PDA

View Full Version : Arched/Cathedral cabinet door template advice please

Paul Greathouse
11-05-2009, 4:57 PM
Which Arched/Cathedral cabinet door template guides do you like and why.

I will be starting a new set of kitchen cabinets in a couple weeks and my wife wants either Arched or Cathedral doors. I've made lots of regular raised panel doors in the past so I'm familiar with the basic process. I googled "Arched door template" and got several hits but I've never worked with them before so I'm not sure which would be best.

I will be using a shaper for the panels and a table mounted router for the rails and stiles if that matters.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

J.R. Rutter
11-05-2009, 6:07 PM
Not sure if you want a brand recommendation or just a style preference.

I use a commercial Panelcrafter jig that is expensive and overkill for a single job, but it is a nice tool.

For general style, I personally like a simple arch that runs from inside corner to inside corner on the top rail. These would be easy to calculate and / or draw to make your own templates. Just keep the width from the top of the curve to the top of the rail constant.

Plan to lose a couple of rails, but here is my method for minimizing damage:

Cope the infeed end (for when you shape and stick it, varies for cutter orientation).

Cut the curve by whatever means you prefer. You can finish with a flush cutter riding a template for the smoothest results, or just sand to a line if you want.

Stick the arched rail.

Now cope the other end using a square backer on what will be the top edge to avoid blowout, as normal.

Peter Quinn
11-05-2009, 7:32 PM
I haven't made cathedral (we call them tomb stones) doors, and I really only like to see them on certain pieces of period furniture. I find them a bit oppressive visually when they occur on every door in an entire kitchen. Personal preference thing I guess. I'd probably buy those templates if i were going to make them

For arch tops I would generally just make my own. If you are at all able to use schetchup you can draw the arches for each size quickly, keeping the elevations consistent across the set, and it will tell you the proper radius for each curve. Then you simply need to subtract for the panel tongue and make them with a router and trammel. I figure one half sheet of 1/2" MDF and a couple of hours to make them all? Might be worth your time if you have the time.

Arvid Podsim
11-05-2009, 8:48 PM
You may want to look at WEAVER (http://www.weaver-sales.com/index.html) Products a manufacturer of Door Systems Equipment & Tooling. I found a MANUAL CROWN RAIL & PANEL (http://www.weaver-sales.com/crown-jigs-manual.htm#Crown%20Panel%20Jig)JIGS & PATTERNS JM310, JM330 on ebay for 1/3 price of a complete set. The systems are designed for Heavy-duty use on a shaper and provide a robust feel when moving the Panels or Rails against a cutter on a "single pass".

The crown door jigs are fast to setup as the design uses accurate centering devices and the interchangeable patterns make it easy to change the sizes and styles of the panel or rail.

Both jigs keep your hands securely in place on the handle knobs and gives you more control of the operation as you trim the panel.:)

Paul Greathouse
11-05-2009, 9:42 PM
JR, She's undecided whether it will be Arched or Cathedral, its her decision to make. The templates that I googled were not commercial, they were Woodhaven, Eagle and others.
Depending on the price for the one you have, it may be a good investment for the future, I used to build cabinets for money several years ago and I am setting up my shop to function as an early retirement business (cabinet shop).

Peter, I will only be using them on for the top cabinets the bottoms will be regular raised panel. I've seen several kitchens with that arrangement and it looks good.

Arvid, Thanks for the link, that is a high price I'll have to see if I can locate a used set like you found.

johnny means
11-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I used MDF and toggle clamps, back in my built-in days. That way you can get exactly any size or shape that you want.

frank shic
11-06-2009, 12:59 AM
rockler has a set of templates for either one. i sold mine off on ebay after making a few cathedral raised panel doors and deciding that i NEVER want to make them again because of the extra time involved in trimming the panel and the top rail. the also set you up for potential problems down the line if you bore the hinges or the handle on the wrong side. be VERY CAREFUL when you bore since the door is no longer reversible like a regular square door would be. good luck!

Steve Clardy
11-06-2009, 1:32 AM
I have several different brands.
Sommerfield. Highest priced.
Pricecutter. Best prices. Can't find the link right now.
TWC-out of business I think.
Rockler

Matt Meiser
11-06-2009, 7:42 AM
I'm watching this thread with interest because at some point soon I'll be making all new doors and drawers for our kitchen and want to do arches on the upper doors.

Woodhaven makes a really nice $y$tem I saw at Woodcraft which also has a sled. The Sommerfield one's aren't bad. $70 for plastic vs $60 for MDF from Rockler or $100 for plastic.

Rob Cunningham
11-06-2009, 8:20 AM
I make my own templates for arched doors. There was good article in FWW issue 138 on making templates for arched doors. I never made the router trammel, but use the formula to make the templates. It's really not that difficult.

Quinn McCarthy
11-06-2009, 8:40 AM
Listen to Arvid and check out Weaver. The make great jigs.

Quinn

Matt Meiser
11-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Those Weaver jigs do look nice, but $800 for both jigs and a set of templates :eek:.

John Gregory
11-06-2009, 12:37 PM
We have made arched doors a couple of times. My wife drew the arch she wanted then we made templates from 1/4" MDF. It worked great and at a low cost.

Here is one example (http://woodworksutah.com/NewVanity1.jpg)

Another one (http://woodworksutah.com/Images/HarperSmith25.jpg)