PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Stain - Follow Up

Teresa Jones
09-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Once again, the great talent at SMC rescues a novice!

Last evening I went back to the finishing examples and tried some of the suggestions given in your responses.

I used the same sanding sequence on both the plywood and solid wood and then put a wood conditioner on half of the plywood piece. I applied the stain to the plywood and immediately wiped off the excess stain. I then applied the stain to the solid and let it sit for about 5 minutes. The pieces matched!!

The conditioner did effect the coloration, but barely noticeable. I think I can safely skip that step in this application but it is certainly good information for future reference.

Todd, thank you for the explanation on the plywood processing. I did not realize the plywood still had scratches from the lower grits. It makes perfect sense, now.

Thanks again,

TJ

Ken Salisbury
09-28-2004, 1:25 PM
and then put a wood conditioner on half of the plywood piece. I applied the stain to the plywood and immediately wiped off the excess stain. I then applied the stain to the solid and let it sit for about 5 minutes. The pieces matched!!
TJ

Told ya so :) :) :) - Every now and then I get one right :)

Yesterday 12:01 PM

I am only assuming that using the same stain on the cherry plywood is resulting in a darker color on the ply than on the solid cherry. If that is the case try applying some Minwax Wood Conditioner on a scrap piece of the ply and see if you get a closer match.