PDA

View Full Version : Another CL offer, thoughts?

Jay Jagerson
11-06-2009, 8:40 AM
Found this on Craigs List, http:// minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/1453533711.html

This is the Delta midi-lathe with extension -

What should a delta midi lathe go for? To me this seems a little high. Thoughts?

This would be my first lathe, I have been looking at getting a new Jet- 1642 and that maybe the way I will go but saw this and thought I may get my feet wet without to big of a outlay for a lathe. I would think I would outgrow this to fast but I'm not really smart enough to know.

For a smaller lathe like this I dont see a use for the bed extension?

For now I would lilke to turn some of those nice bird houses that I have seen here, can cooler, etc.

My thought was if I buy it for the right price I should be able to sell it without to many issues.

Should I run away?

Stick with my orginal plans?

Is this thing even worth .10cents?

Thoughts?

Thanks, Jay

Steve Mawson
11-06-2009, 9:32 AM
Not sure which model this is as the listing is gone when I looked or it, couldn't find it anyway. If its the older midi they were not rated that high, short on power and as with many lathes the low end is way too fast on rpm. From you post it seems to me you had about talked yourself out of this lathe anyway. If you really wanted a midi to start I would stick with a jet or the newer delta's. I have the Delta 46-460 and like it very much. Only problem is there is not enough mass to turn a bowl blank that is out of balance at higher rpm. Probably need to give some thought to a new stand.

That's my thoughts which are worth about what it cost you.

Steve

steven carter
11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Jay,

I don't know about the Delta, but I have the Jet 1642 and love it. If you can swing it, I think the 1642 would be a fantastic first lathe, it may well be my last.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
The craigslist ad is still active - when you copy the address to your browser - be sure to remove the space in front of minneapolis.

Just a reminder to everyone that direct craigslist links are only allowed in the Deals & Discounts Forum where they are discarded once inactive. The problem with allowing direct CL links in regular forum threads is that once the item is sold - the seller removes the ad - which means there is no longer a reference for the thread. Pretty much guts the whole purpose of the thread!

Jay Jagerson
11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks everone, think I will pass.

Also noted the rules for the CL link, makes sense to me.

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2009, 8:50 PM
Jay for that kind of money I would opt for the new 46-460 VS. It has a 12" swing with a 1 hp motor. The one you looked at is way over priced.