PDA

View Full Version : Show Me Your Quilt Stands(Not Racks)

Jim Eller
11-05-2009, 8:41 PM
The better half saw a quilt stand in Cracker Barrel the other day and got the idea I should build some. I don't really like the style so I'm looking for ideas. This is a single leg stand and not the traditional four legged rack.

It is similar to this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31KnjrnuK3L._SS500_.jpg

This is not the one at Cracker Barrel but similar. This one appears to be very unstable.

Thanks for any pics you can supply.

Jim

johnny means
11-05-2009, 11:00 PM
At the risk of sounding clueless, I must ask, where would a quilt go on that thing? Why would one stand a quilt?:confused:

Mike Langford
11-05-2009, 11:05 PM
My wife sell some of her quilts at a local consignment shop....This is the stand I made for her out of Southern yellow pine.

I've got an order (from my wife :D) to make her 3 or 4 more! (were going to put a price on the stands too)

131964 131965

btw....We got the design from Cracker barrel ;):D:)

johnny means
11-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Oh, I see.:o I was picturing a queen size comforter smothering that little thing.

My wife would love one of those for her Snuggy.

Jim Eller
11-06-2009, 2:52 PM
Mike,

Proves two things,

1 - It's a small world.

2 - They really do all think alike!:D

Thanks,
Jim

Bill Arnold
11-06-2009, 3:27 PM
This is what I designed and built a few years ago:
http://bbarnold.com/images/qs_01c.jpg
The legs are bentood laminations.

Jim Eller
11-06-2009, 4:31 PM
Thanks Bill.

Nice looking piece of work.

This is what I designed and built a few years ago:
http://bbarnold.com/images/qs_01c.jpg
The legs are bentood laminations.

Phil Thien
11-06-2009, 8:48 PM
131964 131965

Your wife is a better quilt maker than I am a woodworker.

Cary Falk
11-06-2009, 11:21 PM
This is what I made, but I guess it is technically a rack and not what you are looking for?
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0061.jpg

Darrell Young
11-07-2009, 1:20 AM
Cary, LOL, your shop looks like mine. I bet we both know where every tool is at any given time, though.
Very nice quilt rack. My wife also will be doing quilts when she retires. She seen one in Wood Magazine a while back she want's me to make. Hope it turns out half as nice as yours did.

Philip Johnson
11-07-2009, 8:08 AM
All I have to say about quilting is that it is as bad as wood working, just took the better half to a sewing and quilting show. Now we need a 13,000 dollar computerized sewing machine to quilt the darn things. Think of the tools we could get for the price of one sewing machine.

Phil

Jeff Miller
11-07-2009, 8:15 PM
Tell your wife that one she wants needs to be screwed to the floor to meet OSHA standards very unsafe:eek:. Instead make her one like this ,my wife liked it:)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/Christmas/woodworking003.jpg

JEFF:D

Jim Eller
11-07-2009, 8:59 PM
Very nice Jeff, but we aren't married to the same woman;)

Tell your wife that one she wants needs to be screwed to the floor to meet OSHA standards very unsafe:eek:. Instead make her one like this ,my wife liked it:)

JEFF:D

Jeff Miller
11-08-2009, 7:16 AM

I totally understand:D

JEFF:)

Rick Thom
11-08-2009, 7:30 AM
That's a good thing because it's probably illegal.
I mocked up one like Bill's expecting it to be unstable. Surprisingly it isn't at all. I suppose the wider the stance, the better, but when the weight of the quilt is added, it actually becomes more stable, not less.

Doug Carpenter
11-08-2009, 7:52 AM
My wife IS the stand for the Suggie! I can't get that thing off of her!

Maybe next summer!

John Keeton
11-08-2009, 8:27 AM
Now we need a 13,000 dollar computerized sewing machine to quilt the darn things. Think of the tools we could get for the price of one sewing machine. PhilPhil, you weren't paying attention!! She needs a computerized embroidery machine ($9,000) to do the various quilting/embroidery operations AND a long arm quilter that can go anywhere from $5,000 and UP, UP, UP!! Of course, just like our "tools", that is just the beginning. The price I pay for half a truckload of wood, my wife can pay for a bag of fabric she carries easily in one hand!!

Back to the OP question, other than a quilt ladder which typically leans in to a corner, and a shelf application with a rod underneath for hanging the quilt, most all quilt displays I have seen have been like those pictured - and we have been in a BUNCH of quilt shops! (Payback for the numerous trips to woodworking stuff!)

Roger Benton
11-08-2009, 9:46 AM
here's one i did for my mother's quilt shop.
Excuse me, that's 'Quilte Shoppe' =-)
It's knock down-able, so it packs flat.

Bill Arnold
11-08-2009, 12:18 PM
... I mocked up one like Bill's expecting it to be unstable. Surprisingly it isn't at all. I suppose the wider the stance, the better, but when the weight of the quilt is added, it actually becomes more stable, not less.
Rick,

I'm glad you brought up the stability factor. I experimented just a little with a simple 'T' assembly with the bottom piece the width of the feet of my proposed design and a single vertical piece equal to the overall height. I could tilt it quite a bit before it got to the point of no return. The overall height is 37"; width at the extreme points of the 'feet' is 13.5".