PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base Design

John Craig Brown
11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Quick question - why do mobile bases always have two fixed wheels, which limit side to side mobility - you end up backing the unit up in stages to move it side to side if you have space problems, and most of us do.

I was thinking about getting the Delta Universal Base system, I wish they offered different wheel configurations as you build the rails anyway.

Opinions or rationale anyone?

Scott Schwake
11-06-2009, 10:42 AM
I've wondered that same thing. The best option I can come up with is to build your own, which I plan on doing one of these days. There are some great designs here on the Creek if you search around.

Jason White
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I built a base for my cabinet saw out of wood and used 4" double-locking swivel casters. Having all 4 casters swivel made steering the saw around my shop a bit unwieldy. I've since swapped two of the casters for non-swivel and now I just steer it like a car. Kind of a pain in the butt, but I don't see any better options at the moment.

Also, it was tough locking all 4 casters because I could only lock two with my feet. The other two I always had to crawl under the saw and lock them by hand. Also seems to be a tiny bit less "wiggle" in the saw with two fixed casters, but it might just be my imagination.

Jason

Quick question - why do mobile bases always have two fixed wheels, which limit side to side mobility - you end up backing the unit up in stages to move it side to side if you have space problems, and most of us do.

I was thinking about getting the Delta Universal Base system, I wish they offered different wheel configurations as you build the rails anyway.

Opinions or rationale anyone?

John Craig Brown
11-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Jason

Nice base!! I was going to build mine with pressure treated 2bys.

Roger Jensen
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Unless you work in a damp environment and need them I wouldn't use the pressure treated wood. You don't need to expose yourself to the chemicals when cutting and working the wood, and they will be off-gassing for a long time.

Maybe I'm just paranoid about chemicals. I think the companies treat the wood with chemicals considered non-toxic until proven otherwise.

Stan Mitchell
11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I think it's an issue of being able to steer it. The mobile base on my table saw has two locking fixed wheels and two locking swivels. I don't think I'd want 4 swivels on it either - too squirrely for moving it very far.

I did build a mobile base for my band saw with 4 - 3" locking swivels and it's just fine for moving around. But the band saw is bit lighter than the table saw and I'm usually just moving the band out away the wall a bit - not out the door or into the middle of the shop.

Tom Esh
11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Jason

...I was going to build mine with pressure treated 2bys.

I wouldn't use that stuff near anything that can rust. The chemicals used in PT aren't as nasty as they once were, but they're still corrosive and the moisture content alone is a problem. I won't even store it in my shop.

Jason White
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Good point, Stan.

I have all swivels on my smaller tools (bandsaw, planer, etc.), which are all mounted on wooden shop carts. I like being able to "spin" them around when needed -- which in my tiny shop is most of the time.:D

For the heaviest tools like my tablesaw and jointer, I prefer two swivels and two fixed.

Jason

I think it's an issue of being able to steer it. The mobile base on my table saw has two locking fixed wheels and two locking swivels. I don't think I'd want 4 swivels on it either - too squirrely for moving it very far.

I did build a mobile base for my band saw with 4 - 3" locking swivels and it's just fine for moving around. But the band saw is bit lighter than the table saw and I'm usually just moving the band out away the wall a bit - not out the door or into the middle of the shop.

Jason White
11-06-2009, 1:02 PM
That works, too.

I opted for red oak because I wanted everything to be good and stiff.

Jason

Jason

Tom Slupek
11-06-2009, 1:04 PM
I ahd a mobile base with just one swivel wheel in the center and two fixed one on my previous table saw and it was a bear to move it in the right direction. When I bought my PM66 I welded a mobile base for it with four swivel casters on it and it is much easier to move it just as needed. If I need mobile bases I will weld them from now on and they will be just what I want not what some company X or Y offers.

Jason White
11-06-2009, 1:09 PM
Can you please post a picture, Tom?

Jason

I ahd a mobile base with just one swivel wheel in the center and two fixed one on my previous table saw and it was a bear to move it in the right direction. When I bought my PM66 I welded a mobile base for it with four swivel casters on it and it is much easier to move it just as needed. If I need mobile bases I will weld them from now on and they will be just what I want not what some company X or Y offers.

Myk Rian
11-06-2009, 9:33 PM
Just made a base for my 8" Griz jointer out of some old growth pine I have.
Used 5 1/2" casters on it because the weight makes smaller wheels dig into the 1/2" floor pads I use. 2 casters are fixed, the other 2 swivel. Makes it easy to steer it around. As it sits, the tables are 35" from the floor. Nice height for me.

Rob Sack
11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Jason

Unless the base was going to be in contact with the ground, I wouldn't use pressure treated lumber. It usually is of inferior quality, it is often higher in moisture content, and cutting and drilling it will expose you to the toxic chemicals in the wood.

Chip Lindley
11-07-2009, 2:04 AM
The first-ever mobile stand I made was for the base of a very heavy (to me) Rockwell RC33 planer. I used four heavy duty swivel casters which could be raised to allow the legs to rest solidly on the floor. (A design carryover from my old Craftsman Days) When in the mobile position, I found that four swivel casters have a mind of their own. I have shoved, tugged, pulled, moaned, groaned and cussed! to get the machine to travel in the direction wanted. FOUR SWIVEL CASTERS basically SUCKS!

Although a *tricycle-type* base such as HTC or DELTA requires some see-sawing back n forth, I still feel it is less work to maneuver than the *Mobile Base From Hell* !!!

Bill Bixby
11-07-2009, 2:33 AM
anyone found a caster wheel that will roll right over an extension cord? I'd pay good money for one.

