get (the ww'ing ones :eek: - get your minds outta the gutter). She helped me frame and drywall our basement in a previous house and loves doing it. So why isn't she out there more - ME :( Guess I need to learn to share more. Maybe I'll get more toys that way!!! ;)

Be well,

Doc

John Miliunas
09-28-2004, 9:56 PM
Can't say for sure, but I think LOML may be related to Kent C.'s wife! :rolleyes: Described Jill to a "T"! I will add, however, she's usually pretty understanding about my tool purchases, especially when she sees house-related improvements coming off of them. (The SS was a bit tougher to get by!) She's always looking for bargains and keeping an eye out through all the newspapers for tools I "might" need and even for deals on wood! :D Really not much help in the shop, but she makes up for it in the house, as she likes to paint and decorate in general, so I rarely touch a roller or paint brush. My recent bathroom cabinet project was her general conception of what she wanted. I just added the details and the grunt. :) All in all, it works out pretty well. Quite honestly, I'm pretty much a "Lone Ranger" in the shop, anyway. Except when my daughter decides she'd like to try something, then I switch to "Dad & Teacher" mode! :cool:

Christine Tiede
09-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey guys..... and Carole!

I've been lurking around for a month or so, learning from you all. My household is entirely different than you describe yours to be! In my home, I am the messy one in general. I am the one who in the past couple of years fell absolutely in love with WW... sawdust and all. My husband, on the other hand, can't stand "all that mess" and I'm sure he doesn't even appreciate the extra money I bring in with my WW because he can't see the projects instead of all that sawdust!! (that pile of shavings in the yard from my planing yesterday is absolutely driving him nuts!! I don't have a shop yet, but perhaps next year, so the wood is always in the yard!!)

I would really enjoy the time together if he did decide to look past all of that mess..... but alas, he can't. I suppose that the good thing is that I am the one in the house who looks after the purse strings, so that when I want a tool, if it's possible I generally get it sooner or later. (it goes without saying that I'm not even in your guys' league in respect to tools and the quality or quantity of them!)

Well, that's my 2c. It's great to meet you all !:)
Christine

Bruce Page
09-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Larry, my wife took up chip carving two years ago and since then, spends a lot of time in the shop with me. She is also very willing to offer her opinion, which is mostly a good thing;) . She has the patience of a saint which makes her a very good detail sander, and that is a very good thing!

Earl Reid
09-28-2004, 11:31 PM
My LOML has always helped me in what ever I was doing. She is my best critic and has good ideas about some of my projects. When we built the shop she said to make it bigger, but I didn't listen and I still regret it. The only time she realy got upset with me was the time I made shelves and I used "finish washers", I gave in and redid them. Once in a while I tell her I'm going to use them on something, and she gives me that look.
She has attended many woodworking shows and has never complained about buying tools, only to buy better ones. We have worked side by side for
48 yrs , including building our first house. I couldn't ask for a better,wife,
mother, grandmother or friend. And , yes I help with the house chores.
Earl

Ernie Hobbs
09-29-2004, 1:33 AM
My wife isn't particularly interested in the shop. Sometimes I can get her to hang out with me while I work but usually the shop is my space and she stays in the house with the kids. I'm sure that one day, she'll get interested in doing stuff. She has plenty of hobbies and likes to paint and do decorating stuff. Maybe when the kids get older (daugher 5, son 2, one due in Nov)?

I grew up in a woodworking family. My Dad and Mom were a team. My Mom was great with turning fineals for bed posts, and doing the staining. She also did a lot of turning of crafts on the lathe. Now, they have a bed and breakfast and Mom stays too busy with that to spend much time in the shop. However, I really appreciated having a Mom that could do so many things.

My Dad teaches furniture-making classes and has students from all over the country come in for week-long classes. He told me that one the best students he ever had was a Physician's Assistant from Greensboro, NC- Susan Ireton. I knew her well and can confirm that she can hold her own with any guy I know in the shop.

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL

larry merlau
09-29-2004, 9:11 AM
The next day she helped me start moving everything around until now I have more room then I know what to do with (well almost :p ). MOst of it was her idea. She is always there when I need an extra hand. She lets me buy the tools I need and only complains a little. ;) Yup, I guess I'm a lucky guy. :D :D[/QUOTE]

well dick you are a lucky guy for sure, i to have had some assistance in arranging the shop, and lucky for me i have a IND.engineer in the family actually still lives in the same house :D well she is my daughter and she took and completly changed my arrangement and i now have a good work flow and centrally located everything. its good to have the young thoughts help out the old ideas. and my mrs. norm is right there when i need her for most anything :D

larry merlau
09-29-2004, 9:17 AM
Well my wife spends lots of time out in the shop. Sometimes she is helping me out, sometimes she is watching what is going on, and sometimes she is just keeping me company. One of the most valuable things she does is gasp! apply finish! :eek: Whe I am real busy getting ready for a show, or similar deadline, she is more than happy to take things out of the shop and varnish, paint, or whatever.

