PDA

View Full Version : Post pictures of things you find in your shop and can't identify

Bob Borzelleri
11-05-2009, 3:42 PM
I'll start. I have three of these things. Two have the same part number stamped on them and the third a different number.

The two longer ones are marked 113083 and the shorter is marked 113085.

For what it's worth, they were in a drawer in my grinder stand.

No prizes, just satisfaction of knowing that you just might know more about what's in my shop than I do.

BTW, if this is just too easy, just wait, I've been cleaning and reorganizing and I probably have enough material for a reality TV show.

Dan Manning
11-05-2009, 4:25 PM
I'm gonna toss this out there for a bite. They are brackets for extra grinding wheels, that bolt to the stand. Grinding wheels need care, and to keep them handy.:cool:

Chris Tsutsui
11-05-2009, 4:38 PM
I found this pin magazine, but they are an odd size.

1-1/16" long pins.

They are so small that 50 of them fit 1" across.

They have no head on them.

These do not go in a pneumatic, gas, or electic powered nailer.

They are not brad nails, they are not pin nails, they are not micro-pin nails.

SPOILER for the answer, highlight the text here: This is pretty dumb, but they are copy paper staples that get bent and put into paper from an industrial Konica Minolta Copier machine. I found them on the floor at the office and it took me a while to figure out where they come from.

Dan Manning
11-05-2009, 5:11 PM
For an air brad-nailer. Sold 5.000.00 to a box. I use them extensively.
Next?

Bob Borzelleri
11-05-2009, 5:21 PM
I'm gonna toss this out there for a bite. They are brackets for extra grinding wheels, that bolt to the stand. Grinding wheels need care, and to keep them handy.:cool:

Good try, but the stand is shop made out of wood and I didn't plan for any brackets for extra grinding wheels. But if nobody can ID them, maybe I can use them as brackets. :cool:

Bob Borzelleri
11-05-2009, 5:24 PM
For an air brad-nailer. Sold 5.000.00 to a box. I use them extensively.
Next?

Ok, this is intriguing. I do have a couple of brad nailers (Porter Cable and a Grex), but I don't recall these things coming out of either box. What do you you them for?

Or is the 5,000 to a box price an indication that this is a leg pulling?:rolleyes:

Jerome Hanby
11-05-2009, 5:26 PM
I bought a variety pack of pin nails that had several sizes including one size that wouldn't fit my pin nailer. Maybe yours are leftovers from a pack like that...

I found this pin magazine, but they are an odd size.

1-1/16" long pins.

They are so small that 50 of them fit 1" across.

They have no head on them.

Answer: This is pretty dumb, but they are from a staple magazine from an industrial Konica Minolta Copier.

Dan Manning
11-05-2009, 5:33 PM
I have a Husky brand set of pin-nailers, and those in your pic are likely 18 Gauge. HF and other outlets has them 5 thousand to a box for roughly 14-16 dollars. Don't recall the actual maker of them. They come in 16G/18G and I use them for trim and such. And no, leg pulling I leave to high school wrastlers!

Karl Card
11-05-2009, 5:42 PM
well my input on this one is that I know they are pen blanks, i just have no idea what kind of wood are in these here 10 cases of pen blanks...seriously..

John Coloccia
11-05-2009, 6:08 PM
I'll start. I have three of these things. Two have the same part number stamped on them and the third a different number.

The two longer ones are marked 113083 and the shorter is marked 113085.

For what it's worth, they were in a drawer in my grinder stand.

No prizes, just satisfaction of knowing that you just might know more about what's in my shop than I do.

BTW, if this is just too easy, just wait, I've been cleaning and reorganizing and I probably have enough material for a reality TV show.

Looks like a hook designed to wrap a garden hose around. The square hole is probably designed for a toggle bolt so it doesn't twist. Might also be a bicycle hanger. The shorter one would accomodate hanging the bike at a different angle. Heavens, I could think of a million different uses for those brackets.

Bob Borzelleri
11-05-2009, 8:13 PM
Looks like a hook designed to wrap a garden hose around. The square hole is probably designed for a toggle bolt so it doesn't twist. Might also be a bicycle hanger. The shorter one would accomodate hanging the bike at a different angle. Heavens, I could think of a million different uses for those brackets.

Reasonable guess, John. But, I'm relatively certain that they are related to one of the many things that followed me home from one of several woodworking shows over the past 5 years. Maybe not, but that's where my money is right now.

Zach England
11-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I was thinking this is a bench dog, but it isn't working very well. http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/zachslc/IMG_0360.jpg

Mark Elmer
11-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Zach,

That's not a bench dog silly. That's a cat's paw.

Bob Borzelleri
11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
well my input on this one is that I know they are pen blanks, i just have no idea what kind of wood are in these here 10 cases of pen blanks...seriously..

