PDA

View Full Version : Got to visit with Steve Jenkins and John Loftis!

John Keeton
11-05-2009, 9:04 PM
Got a chance today to visit with Steve Jenkins in McKinney TX and see his fantastic shop and some of his unbelievable work! When we arrived, Steve and his bride, Margie were installing some stone on the new portico they have built on their home - one of many great additions and renovations they have made to their '50's home purchased 4 years ago or so. The before and after pics were hard to believe, and the results of their labors have produced an inviting home.

Steve had just put the finishing touches on the new cherry kitchen cabinets. Grain match throughout, with some phenomenally figured veneered panels in the doors and drawer fronts. All Steve's design, and the craftsmanship was absolutely first class.

Steve and Margie's home includes many pieces of his design and make - all great work!

Steve has a wonderful shop, somewhere around 3,500', in which he does custom commissioned work for various clients and designers. The "excess" inventory of leftovers includes more wood of various exotic species than most Woodcrafts carry. There are treasures in every corner - not to mention his shop tools! His sliding table saw, with attachments, gave me a really bad case of TS envy! The collection of various unique tools and accessories included a couple of shaper cutters that weighed a good 10 - 15 pounds!

Creeker John Loftis met us there as an added treat. John is putting the finishing touches on his entertainment center (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117291&page=3). John lives about 45 minutes away, and unfortunately we didn't get a chance to see his work.

I also got an opportunity to view the walnut tree that Steve is going to take down. He has posted a thread here (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124001) offering some of the wood to creekers. In looking at the tree, it is obvious there will be some great wood for turners in that tree - several crotches.

Thanks, Steve, for the hospitality and visit. I know the pic police will be all over this for lack of proof! Maybe Steve or John will offer some corroborating testimony here!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
That's quite a gloat John! Congrats! Both of those guys are on my short list of Creekers I'd like to meet.

gary Zimmel
11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Congrats on the Creeker visit John!

With xmas coming I hope you are going to get a bit of that tree to send to a few Creeker buddies. Like the ones in Canada.:D

Steve Jenkins
11-06-2009, 8:13 AM
John, I really enjoyed your visit and hope you can come back when you're in town next time. Only too bad you couldn't stay longer. I'm glad we were able to get John Loftis out here too. I know he has much appreciated the long distance help you have given him on his project.
sorry we didn't take a pic. I'll try to get a couple of the walnut tree before and after it hits the ground.
Creekers are always welcome to come by when in the area. I've met a lot of you over the years and never had a bad experience with anyone stopping by.

Jim Becker
11-06-2009, 9:49 PM
I've visited Steve a few times at his old shop before he moved out to McKinney...and yes, his work is outstanding! Very much a gentleman, too.