PDA

View Full Version : Cleanin'? We don' need no stinkin' cleanin'!

Belinda Barfield
11-05-2009, 2:55 PM
You mean I'm supposed to clean this? I thought it was like a good cast iron skillet and needed to be "seasoned". :D

Actually, it's scheduled for a good cleaning this weekend.

Tim Bateson
11-05-2009, 3:01 PM
That doesn't hardly look used. :eek:

Lee DeRaud
11-05-2009, 3:14 PM
That doesn't hardly look used. :eek:+1.

Remember: "Once a year, whether it needs it or not."

Belinda Barfield
11-05-2009, 3:25 PM
Saturday is bath day here in Georgia, weekly for me, yearly for the grid. ;)

The cleaning must be done . . . sigh. That gold colored stuff in little piles under the grid is very abrasive "dust". It gets all over everything and is a real pain to clean up! Love the material, hate the clean up.

Tim Bateson
11-05-2009, 3:33 PM
You don't cut near enough wood. :p

Belinda Barfield
11-05-2009, 3:39 PM
You don't cut near enough wood. :p

Interestingly enough Tim, as best I recall I have cut wood once in the almost three years I've had the laser. I cut two business cards out of a piece of veneer. Considering I have a stack of veneer sheets about three feet high you would think I would use it for something!

Mark Ross
11-05-2009, 4:39 PM
Mine was much filthier...took a whole day and almost called a priest for an exorcism...I'll tell you what...say what you want but Epilog makes an awesome product.

Great tech support, they don't bend you over and make you pay "maintenance" fees for either tech support or software and flash upgrades to the OS in their machine.

We have a 3D printer that has been giving us some grief when we print things in a certain axis. It isn't the 3d file, because if we rotate the axis, the problem goes away. Then we ran out of the support material and it wanted us to change not only the support material but also the ABS cartridge...obviously crappy software...

So I call and get the shock of my life...the machine is so "old" (uh...right...)that we would be better off purchasing a new machine (at least 15-20k) because to get the software "upgrade" we have to not only pay for a year's support...they want us to pay support all the way back to the original purchase date.

Since we spoke to someone using a land line based telephone and it crossed at least one state line, I am pretty sure the expletives that I used have caused me to be liable for a misdemeanor if not worse...:D

I told them stuff it and they should look at how great Epilog treats their customer base...

Now if we could just get a free Epilog Photograv equivalent at no charge (hint hint wink wink), they'd be even more awsome!

Jim Good
11-05-2009, 5:20 PM
What kind of 3-D printer are you using?

Jim

Garrett Nors
11-05-2009, 6:01 PM
I spent about 3 hours and 3 cans of brake cleaner to get my table cleaned up...and that really didn't even work very well. I ended up sanding our steel sheet down and well the vector grid is just dirty as ever :)

Andrea Weissenseel
11-06-2009, 1:54 AM
Hm - I thought about cleaning mine, not seriously but I thought about it :D

Now that I've seen yours Belinda, I decided the poor thing definitely will take a shower on the weekend :rolleyes:

Michael Hunter
11-06-2009, 9:38 AM
I did a run yesterday to find out how long a job would take - so no material on the grid and I didn't bother to turn the exhaust on.

The grid actually CAUGHT FIRE as there is so much muck stuck to it!

I have seen references to "Krud Kutter" as being goo for grid cleaning, but we don't have it in the UK. Any other suggestions?

Dan Hintz
11-06-2009, 9:50 AM
I have seen references to "Krud Kutter" as being goo for grid cleaning, but we don't have it in the UK.
Look a little harder... :)
http://www.krudkutter.co.uk/

Mark Ross
11-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I spent about 3 hours and 3 cans of brake cleaner to get my table cleaned up...and that really didn't even work very well. I ended up sanding our steel sheet down and well the vector grid is just dirty as ever :)

Garret,

Didn't the break cleaner eat the painted finish? That is why I decided not to do it...yet...maybe in the spring...

Mark Ross
11-06-2009, 10:36 AM
What kind of 3-D printer are you using?

Jim

It's a Dimension and they nickel and dime you to death...a complete 180 from the great service Epilog provides.

Michael Hunter
11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks Dan!

Have never seen it in the shops and had not thought to buy that sort of thing on-line.

Dee Gallo
11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I used the Krud Kutter suggested in another post and it works like magic! I added my own extra finishing touch using a 22 caliber gun cleaning brush... just the right size for brushing out the inside harder spots without deforming the honeycomb. It was amazing how clean it got, considering this was probably the first real cleaning in years... the guy before me had it pretty well blackened and I was only able to get surface dirt off until Krud Kutter came along. Now it's like new.

Good stuff! Faster and easier to use than anything else I've tried and no bad fumes, either.

cheers, dee