I'll hook one of them up in the lathe and give it a turn. I've been wanting to try the new laser gouge my wife bought me. :eek:

gary Zimmel
11-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Great post Zach.....

Made my evening.

Paul Atkins
11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I took off all the stuff I could identify, and found something I couldn't identify right away - a clean workbench. This is the next catch-all shelf.

Eric DeSilva
11-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Reasonable guess, John. But, I'm relatively certain that they are related to one of the many things that followed me home from one of several woodworking shows over the past 5 years. Maybe not, but that's where my money is right now.

Nah. Looks to me like the front cross bar and drivers side and passenger side frame brackets for a Valley Industries STOW-A-BALL gooseneck hitch head, probably for an F250 or F350 Ford pickup.

Harold Burrell
11-06-2009, 2:04 PM
I was thinking this is a bench dog, but it isn't working very well. http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/zachslc/IMG_0360.jpg

If you drive a couple of screws through it it should work better for you.

:eek:

;)

Rick Fisher
11-06-2009, 2:40 PM
Well .. I bought this quite a while ago.. Put it under the bed in the guest room.. then .. forgot it was there....

Now, I cant remember what it is.. I know its wood.. lol.. Wife found it about .. a week ago.. Which caused an .. " oh yeah "..

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1150007.jpg

I put it under the bed because I live in a humid area, the house has a heat pump, so its always the same temperature and humidity inside..

Anyone identify the species?

Jason Beam
11-06-2009, 3:00 PM
Looks like Wenge to me.

Chris Tsutsui
11-06-2009, 3:06 PM
For real.. I can't identify this.

I know it's probably a machinist tool of some sort, but I have no clue on what it does or how to use it.

It's about 8" long made of a good quality tool steel. There are allen bolts holding two cylinder heads on the ends.

The body has a taper and a slight indentation groove down the middle.

Bob Borzelleri
11-06-2009, 3:35 PM
Nah. Looks to me like the front cross bar and drivers side and passenger side frame brackets for a Valley Industries STOW-A-BALL gooseneck hitch head, probably for an F250 or F350 Ford pickup.

I probably should have mentioned that these things are about 6 and 4 inches respectively. But, for a minute there, I was rehashing the install I did of a hitch on my wife's VW Passat wagon.

Still thinking they have something to do with working wood.

Pat Johnson
11-06-2009, 3:53 PM
Chris
That is an adjustable sine bar. And yes it is a machinist tool

Myk Rian
11-06-2009, 4:00 PM
For real.. I can't identify this.

I know it's probably a machinist tool of some sort, but I have no clue on what it does or how to use it.

It's about 8" long made of a good quality tool steel. There are allen bolts holding two cylinder heads on the ends.

The body has a taper and a slight indentation groove down the middle.
It's a sine bar. You use it by placing one or more gauge blocks under one of the ends/cylinders (it's upside down in the pic) according to gauge block length, and angle desired.

Zach England
11-06-2009, 5:50 PM
OK, no pets this time. I have no idea what these little steel pieces are.http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/zachslc/IMG_0373.jpg

Jason Hanko
11-06-2009, 11:11 PM
http://216.119.73.43/products/images/prd_6.jpg
The CL seller threw in one of these along with a few featherboards when I bought my G1023...he had no idea what it was and neither did I - kinda looked like some sort of push stick maybe?
I mostly forgot about it, and it sat in my junk cabinet for awhile. Then one day I found myself in need of a magnet.... out came the hacksaw and I had myself two powerful rare earth magnets, and a nice molded plastic handle for a jig or something.
About two days after Im walking around in Woodcraft and see one hanging on a wall..... A $30 drawer slide mounting tool!?! (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11144)
D'OH!
That would have come in handy, actually....:mad::(

Jason Hanko
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
OK, no pets this time. I have no idea what these little steel pieces are.http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/zachslc/IMG_0373.jpg

Shoehorns?

Dan Manning
11-07-2009, 1:31 AM
The piston is an old Chevy, small block, early model. And I'm interested in the Tachometer. Speaker I can't use. I'm also curious about the old F-Hole guitar. Yours? Now that would be a nice finishing project.

Keith Westfall
11-07-2009, 1:45 AM
Spring leafs...

Dell Littlefield
11-07-2009, 9:22 AM
They are not shoehorns or leaf springs. I also have some of them. Each end slid into a pocket similar to a biscuit. Darn if I can remember what for though.

Josiah Bartlett
11-08-2009, 2:33 AM
They are not shoehorns or leaf springs. I also have some of them. Each end slid into a pocket similar to a biscuit. Darn if I can remember what for though.

They look like motorcycle tire changing spoons.

Doug Carpenter
11-08-2009, 7:57 AM
I don't know what the hardware things are but that thing on the bech is lunch!