PDA

View Full Version : Tools came in

Kenneth Whiting
11-05-2009, 7:17 PM
I FINALLY got my first set of turning tools in the mail. I wish I could say that all went well. The tools themselves seem to be in good condition. I think they are sharp. They're sharp enough I won't run my finger across them sideways.

The wood case they came in didn't fair too well. I don't know if the shipper broke it or if it was never put together properly. One side of the bottom and lid was lying in the box it came in. I read on here recently that the HF tools and BB are the same except HF at least glues the box together. No glue was applied to that side. The other side was a different story. It had so much glue on it that the case had to be pried open. And it must have been glued after the tools were put inside because they all have glue streaks across the tops.

I knew when ordering them that I was ordering from HF because they are cheap. I wasn't expecting perfection, and after calling them I will be receiving a new case soon. Good job on that part, I wasn't sure how that would go, but they came through. It's just that feeling you get when you open your new toy and it isn't just right.

Anyway, I wasn't able to start playing today but I will be posting my first bonker tomorrow. WOOHOO. I get to take a piece of wood that was round until someone made it square and make it round again.

George Morris
11-05-2009, 7:39 PM
When you are ready go to Thompson tools and order the best from him. You will have to make handles for them or buy pre made. Making your own are good practice. The tools are reasonable priced take a look!
I use the tools but have no financial interest in his tools. Just great tools. G

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2009, 8:45 PM
Kenneth - sorry to hear about your first experience with your new tools! Hopefully that will be remedied! Looking forward to seeing your first turning!

Be safe - have fun!

Kenneth Whiting
11-05-2009, 9:02 PM
Thanks Steve,

Speaking of safety, I talked to my safety man at work and got a Uvex Bionic Shield with his discount. I found a wide range of prices online. I ended up paying $18.00 for mine. Not bad I guess.

Mike Minto
11-05-2009, 9:06 PM
Pictures!!!

Kirk Miller
11-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Kenneth,
I bought some HF tools as my first set. They have been great, although I did have to glue my box back together when it arrived....lol I have had them over a year and still use most of them. I have replaced a few, and I would encourage looking for a good bowl gouge if you have your heart set on making some bowls. Other than that use them to learn what kind of tools your really want.

Kirk

Mark P. Brown
11-07-2009, 3:46 AM
Sears has a 1/2 inch bowl gouge for 20.00. Mine works great, I will upgrade when I get better.
Mark