PDA

View Full Version : Great big ol' sander gloat, plus one

Gary Herrmann
11-05-2009, 9:19 PM
Last Sunday I drove down to John Land's place in Indiana. When I noticed his ad in the classifieds last week, I saw he was selling a General 100-5 sander. He sent me a couple pics, told me the price and off I went with thoughts of segmented turnings running through my head.

It's got a couple spots of surface rust on the belt cover. I'm going to sand and repaint them so they don't spread, but they're pretty minor. A couple small spots on the tables. I'll sand them a bit too. Both the disc and the belt run very smoothly. 2 hp, 220v, 1PH. Tag inside says it was built in 1992. Wow, General builds robust tools. 550 lbs. The base came with the sander. Welded out of 1/2" plate steel. I think it weighs over 100 lbs.

As I was leaving the CFO pointed out a couple grinders behind a giant metal lathe. She should have known better.

One General 100-5 sander. $800. One Baldor 1/2 hp floor stand grinder. $200. Both nearly all cast iron. 8 hours of driving and two very strong young guys to help me get them downstairs.

I think John still has some big items left. You might want to give him a call.

Wes Grass
11-05-2009, 9:52 PM
You, Sir, suck so bad I can feel a black hole forming near St Louis.

$800? I think these list for around 4k new. Only used one I've seen for sale is in Canada for about $2700US.

Boy am I glad I didn't see this. Driving my F-150 to Indiana would have been horrible. I'm definitely drinking heavily tonight.

Dave Lehnert
11-05-2009, 11:22 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Rick Fisher
11-06-2009, 2:10 AM
I gotta agree.. you really suck.. That is a really great deal..

That General Canadian made stuff is sooo nicely made..

So that you know, General sells "General Green paint" in aresol.. I have one.. They are $20.00 .. which is kinda high, but the color is identical...

They are "custom" spray bombs.. so $20.00 isnt terrible..

$800.00 is a steal for that machine..

tyler mckenzie
11-06-2009, 3:19 AM
Great finds. I was watching a general 100-5 sander today on a website i frequent. It went for 610cdn, in no where near the shape of yours. Yours looks brand new, you definitely can't complain. I have Max 24" disk, i use it considerably more then i thought i would, sharpens a pencil like nothing else.

Roy Wall
11-06-2009, 9:20 AM
Excellent buys Gary...........

You will enjoy both those machines!

lou sansone
11-07-2009, 9:18 PM
as others have said, great iron.. best wishes with it

lou

Rick Fisher
11-08-2009, 3:29 AM
I came back.. found this thread again..

You suck.. :)

I am really jealous of the General Sander.. Still happy for you.. :rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow, you must have a nice size shop for all that equipment. Even if I had found them, I couldn't have fit them anywhere!

Nice find!

Bruce Page
11-08-2009, 3:24 PM
Wow! There’s nothing like finding TOP quality machines at a bargain.

Nice score!

Joe Mioux
11-08-2009, 8:50 PM
gary, first congrats on the new sander.

was that thing ever used? it looks brand new.

joe

glenn bradley
11-08-2009, 9:52 PM
I'm sorry Gary. I typed up my response to your thread earlier but must have forgotten to post it. Let me correct that right away . . .

I HATE YOU!

Now that I have that out of my system. Congrats, very cool deal on a great machine.

Gary Herrmann
11-09-2009, 8:07 AM
was that thing ever used? it looks brand new.
joe

It had a very used disc on it and a belt that I may be able to get a little more use out of, but I wonder if they were the only ones ever put on the machine.

I'd say light use would be pretty fair. :)