PDA

View Full Version : Indecisve cabinet saw purchaser

Matthew Chamberlin
11-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on the forum for years, but never posted before.

I had finally talked myself into getting the grizzly G0691. But while i was getting ready check out i read a post on saw creek about 15% off powermatic tool sale. Now I'm back to being indecisive. I have enough to get a PM 2000, but if i go with the Grizzly, I can afford dust collection or maybe a drill press....

So i'm guess I'm asking for opinions. Any Grizzly owners wish they would have spent the money and got a little more saw?

Thansk!

scott vroom
11-06-2009, 12:25 AM
I have a Griz 0690 TS and couldn't be happier. I say get the Griz and have some $ left over for other tools.

Rob Waldref
11-06-2009, 12:39 AM
What a coincidence- I had the exact same thoughts. I finally pulled the trigger and bought..........the Grizzly. It should be delivered early next week. My previous Grizzly experiences are what swayed me, but it was close. I'm confident that I'll quite happy with the G0651, although it doesn't have that cool built in mobile base

Greg Wittler
11-06-2009, 1:55 AM
Yet another person who is about to buy a G0690. I too was wondering the same thing. Earlier this week I read a post for a Barebones Unisaw @ Amazon.com for about the same price as the Grizz. From what I found on the web about that saw it had a cheaper motor than the higher priced Unisaws, and from a Fine Woodworking Magazine Table Saw Test, the Unisaw had the worst arbor run out of all the saws. Also, I have read many positive posts on Grizzly's customer service and with Powermatic...not so much. Maybe if I could afford the new Delta Saw,(to support America's industry) it would be a different story. I went through this about 10 years ago, when Grizzly's rep wasn't as good and torn on which saw to get and so I waited and then I got laid off. So after 10 years I have the means, and I have to find all the boxes for the Incra Fence system I bought (stupidly before the saw). I even looked at some used P66's but I am pretty sure that G0690 will be in my garage before Christmas.

Rick Fisher
11-06-2009, 2:04 AM
Grizzly has a great sale on there saws right now.. It appears they have a new lineup coming..

If your not fussy over a few hundred, you might wait to see the new Grizzlies when they come out..

Nick Lazz
11-06-2009, 2:04 AM
I have the 0691 and like it.... I chose it over the 1023 but with the sale on the 1023 right now, you could save even more.

Just curious, I had reasons (American motor, dust collection location) just like anyone else I suppose, but with the newest sale on the 1023 what do you like about the 0691 better than the 1023?

Either way,I think you will be just fine.

Jim O'Dell
11-06-2009, 8:39 AM
For me, Nick, it would be the true riving knife, and the Leeson motor would be a big plus. It has a lot more weight, so should be more stable. The 1023 is not a bad choice though, especially at the current reduced price. But the riving knife is worth the extra bucks to me. Jim.

John Coloccia
11-06-2009, 8:52 AM
For me, Nick, it would be the true riving knife, and the Leeson motor would be a big plus. It has a lot more weight, so should be more stable. The 1023 is not a bad choice though, especially at the current reduced price. But the riving knife is worth the extra bucks to me. Jim.

Boy, you nailed that. Now that I have a SawStop with a riving knife, I just would never buy a table saw without a riving knife again. Lee Styron's (spelling?) Shark Guard has a riving knife, and in fact I just ordered one for my SawStop (because the stock dust collection is pitiful). He might make one for the 1023. Generally, Lee's setup seems like a nice upgrade for a lot of saws.

Matthew Chamberlin
11-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Ok according to the specs sheet the G0691 weighs 590 pounds, but approximate shipping weight is 572. how does that work?

scott vroom
11-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I'd pay the extra bucks and get the G0690 or G0691 with the riving knife over the G1023. You might save a few dollars on the 1023 but the safety provided by the riving knife is a must have IMO.

Matthew Chamberlin
11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Well it doesnt look like anyone is going to talk me out fo the Grizzly, so I'll go with the G0691. it's sale comes out to be the cheapest by far, $1,215 with shipping. If any one cares some other good upcoming sales are....

JET JTAS-10XL50-1PK cabient saw with a 50" xacta fence will be on sale for $1365.65 at tools-plus later this month.

