PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Laser Engraving

Billy Tallant
11-06-2009, 2:58 AM
Just started turning acrylic pens. I've been having some of my wood pens laser engraved. Can I have my acrylic pens laser engraved? Any problems while laser engraving the acrylic?

All comments welcome!!!

Chris Stolicky
11-06-2009, 8:07 AM
I have had solid surface material (corian) engraved, as well as lucite. No other types of acrylics though. You will have to get them filled or it will not show up very well.

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2009, 9:46 AM
Moved this to Engraving in hopes you can help Billy out. We know how to spin stuff - haven't a clue when it comes to engraving!

Thanks!

Dan Hintz
11-06-2009, 9:54 AM
Billy,

No problem with engraving acrylic, but as Chris mentioned, you [/u]may[/u] have to get them color-filled. It depends on the type of acrylic used (cast or extruded). If it's cast, you'll get a nice contrasting white engraving. With extruded, you'll get more of a transparent engraving that will only be noticeable at the right angle in the light.

I'd love to see some pics of what you've done.

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2009, 7:35 PM
It's subtle, in many cases, especially clear. Dark colors engrave pretty well with a grayish white text, and some of the translucent and florescent acrylics come out great.

Deane Shepard
11-06-2009, 11:27 PM
I've turned and laser engraved lots of acrylic pens. As the other replies have suggested, filling with Rub-n-Buff or some other type of color fill may be required. I usually use silver or gold Rub-n-Buff to match the metal components of the pen. You will probably see better results with shallower engraving.

I have seen some very surprising results when lasering. I had a red/pink/white acrylic swirl that when lasered, the red turned white, the pink was hard to see the engraving and the white turned green. I've also used the laser to deeply engrave "sets" to hold Swarovski crystals on the pen body and end. The laser can give you some great options for enhancing your pen turning efforts.

Deane Shepard
ULS M360

Billy Tallant
11-07-2009, 2:47 AM
Thanks for all of the info. I may have to try a few to see how they turn out.