PDA

View Full Version : Table mounted Router

CPeter James
09-28-2004, 10:37 AM
I am in the market for either a table mounted router a or a shaper. I am leaning towards the router because I have a good collection of router bits. Are there any routers out there that have height adjustment from ABOVE the table and do a good job at the height control? I don't want to spend another $300 on a lift mechanism if I don't have to.

CPeter

Dean Baumgartner
09-28-2004, 10:50 AM
CPeter,
If you have a plunge router checkout the woodpeckers plunge lift. $119. Works very well and is above the table adjustable.

Dean

CPeter James
09-28-2004, 1:03 PM
I don't have a plunge router yet. I am hoping to find one that I can use without buying an ad-on lift mechanism.

CPeter

chris toomey
09-28-2004, 7:05 PM
doesn't the 3hp milwaukee adjust from above the table. pricey, but built for table use.

Curt Harms
09-28-2004, 7:54 PM
Hi

In addition to the Milwaukee, the PC 89? is adjustable from above the table and bits can also be changed above the table without additional hardware. I have a Freud 2000E plunger. I had a crank on the height adjuster which worked OK then added a RouterRaizer (r) for $89. That works slick. Even thought it's not advertised as such. I can change bits above the table on the Freud with a bent wrench. I've had the Freud for about 7 years; above-the-table height adjustment was not on the scene when I bought it.

HTH

Curt

Chris Padilla
09-28-2004, 8:23 PM
Woodpeckers PRL (precision router lift) is under $300 but probably close enough for you to not consider it. I have it and love it...so accurate..so accurate.

Joe Meazle
09-29-2004, 3:16 AM
CPeter,

I have a Hitachi M12v and a Jessem Rout-r-Lift. It has quite a few miles on and works great. The Rout-r-lift allows me to keep the router completely plunged this way I can spin large bit with no modification to the router. Since they are not restricted by the opening on the router or the "ears" that hold the guide bushings. This also allows me to change bits above the table. I am able to use the factory wrench but will probably get a bent wrench to make it a little easier. I think the Hitachi is a bargain, as do many. It offers plenty of speed variation, soft start and plenty of power. I am not in a production environment. Its weak point is its collet and the bushing for 1/4" bits. This has never given me any trouble but I prefer the PC collets. If I was in high production and wanted to spend more I would look at the big Bosch plunge and the fixed base routers by PC and Milwaukee. I have heard that the PC 7518 can get hot and get stuck in its base, not an issue if using a lift. That Milwaukee is very impressive but you still have to reach under the table to release the motor for height adjustment above the table. I am pretty tight so I would probably get 2 Hitachi routers instead. If I had the space and $ I would add a shaper to my shop but I would not give up the router table. I bought the Jessem used from John Lucas for a little over ½ of new 180 now. The router was 160 at amazon So brand new this would be $160+180-25= 315. It was $ well spent for me. I will not be with out a lift again. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Joe

Jim Knauss
09-29-2004, 4:25 AM
CPeter,

I got the PC 895 router kit for X-mas last year and love it. You get a plunge base and fixed. I have it mounted in a tool dock table and it adjusts and changes bit above the table. The kit was under 300 bucks. Hope this helps...
Jim