The Powermatic 1792000K Model PM2000, with 3hp motor and 50'' fence will be $2028.65

scott vroom
11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Good choice on the G0691....you won't be disappointed.

guy knight
11-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Well it doesnt look like anyone is going to talk me out fo the Grizzly, so I'll go with the G0691. it's sale comes out to be the cheapest by far, $1,215 with shipping. If any one cares some other good upcoming sales are....

JET JTAS-10XL50-1PK cabient saw with a 50" xacta fence will be on sale for $1365.65 at tools-plus later this month.

The Powermatic 1792000K Model PM2000, with 3hp motor and 50'' fence will be $2028.65

the jet is a really good saw and it has a 5 year warranty and better resale value and jet and pm will be 15% off the day after turkey day

Jim O'Dell
11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Ok according to the specs sheet the G0691 weighs 590 pounds, but approximate shipping weight is 572. how does that work?

I think the 572 is just the shipping weight of the base saw. The rails, fence, and extension table are separate packages with their own weights. The online owners manual breaks down all the packages by shipping weight. Hope this helps. Jim.

Matthew Chamberlin
11-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I think the 572 is just the shipping weight of the base saw. The rails, fence, and extension table are separate packages with their own weights. The online owners manual breaks down all the packages by shipping weight. Hope this helps. Jim.

That makes since, thanks

Ben West
11-06-2009, 1:06 PM
I've been going through the same thought process, and I'm going with the PM2000.

Add $150 or so to the Grizzly for a mobile base - the PM has integral casters - and the price gets even closer.

The PM 5-year warranty and longevity of the PM name made it an easy decision for me.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-06-2009, 1:43 PM
If it were in my budget, I'd for sure gor for the PM. I don't own either, but I do own a Sawstop. The riving knife is the best safety feature of any saw. The PM is always at the top of the testing heap.....

Jeff Monson
11-06-2009, 2:54 PM
The comments about the riving knife are about as good of advice as can be had on this forum. I asked the same question a little over a year ago and got similar responses, I went with the pm2000 and I didnt get it for 2k, thats a REALLY sweet deal on a saw that will last you a lifetime. I'm thrilled with this saw, and I would never own a saw without a riving knife.

Nick Lazz
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Boy, you nailed that. Now that I have a SawStop with a riving knife, I just would never buy a table saw without a riving knife again. Lee Styron's (spelling?) Shark Guard has a riving knife, and in fact I just ordered one for my SawStop (because the stock dust collection is pitiful). He might make one for the 1023. Generally, Lee's setup seems like a nice upgrade for a lot of saws.

You know, I thought I would like the riving knife too, but have yet to put it on. What's the big deal? I have never had a kickback problem... is there something else I am missing?

Maybe I'll try it!

glenn bradley
11-06-2009, 11:13 PM
You know, I thought I would like the riving knife too, but have yet to put it on. What's the big deal? I have never had a kickback problem... is there something else I am missing?

Maybe I'll try it!

Are you saying you don't run any kind of splitter? Tempting fate my friend. Please be careful.

John Coloccia
11-06-2009, 11:16 PM

Maybe I'll try it!

Do you do a lot of sheet goods? It doesn't seem to be as big a deal with sheet goods. If you deal with a lot of solid wood products, especially stuff with gnarly grain, it's not too uncommon to find a piece of wood that will start to close up on the kerf as you rip it. The riving knife doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of a kickback, but it sure does help give you a bunch of warning that something bad is happening at the back of the cut. Also, it'll help if you lose you're attention for a second, and let the back of the cut creep off the fence. You won't really get any feedback in this case...you just won't get the kickback you normally would.

I've never gotten a kickback without the riving knife, but I've had a couple of close calls where it's taken a whole bunch of muscle to keep the back of the cut out of the blade while I'm struggling to hit the off switch on the saw. The riving knife really gives a bunch of positive feedback and let's me shut things down before they get out of hand.

What's really nice about a riving knife is that it moves up and down with the saw blade. A standard splitter is fixed, so the distance between the splitter and the blade becomes pretty large unless the blade is nearly fully extended. This significantly reduces the effectiveness of the splitter. Also, the splitter needs to be removed for non-through cuts. The riving knife is set slightly below the height of the saw blade, so non-through cuts are a non-issues. It's not uncommon for a splitter to NEVER be installed on the saw because it constantly has to be installed and uninstalled for non-through cuts. For this reason, a splitter is somewhat useless in a production environment. Hell....I never installed the splitter or blade guard on my old Delta for just this reason, and I was never a production environment. It was just really inconvenient.

