PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Mirrored Acrylic?

Henry Liu
11-05-2009, 7:17 PM
While browsing Tap Plastics I noticed they sell mirrored acrylic. Anyone know if it cuts well? I would think I could just flip it over and cut the non mirrored size and the laser would bounce right off the bottom. Since it's only a few microns of aluminum it should just snap apart.

Kind of pricey so thought I'd ask before I ordered some but I need to make some stars for the Christmas tree :)

low cost Mach3 controlled CO2 laser cutters, Inkjet PCB kits, Laser 3D Scanning, Solidworks 3D Mechancial Design, Electrical Engineering Design, overseas CNC manufacturing consulting

Steven Wallace
11-05-2009, 7:25 PM
It cuts very easily and I cut it from the backside and just reverse the image prior to cutting. I use the standard cutting parameters for acrylic for my machine.

Dan Hintz
11-05-2009, 7:51 PM
There's no need to flip mirrored acrylic as the acrylic absorbs the beam... but it doesn't hurt if you get nervous about it.

Alexa Ristow
11-06-2009, 2:53 AM
I cut lots and have found the best result is to use transfer tape to protect the " mirror" - then once its cut just peel it off and you have a perfect product - I have attached a pic of the latest Xmas decoration - I am selling stax locally - you have to love this time of year!!!

Jim Beachler
11-06-2009, 8:22 AM
Alexa, What range of pricing are you getting for your ornaments?

Thinking of doing it in my area next year and just want to get an idea of what people are charging.

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2009, 7:37 PM
Mirror acrylic makes great cut lettering, especially on a black background. I have done several signs with it using the 1/4". I cut in reverse with the face down, otherwise the bounceback from the beam can ruin the silver at the edges.