PDA

View Full Version : whats the score on the "SAND Flea"

larry merlau
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
have seen an article mentioning the sand flea(portable drum sander) was wondering if any of you folks have or had one, and your opinions on such tool. heard of it from another tool distributor talkin with a customer while at a tool show. thanks for the input. :confused:

Michael Ballent
09-28-2004, 1:11 PM
I saw it in action from Klingspor, but I think that RBI purchased it and bumped up the price :(. It looked ok to me, I would suppose that it would behave like a jointer if you are not careful with the downward pressure. I seem to remember that when Klingspor had it, it was 300 bucks still pricey but I guess if you had some scroll work that you wanted to sand it would be ok, but it did not really light my fire... Depending on the price I would go for the little Performax.

Michael Ballent
09-28-2004, 6:17 PM
Actually it was purchased my Advanced Machinery and it sells for $565, ouch. It's only a few paychecks away from getting the 16-32 IMO ;).

Curt Harms
09-28-2004, 6:30 PM
have seen an article mentioning the sand flea(portable drum sander) was wondering if any of you folks have or had one, and your opinions on such tool. heard of it from another tool distributor talkin with a customer while at a tool show. thanks for the input. :confused:
at the show at Ft. Washington last year. It seems handy for small pieces, but too much money for what it is. With SWMBO's blessing, I got the Performax 16/32 plus; I'm happy with that purchase. If the SandFlea were $200 or so, it might be worthwhile to me. HTH

Curt

Charles McKinley
09-28-2004, 9:15 PM
There is a kit deal simular to this. I'll see if I can find the magazine I saw it in. I think it was round $200.

Lloyd Brown
09-29-2004, 11:53 AM
I just bought it last week at the woodshow. I am waiting on the motor to arrive. I noticed all the resonces are from people without one. I will post a reveiw when I have mine up and running. So far the quality looks good. Flat steel, quality parts, and I know it has a Baldor motor. Give me a week or two to play with it and I will get back to you.