Jason White
11-07-2009, 4:21 AM
The bigger the wheel, the easier it will be to roll over things.

I'd try a 5" or 6" urethane caster.

Jason

anyone found a caster wheel that will roll right over an extension cord? I'd pay good money for one.

mickey cassiba
11-07-2009, 9:51 AM
I'd be leery about rolling anything heavy over an extension cord, sounds like a good way to start a fire.
Just my opinion,
Mickey

Jim O'Dell
11-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I have several of the Ridgid Herc-U-Lifts on saws and other mobile bases in the shop. All 4 wheels swivel for moving. When stationary, the wheels are off the ground so the tool doesn't wobble at all. If I could make one work for the upcoming cabinet saw, I would. I love being able to go in any direction. Never found it to be hard to move, except the cart for the planer that is too small and wants to tip, and these are small casters.
If you already have a pre-made mobile base, couldn't you just replace the 2 stationary casters with locking swivels? Jim.

Vince Shriver
11-07-2009, 1:42 PM
One thing that always seems like a small PIA, is having to bend down on both side a machine to unscrew the caster locks (not all that big of a deal, but just kind of irratating). I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the threaded screw with a long threaded rod that could do the job without having to bend down. I suppose that would require some kind of bracket near the knob, which would probably have to be attached to the machine.... Just wondering. After you reach a certain age, whenever you have to bend over pick something up, you ask yourself: "Is there anything else I need while I'm down here?"

Jason White
11-07-2009, 1:55 PM
My casters have the "foot-pedal" that locks both the wheel and the swivel. No bending necessary.

Jason

One thing that always seems like a small PIA, is having to bend down on both side a machine to unscrew the caster locks (not all that big of a deal, but just kind of irratating). I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the threaded screw with a long threaded rod that could do the job without having to bend down. I suppose that would require some kind of bracket near the knob, which would probably have to be attached to the machine.... Just wondering. After you reach a certain age, whenever you have to bend over pick something up, you ask yourself: "Is there anything else I need while I'm down here?"

Matt Sollars
11-07-2009, 2:08 PM
I would love to hear where some of you are getting your casters.
Any links if it's online, or names if they're from the borgs.

Thanks guys. There are two mobile bases in my future...
New 8'' Grizzly Jointer and new 1023SL Table saw.

(still working on that cosmoline ...)

Rod Sheridan
11-07-2009, 3:45 PM
I like mobile bases with two fixed wheels, especially for heavy machines.

I find it a lot of effort to push and steer at the same time, it's a lot easier if you're only providing one set of forces at a time.

In that manner, I now make most bases as a semi live skid, with a detachable tow bar.

http://www.colsoncaster.com/

The above link is my favourite caster supplier.

Regards, Rod.

Cary Falk
11-07-2009, 5:18 PM
[QUOTE=Matt Sollars;1254340]I would love to hear where some of you are getting your casters.

QUOTE]

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001989/2001989.aspx
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11881.

There is a little bit of play in the Hartville ones when they are locked down but they are great for the money. The Woodcraft ones are excellent

Jason White
11-07-2009, 5:22 PM
Woodcraft has the best that I've found. Definitely not the cheapest, but certainly the best.

As it happens, they're on sale for 30% off right now.

Jason

I would love to hear where some of you are getting your casters.

Thanks guys. There are two mobile bases in my future...
New 8'' Grizzly Jointer and new 1023SL Table saw.

(still working on that cosmoline ...)

Myk Rian
11-07-2009, 5:31 PM
Harbor Freight has a good selection. Some are cast iron with urethane tires.

Steven DeMars
11-07-2009, 6:27 PM
Harbor Freight has a good selection. Some are cast iron with urethane tires.

No more Harbor Freight Casters for me . . . They have some peculiar very strong smell that will take over your shop & your home . .

Just left a set of four out for the garbage man . . .

Steve:)

Andrew Schlosser
11-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I just returned a set of Woodcraft casters, as I could find a similar caster from Great Lakes Caster (http://greatlakescaster.com)- similar caster for 2/3 the price, and when you buy in groups of 4, it adds up.

Bud Millis
11-08-2009, 1:43 AM

Use a car tire! Smart cars have very small wheels.

Doug Carpenter
11-08-2009, 8:21 AM
I would definetly not use treated lumber. It is rumored that it can eat through a standard joist hanger in 30 days. I'm not sure about than but I have seen it rust regular nails lickety split. I'm sure it would ruin the base of your machine pretty quickly. They say it is safer than it used to b but after working with both I don't beleive it. I prefer not to work with it at all.

Any body make a base that leaves the machine close to the ground? I like the idea of making my own but I don't want my tablesaw 6" off the ground. I do like the idea of wheels that move so the machine is not sitting on them when being used.

Rod Sheridan
11-08-2009, 9:55 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88687

Hi Doug, I always make my mobile bases so that they only raise the machine about 1/2" above the floor.

At 5' 7", I'd need a step stool otherwise.:D

I've included a link to the mobile base I made for my jointer/planer.

Regards, Rod.

Cary Falk
11-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Any body make a base that leaves the machine close to the ground? I like the idea of making my own but I don't want my tablesaw 6" off the ground. I do like the idea of wheels that move so the machine is not sitting on them when being used.

I orginally had a 7' fence shifted to the left so I would have 42" on the right and 24" on the left. I have since shifted the fence all the way to the right an it is real tippy. I can't bring myself to scrap the whole mobile base,so I am making a bolt on metal extension similar to what you would bolt on to a metal base.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0306a.jpg