There are times though, when a man needs to be alone, and she recognizes that as well. Between her and the three daughters, the hormones can be flying thick and fast, and the house is no place for me to be. It is then that I announce in a firm voice that I am going to the shop, and will be back later.

Bill
well bill you definatly arent alone in that thought pattern, i have spent many hours out there for the same reasons 3 women are to many to handle at once and i can reclean a drawer or the floor or just set and think about the next project and be way more relaxed than entering the lions den with 3 hungry lions :D

Dan Gill
09-29-2004, 4:34 PM
I have been dropping very broad hints to my wife about finishing. I REALLY wish she'd learn to do that so I wouldn't have to.

Rosemary Steyerman
09-29-2004, 4:45 PM
I just read your thread and thought I should reply. I received my first tool about 2 years ago. It was a palm sander. Well since then boys, my tool list has grown significantly. Not only do I have my own tools, I have my own corner of the shop that includes, my scrollsaw, both drill presses, 12" band saw, oscilatting sander and disc sander. I help my husband with his woodworking adventures and he graciously helps me with mine. He even lets me use his tools, like his chop saw. :D

Michael Stafford
09-29-2004, 5:57 PM
Rosemary, all those things are okay. No hammers... :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
09-29-2004, 7:30 PM
I think Kent C. and John M.'s wives all are related or know my wife 'cause that be her! :)

I show her cool, neat looking stuff to my eyes and she goes, nope, doesn't go with the house decor. I love walnut but she thinks its too dark. I bought an 8/4 chunk of walnut for a mantle and now it isn't going to be a mantle. Now it is just a chunk of wood without a project!

My wife barely ventures out into the shop but she shocked me once. She wanted to redo the (cheap) vanity in our hall bathroom. So I took the doors off and drawer and she grabbed the Festool 150/5 and sanded them all down and repainted them and the vanity. She ended up painting the whole bathroom and we bought crown molding to put. I was impressed...it was a good little project for her so I know she has it in her.

Now she has expressed interest in taking some evening/weekend classes in Interior Decorating at San Jose State University. Not cheap but if that what she wants, she gets it! :)

My wife is remarkably well-balanced in both sides of the brain: she has a PhD in EE/Optics (very strong math skills) but can also draw very, very well and does have a keen eye for design.

Now I just gotta make what she wants and it is usually all that curvy, no square joints kinda stuff. I gotta lot to learn!! :)

Dennis Peacock
09-29-2004, 7:59 PM
WELCOME TO SMC Christine.!!!!!

Nice to have you here around the shade trees and mild running waters of the Creek. Keep those shaving a flyin' and post as often as you like. It's nice to have women post their perspective on things as well as their skills and idea. Makes for a nice addition to us all.

Hey guys..... and Carole!

I've been lurking around for a month or so, learning from you all. My household is entirely different than you describe yours to be! In my home, I am the messy one in general. I am the one who in the past couple of years fell absolutely in love with WW... sawdust and all. My husband, on the other hand, can't stand "all that mess" and I'm sure he doesn't even appreciate the extra money I bring in with my WW because he can't see the projects instead of all that sawdust!! (that pile of shavings in the yard from my planing yesterday is absolutely driving him nuts!! I don't have a shop yet, but perhaps next year, so the wood is always in the yard!!)

I would really enjoy the time together if he did decide to look past all of that mess..... but alas, he can't. I suppose that the good thing is that I am the one in the house who looks after the purse strings, so that when I want a tool, if it's possible I generally get it sooner or later. (it goes without saying that I'm not even in your guys' league in respect to tools and the quality or quantity of them!)

Well, that's my 2c. It's great to meet you all !:)
Christine

Dennis Peacock
09-29-2004, 8:04 PM
I just read your thread and thought I should reply. I received my first tool about 2 years ago. It was a palm sander. Well since then boys, my tool list has grown significantly. Not only do I have my own tools, I have my own corner of the shop that includes, my scrollsaw, both drill presses, 12" band saw, oscilatting sander and disc sander. I help my husband with his woodworking adventures and he graciously helps me with mine. He even lets me use his tools, like his chop saw. :D

Hello Rosemary and WELCOME TO SMC!!!!! :D Nice to have you here and please post some pics of your work. That way, Tyler, a member of the Pic Police won't get you on a penalty for not posting pics with a post. :eek: :D :p

larry merlau
09-30-2004, 9:27 AM

welcome rosemary and continue your progress, soon you will have more shop space and tools and need a larger shop :D hope to see some of your project pics. and as for the rest of the replys looks like the score is 23 to 3 the ladies seem to be holding back, probally from those of us who feel that the shop is for men only ;) i do see the need to have some time without them but i feel that if we are to make the family one we need to share as much as possibly. but i also know that you can lead a mule to water but you cant make him drink :D

James Giordano
10-02-2004, 4:34 PM
I'm Afraid to answer as SHE may read this :o