PDA

View Full Version : Finishing ornaments?

Dan Forman
11-06-2009, 6:29 AM
I turned my first birdhouse/acorn ornament tonight, but haven't decided what to use for a finish. So - two questions - what do you use, and do you finish on the lathe or off? Thanks,

Dan

Greg Just
11-06-2009, 6:57 AM
Dan:

I have been making a bunch of oraments in preparation for a craft show. I typically sand them on the lathe, although there are times I need to do a little off the lathe if the scratches are across the grain. Next I insert the eye hook, hand it from a wire in my shop and then spray with a rattle can laquer I at W-mart. It takes 3 or 4 light coats to get a nice finish.

Good luck with your ornaments.

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2009, 9:30 AM
Dan - I use a small foam brush and apply a coat of poly - off the lathe. I usually only apply one coat to the birdhouse ornaments - just enough to help seal the wood - and leave it more of a natural/rustic look.

Steve Mawson
11-06-2009, 9:34 AM
I have used mostly laquer, spray can, and sometimes buff. All off the lathe. I just like them shinny, personal pref.

Walter Mooney
11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
+ 1 for the spray lacquer (gloss), off the lathe, hanging from a wire clothes hanger that I hold in my other hand.

Bill Bulloch
11-06-2009, 1:45 PM
Half the time I do not apply anything to my Ornamental Bird Houses. I just buff them through all three stages of the beale systems. Other times, I just apply tung oil and them buff out.

Jim Underwood
11-06-2009, 2:13 PM
Have used laquer in the past, now using wipe on polyurethane. If you like a shiny finish the lacquer is much easier and quicker. The poly takes more coats, dries slower, and needs to be buffed to get a good shine. If you like a soft shine, the poly just takes a couple coats. Just a rag, no spraying necessary.

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2009, 8:32 PM
Dan I make around 75 mini-birdhouses a year and use strictly Deft spray lacquer on them. I don't buff because I think it is a waste of time especially if you use gloss lacquer.

Dan Forman
11-07-2009, 5:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try both a wipe/brush on and the lacquer, see which I like best. I thought maybe some might use a friction polish, though I'm wary of the durability factor.

Dan