I hope I'm explaining this well. The riving knife is just a lot more effective overall, and significantly more convenient (i.e. you'll actually use it!).

Guy Belleman
11-06-2009, 11:24 PM
the Grizzly 0690 is also a great saw, with the riving knife, and on sale too for $1125.

I am plenty happy with my 0690, and can still cut the occasional sheet of plywood. I just don't need all of the that length out to the right of the blade. What I do find useful is more support on a table extension out the back.

Good luck.

Arnold E Schnitzer
11-07-2009, 9:16 AM
I just ordered a PM2000 from Tools Plus, taking advantage of the 15% off and $6.50 shipping special. I think this deal is incredible. Based on the only Grizzly tool I own, an oscillating spindle sander, Grizzly was not on my short list. I hope I have not offended anyone.

Jim O'Dell
11-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Guy, remember there is shipping on the G0690, making the end price 1269.00. While the price on the G0691 in the magazines is 1215.00 with free shipping. Jim.

Matthew Chamberlin
11-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Guy, remember there is shipping on the G0690, making the end price 1269.00. While the price on the G0691 in the magazines is 1215.00 with free shipping. Jim.

yep, thats the only reason i ruled it out.

Nick Lazz
11-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Do you do a lot of sheet goods? It doesn't seem to be as big a deal with sheet goods. If you deal with a lot of solid wood products, especially stuff with gnarly grain, it's not too uncommon to find a piece of wood that will start to close up on the kerf as you rip it. The riving knife doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of a kickback, but it sure does help give you a bunch of warning that something bad is happening at the back of the cut. Also, it'll help if you lose you're attention for a second, and let the back of the cut creep off the fence. You won't really get any feedback in this case...you just won't get the kickback you normally would.

I've never gotten a kickback without the riving knife, but I've had a couple of close calls where it's taken a whole bunch of muscle to keep the back of the cut out of the blade while I'm struggling to hit the off switch on the saw. The riving knife really gives a bunch of positive feedback and let's me shut things down before they get out of hand.

What's really nice about a riving knife is that it moves up and down with the saw blade. A standard splitter is fixed, so the distance between the splitter and the blade becomes pretty large unless the blade is nearly fully extended. This significantly reduces the effectiveness of the splitter. Also, the splitter needs to be removed for non-through cuts. The riving knife is set slightly below the height of the saw blade, so non-through cuts are a non-issues. It's not uncommon for a splitter to NEVER be installed on the saw because it constantly has to be installed and uninstalled for non-through cuts. For this reason, a splitter is somewhat useless in a production environment. Hell....I never installed the splitter or blade guard on my old Delta for just this reason, and I was never a production environment. It was just really inconvenient.

I hope I'm explaining this well. The riving knife is just a lot more effective overall, and significantly more convenient (i.e. you'll actually use it!).

Thanks John, that was a great explanation. I do cut a lot of plywood but I cut solid wood too...I guess I just never had too many problems in that regard. Maybe I have been lucky.

Glenn - the riving knife is now on. You can rest easy :D.

Gerry Werth
11-07-2009, 11:16 PM
You will be happy with it. See my post also. I just finished putting mine together. Need the electrical hookup yet, otherwise ready to power it up. Assembly went well, fit and finish look extremely good. Nice unit IMHO.

Matthew Chamberlin
11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
I was showing my wife the grizzly today online. And in a very uncharacteristic moment (she normally doesn’t support my tool habit), she said "why don't you just get the good saw, 'cause there is no way you’re getting another table saw after this” I just thought this was funny. And in my defense I only have only ever owned ONE table saw, and it was given to me.

I'm still getting the grizzly. Largely do their customer service, and the fact that the owner frequents internet forums. To me it shows pride and confidence in your product. I just wish someone made a good saw in the USA that Billjillion dollars

David Dalzell
11-09-2009, 1:22 PM
I have the Powermatic PM2000 and it works wonderfully. I also have the Grizzly 12" jointer/planer combo and the Grizzly 21" bandsaw. Both also work wonderfully. Being fairly new to woodworking (one year) I have had several, help me, phone conversations with technical services from both Powermatic and Grizzly. All-in-all they are great folks. Very helpfull and patient with a newbe. I would not hesitate to buy any of the Grizzly or Powermatic products.