PDA

View Full Version : Hand plane spotted on prime-time TV!

James Scheffler
11-06-2009, 12:15 PM
On This Old House last night, Tom Silva was repairing an old window sill by gluing filler blocks on either end. He cut them oversize so they could be trimmed down to the level of the existing wood. I kind of expected he would break out the belt sander for that task, but instead he used what looked like a Stanley No. 5. (Possibly pretty modern as it had the red background behind "Stanley" on the lever cap. It didn't look shiny and new, though).

Probably 95% of the viewing audience was going :confused::confused::confused:. Those funny looking things are useful for something after all! :D

Jim

Zach England
11-06-2009, 2:02 PM
When I saw "prime time tv" I was thinking it was a prop on dancing with the stars or something.

Scott Burright
11-06-2009, 3:00 PM
I guess they couldn't think up a table saw jig for that.

jerry nazard
11-06-2009, 5:33 PM
Festool does not make a window sill trimmer... (yet).

Robby Tacheny
11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I have been helping someone with a kitchen and some maple pre-made and pre-finished cabinets. Some dimensions were not perfect due to unsquare walls and non-level floors. In the end a #5 and #4 planes were the 2nd most used tool next to the table saw. The table saw ripped fillers and the kick plate for the cabinets. The rest was handplanes to make gentle tapers and provide a square edge without killing the finish on the parts.

Everyone was impressed with how well handplanes got the job done.

-R

Harlan Barnhart
11-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Everyone was impressed with how well handplanes got the job done.

-R
*grin* Most people are pretty easy to impress with a sharp, well adjusted, properly handled old tool.

Roger Benton
11-08-2009, 10:24 AM
my wife and i just watched the movie 'Seven' (gory thriller with brad pitt and morgan freeman) the other night on cable and there's a seen where the cops are rummaging through the bad guys house and they look in a case and voila!!! it appears to be a very nice and compactly laid out rolling tool case with french fitted everything: a set of planes, a wood handled brace, bits, squares, etc. i hit the rewind button 10 times before i remembered it was cable tv.

Richard Gonzalez
11-08-2009, 9:41 PM
On the show NCIS, Leroy Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon), the lead character, is often shown working on a boat in his basement. Over the years he has build several. Only hand tools are evident. An ongoing "mystery" on the show is how he gets the boats out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leroy_Jethro_Gibbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Msn_dB23c

Richard Magbanua
11-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Just spotted John Lithgow using a smooth plane on Dexter. He was also cleaning up a tenon with a chisel. For all the Dexter fans out there, Dex is a neander,too!

jerry nazard
11-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Just spotted John Lithgow using a smooth plane on Dexter. He was also cleaning up a tenon with a chisel. For all the Dexter fans out there, Dex is a neander,too!

Big Dexter fan, here. Yep, Dex is a Neander... he just uses his tools on something other than wood. :eek:

Richard Magbanua
11-08-2009, 10:57 PM
So, is a bone saw file crosscut or rip? :rolleyes:

jerry nazard
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Rip. :rolleyes:

Alan Zenreich
11-09-2009, 9:34 AM
Definately a R.I.P. saw

Zach England
11-09-2009, 12:08 PM
A friend of mine really likes "Dexter". I had never heard of it until she mentioned it. I don't watch TV aside from football and baseball and I don't get Showtime, but I might have to look for that on DVD if there is woodworking involved.

Scott Burright
11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Spotted that smoother on Dexter last night too. Lithgow's character was building a great big coffin out of a cypress tree he and Dexter had cut down earlier. Looked to me like they had bucked the logs way too short for the purpose, but hey, it's TV.

Wish they'd shown him milling the boards. :D

Recently on NCIS, a character gave Gibbs a short bevel-edged chisel, and he called it a mortising chisel. I yelled at the screen.

Mark Lawrence
11-09-2009, 4:53 PM
I thought that Lithgow was a little over extended in his planing technique.

Richard Magbanua
11-09-2009, 4:57 PM
I think he was a little stressed out :eek:

Mark Lawrence
11-09-2009, 5:17 PM
He could be?