PDA

View Full Version : scms vs non scms for non wwer

Don Morris
11-05-2009, 8:52 PM
I have a son, who is definitely not a woodworker. He is busy in Scouts, coaches soccer, basketball, etc. He likes doing a few things around the house and even asked for a circular saw a couple years ago, and now needs to frame out a niche over a fireplace to hold a large (but not too heavy) HDTV. The circular saw could do what we need, but he thought maybe it's time to get a compound miter saw. He's familiar with my Hitachi scms but doesn't think he needs to move up into that class. I'm inclined to agree with him. He's willing to spend around $200. Maybe I could sway him to go up to $300. For someone who really isn't a bonafide wwer and loves wwing is there really anything wrong with just a plain compound miter saw. He's not going to go into trim carpentry and for the occassional project around the house, he could do a lot of nice things with something like a Hitachi compound miter saw which Amazon has for $150.00 or the Makita which is going for 199.00. I'm partial to the Hitachi but I'd have him go to a BORG and have a look at both.

Thoughts?

Michael M. Schaefer
11-05-2009, 9:19 PM
I do woodworking as a retired persons hobby & got along just fine with a old delta nonsliding then two years ago found a used bosch slider. I would go along with you on the non slider for most of the time. I do like my bosch.
Mike

Maurice Ungaro
11-05-2009, 10:52 PM
A day ago, Amazon had the Hitachi nonsliding 10" compound saw for $149. I'd go for that.

Mike Rees
11-06-2009, 8:03 AM
Any opinoins on the DeWALT 10 and 12" non sliders? They seem very stoutly built when compared to others at HD or Lowes. When I compare between the Hitachi and the DeWALT, the later just feels more substantial to me. Can't speak to the Makita as I can't find one to look at.

I know the DeWalt will set him back more than 150, but I've never been afraid of paying more for a tool if it holds up to its end of the bargain and is well made.

Walt Nicholson
11-06-2009, 9:23 AM
I have had the Dewalt 12" non slider for about 4 years with never a problem. If I did it again I would not get the 12" as it has a lot (for me anyway) of blade deflection when cutting angles (left/right tilt). I know you can buy blade stiffener products, just never got around to it. Next time I would probably go with a 10" slider and would not rule out the Dewalt as it has worked well for a hobbyist like me.

Kent A Bathurst
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Any opinoins on the DeWALT 10 and 12" non sliders? They seem very stoutly built when compared to others at HD or Lowes. When I compare between the Hitachi and the DeWALT, the later just feels more substantial to me. Can't speak to the Makita as I can't find one to look at.

No experience with Makita, but helped a non-skilled long time friend source the Dewalt 12" with the laser accessory, build an inset bench, setup the saw, etc. Seems like a solid saw to me - he was able to setup the laser dead-nuts in 10 minutes. My CMS is an out-of-production Delta 12".

Never had any motivaiton to go to SCMS.

Mike Rees
11-06-2009, 10:28 AM
No experience with Makita, but helped a non-skilled long time friend source the Dewalt 12" with the laser accessory, build an inset bench, setup the saw, etc. Seems like a solid saw to me - he was able to setup the laser dead-nuts in 10 minutes. My CMS is an out-of-production Delta 12".

Never had any motivaiton to go to SCMS.

Any reason you opted for the 12 vs. the 10? I'd like to think I only need the 10 but most folks on this forum seem to opt for the larger one. I figure there has to be a good reason.

Randal Stevenson
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
The best advice, you have already started on. Ask him about future planned projects, then ask his wife. You have already eliminated (from the sounds of it) the SCMS, so the big question is, will he regret buying a 10" saw, and wish he had a 12" for large crown moldings/other project?

Explain to him the differences between some of the miter saws; handle/angle gauge placement, degree adjuster (verses tapping it), etc. If you have a link, send him an article on tuning them up. Explain that the blades that come with them, generally get replaced quick (for finer woodwork).
I picked up a 10" GMC on closeout years ago, due to a gift card. Later I got a bargain on a Freud LU85 blade and tuned it up. It has been MORE then fine for the house projects, and only once did I wish I had a 12".
He may think he has one set of needs, and his wife has other project plans. Finding out the projects will help answer his needs.